Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Gonna become a Vol. FFer!

Just wanted to let everyone here know that I've made my first major step towards becoming a paid firefighter. This week I filled out an application to become a volunteer firefighter through the Dallas Oregon Firehouse. I went to their business meeting on wednesday and am psyched to begin my training come this July. Also wanted to say thanks to everyone for having this forum, there's a lot of knowledge on here and I plan on using it to my advantage through my journey to become a paid firefighter.

Josh
    -Josh Brehm

www.crossfit.com

That's great that you decided to volunteer, but in a lot of cases, it really has little to do with becoming a paid FF. There are many places that don't care what you did before you applied to them. Personally, accept all the training you can get as it never hurts. Good luck.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Good for you, Josh -

I hope your department has a really good training program and you take advantage of every opportunity that you can to learn. Although a paid department might not give a lot of consideration to your volunteer time, it's not a waste at all. It should help you decide if firefighting is what you really want to do. And if in the long run you continue with something else for your "day job"... being a volunteer FF does have merit of its own besides just being a stepping stone to a career. Well, in my opinion, at least.
    -------;- "Aaaaa!!"
    Remember - always wear your helmet around one-eyed women with pike poles

Forum Member

Bones42 and baileydonk, thank you for your responses. I think you may have misinterpreted what I meant in regards to being a vol. FF being my first step towards going career. Becoming a vol. is the first step I *can* take. Come this fall I'm going to be enrolling into Chemeketa Community College to take classes to prepare me for selection into their Fire Science/EMT-P program the following fall (will be graduating with a double degree). I'm using my experience as a vol. to enter the fire science course hopefully one step ahead of the majority of the other students coming in, and to just get experience as a firefighter. All of this, of course, comes second to the main reason I became a firefighter, which is to help people who need it.
    -Josh Brehm

www.crossfit.com

Forum Member

Good luck and welcome! Just remember when you start applying for career positions dont get discouraged, keep applying as many times as it takes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFTMEDIC
    Good luck and welcome! Just remember when you start applying for career positions dont get discouraged, keep applying as many times as it takes.

The above speaks the truth indeed. Applying for Career Firefighter positions isn't a one shot deal. I started applying in 1994 {after 5 years volunteer expirence} and finally was hired in 2002.

It takes time. Gain the training, gain the knowledge, and above all be patient.

Forum Member

Good luck on your career goals. Remember to learn as much as possible and ask a lot of questions.

Forum Member

Good luck! Hope all goes well for you. Just remember that you can never have too much training.

Thread Information