Forum Member

Default Now that is dedication!!

While driving thru Indy today, I heard about this fellow firefighter walking 13.1 miles in his full turnout gear for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. I just thought this was worth mentioning. I know for a fact that 1 mile would be torture on myself. I can't imagine walking 13 miles. He will have several firefighters running with him and others that will switch out the air bottle when the bell starts ringing. He has to walk this mile in 18 minutes or less or he has to leave the track according to the rules. He does wear a cooling vest to keep from getting over heated. Here is an article on this I found on the internet.

When Running 13.1 Miles Just Isn't Enough
    A Bloomington firefighter plans to briskly walk the 500 Festival Mini-Marathon on Saturday May 6th, 2006 in full firefighting gear. Captain Steve Coover says he'll raise money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association by racing while wearing his helmet, jacket, pants, oxygen tank and breathing mask.
    More than 35-thousand people are expected to participate in the annual 13-mile race that kicks off the month-long activities leading up to the Indianapolis 500. Coover ran the mini-marathon last year in conventional jogging attire. Then he decided to add the extra equipment in hopes of drawing donations for charity. The gear weighs about 40 pounds and is the same firefighters use when entering a burning building. If you'd like to donate money to the Muscular Dystrophy fun, send checks to:

Bloomington Firefighters
    P.O. Box 474
    Bloomington, IN

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Gee wilikers batman!!

wow that is outstanding kudos to the firefighter...and his support staff! when i first got on the dept. someone go the hair brained scheme that 6 of us firefighters would carry and american flag in our local celebration(the 1st weekend before the 4th of july) in turnout pants, t-shirts and helmets. needless to say it was almost the hottest day of the year and the route was over 2 miles long. the day was so hot that our feet we sticking to the asphalt. then some committe member from the neighboring town saw us and wanted us on the 4th of july and that parade route was 5+miles long on about a 84 degree day. needless to say we had gotten our workout for awhile. not saying i know how they feel ...but maybe just a lil taste!!
    But there ain't no medals on my chest A*!holes cause im no hero, Im a fireman! (Denis Leary) Tommy Gavin - Rescue Me.

Thread Information