Thread: E-one Typhoon

Forum Member

Default E-one Typhoon

We are looking for information on the typhoon cab and chassis tradition series pumper. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with this pumper. When you bought this pumper what was the selling point compared to others such as a pierce,sutphen, ALF or others. any info would greatly be appreciated.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by firersq615
    We are looking for information on the typhoon cab and chassis tradition series pumper. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with this pumper. When you bought this pumper what was the selling point compared to others such as a pierce,sutphen, ALF or others. any info would greatly be appreciated.
    The E-One Typhoon , Pierce custom Contender , Sutphen Sheild series , & ALF Metro all range in price from $ 220,000 - $ 275,000 with option . The largest engine is a Cummins 400 hp , with a 3000 EVS trans , 1250 gpm - 1750 gpm pumps , all four trucks are a good deal if your department is looking for a custom chassis pumper with room for 6 firefighters !... Try to look for a body built with 3/16 " Aluminum over one built with 1/8 " for a few dollars more or go with a stainless steel body option w/ 12 Ga.
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 05-05-2006 at 08:29 PM.

Forum Member

The Typhoon is a nice cab, I like it more than the C2 cab, can't exactly say why, I just do. The switches are located on the engine doghouse so both the operator and the officer can reach them (Cyclone's are above the driver). Its got a simple interior with no naugahide, just plain grey plastic, though the driver's arm rests are a nice touch. Plenty of room for a 6 man cab, or 4 with two cabinets. The only engine they are putting in is Cummins, mostly 330HP ISC, though bigger Cummins engines are available.

The Tradition body is pretty well built now a days, earlier ones were a little on the cheap side, but the newer ones are pretty good. Its an extruded aluminum body just like E-One's higher models and has a pretty good compartment layout. Not many options available from the factory, though most dealers can add things like class A foam and hard hose bed covers. If you get to demo one, get on a hydrant or water hole and really fill the tank, let it overflow to top of the tank for a good 30 seconds or more and then check the compartments. Some of these bodies have an issue with leaks on the back side of the compartments. Its easy to fix, just sucks to find out yours is one once all your gear is inside. Also, make sure the multiplex tells you what compartment door is open in the back, not all of them do. Makes it so much easier to find a door ajar.

I'd say you could do a whole lot worse! Good luck.

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Temporarily Inactive

Word has it that Liberty Township in Trumbull County Ohio north of Youngstown has not had good success with the Typhoon model they purchased. Perhaps you may wish to verify by contacting them. They may have a website with an email address.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have an '04 E-One Typhoon with seating for 6, in cab forcible entry compartment, 6 position David Clark headset system, Cummins 400hp engine with Jake Brake, EVS3000 transmission, Alcoa aluminum wheels, Waterous 2000GPM pump with the Eclipse 200CFM CAFS with clean Chauffeur side pump panel (No intakes or discharges), 500 gallon booster tank, 20 gallon Class A, 50' tele-boom, 800' of 5", 800' of 6", 2-1-3/4" speedlays, 2-2" crosslays, 1-2-1/2" rear preconnect, 2 Electric rewind hydraulic hose reels, Holmatro spreader, cutter, 2 rams and halligan in front bumper, cribbing compartment, vehicle roll-over strut set, 6 hi-pressure lifting bag set, 12 spare SCBA bottles (6 per side), portable extinguisher compartments, Harrison 10KW PTO generator, 5 fix-mounted 900W floodlights with angle down brackets, 3600W Will-Burt light tower on cab, 200' of 12/3 wire on electric rewind reel with Fire Power junction box in Officer side dunnage area deploying thu side pump panel, 2-portable floodlights, 5 cab mounted Tomar mini-bars with traffic pre-emption, 2 Tomar half mini-bars for upper rear warning, Whelen lower level warning lights all the way around, 3 pull-out trays, 3 vertical pull-out tool boards, etc.

I listed all that to show that this, like other makers chassis, can be outfitted as you need it to be and that it is not just a bare-bones chassis with limited potential.

All in all, this pumper has been great for us. One major issue which was a Cummins recall for blowing oil down the left side frame rail. Other than that, small warranty matters that have been resolved. We considered sticking with a Cyclone II chassis like our previous ladder tower but tried the Typhoon. In a nut shell, we would buy another.

Just a thought.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

We have 2 E-One Typhoon rescue pumpers, with 30 gallon AFFf tank and 750 gallons of H2O. no problems at all.

We have two Typhoon pumpers at the Massachusetts Fire Academy, they get used a lot, no major problems at all.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Hi

We have a 2004 typhoon and we have had our share of problems.Here is the list

in the first year of service

cab cracks arount crew door to roof line
    ABS light comes on driving down the road and when pumping
    2 rocker switchs fail,cant get new ones
    false pump shift
    pump would go into gear but class one gov would not rev up engine
    P/S leak
    P/W switch sticks on
    I knowi am missing some others

Still have ABS problems
    Still have rocker switch missing(i even sent old one to factory and still get it right)
    We had a BIG problem with warranty, Our local dealer was getting F@@K over
    be eone and they would not pay for warranty work.So all the dealers in Canada stop doing work and we were left out. We had to fight to get anything down and that is why most of the dealers is canada are gone.

Mark

Forum Member

Question Cab built by 3rd Party?

Is E-One building that cab or is it a Cincinnati cab? I know Sutphen has some of their cabs built there and so does HME. Doesn;t that effect the warranty?

Temporarily Inactive

E-One builds all of their own cabs .

MembersZone Subscriber

Spartan also gets bare cabs from them by the train load. It doesn't effect the warranty. No matter if Spartan or HME buy their cabs from Cincinnatti Cab or the ones I build in my garage, it is still a Spartan finished product with their warranty when they ship it to the body builder.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by STATION2
    Spartan also gets bare cabs from them by the train load. It doesn't effect the warranty. No matter if Spartan or HME buy their cabs from Cincinnatti Cab or the ones I build in my garage, it is still a Spartan finished product with their warranty when they ship it to the body builder.
    I am all most 100% positive that " Marion Body Works " builds all of the Aluminum cab for " Spartan " fire apparatus chassis !...

Temporarily Inactive

Was looking for a website for the Cincinnati Cab . Anyone know where to find it?

Thread Information