MembersZone Subscriber

Default Live-in members in a career dept.

Please let me know of any career departments that are allowing college students to participate in a live-in program at their stations....seems that the majority of the live-in programs are in volly companies. I cant seem to find a single agency that has career members and live-ins -- could it be a violation of Department of Labor rules? I hope not!

Chief
    Salisbury, NC
    (704) 638-4464
    Last edited by salisbury; 05-08-2006 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Add name and contact info

Forum Member

hey chief you can look up Kentland station 33 (http://www.kentland33.com/) some local places look at Leland, Wilson Fire/Rescue, Wrightsville Beach and Pinecroft-Sedgefield.

nevermind seems you don't receive them I have a question for you about the SFD.

Forum Member

Firefighter2230-

I participated in a live-in program for (3) years in Macomb (IL) while I went to school at Western Illinois University. There were two of us that lived at the firehouse 24/7 to supplement the full-time union staff. This program was active for (30)+ years before it was dropped last year. They received funding to supplement the (21) career personnel with (9) volunteers through a government grant.

It was a great program and was part of the reason that I chose firefighting as my profession. We had our own dorm room on the first floor and we shared a kitchen, weight room, and computer room with the full-timers.

We were given a free room and $100/month to participate in the program. Our job was to supplement the daily crews when we were not in class. Their daily staffing was (4-6) personnel without us, so they welcomed the two additional people. We also trained with them on a daily basis, if our schedules permitted.

It's too bad more universities do not offer similar programs. Many kids would jump at the chance to have their room and board paid in college and get to have the greatest job on campus!

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

Forum Member

that would be a great way to go to for salisbury especially if the community college right down the road from them would get back the fire science program and find some way to work it in. I for one know that I would sign up

MembersZone Subscriber

2230 and 599, thanks for the replies.

Ive been to Kentland (their actual station). They are a volly department, and PG county places paid firefighters in stations around Kentland- BUT NOT IN KENTLAND- which is a whole other story. Some PG county stations do have live-ins, but they are primarily volunteer organizations and have county career firefighters running from thier volly stations.

Leland, NC is a volly station, and the Wilson F/R doesn't have live-ins except for members attending the fire academy. I will call the P/S department... thanks for the info.

I have been in contact with Chief Smith of Wrightsville Beach. He has been helpful- but still a combo department with volunteer as a significant part of the workforce.

I need to find North Carolina (primarily- but other states may be helpful) career departments that have line-ins, if there are any.

I, myself was a student that lived in a fire station while attending college. I fully understand the great benefits and the opportunities that the system offers. We need to do further research on what the Dept of Labor may think of us scheduling duty-time for unpaid, or near-unpaid members.... We want to make sure that we dont have a DOL problem since we are a full-career department.

2230- I received your voice mail and will return your call soon. Thanks.
    Last edited by salisbury; 05-10-2006 at 04:20 PM.

Forum Member

ah ok sorry about that chief I don't know of any all career departments that have a live in program if I come across anything though i'll post it.

I also did not leave you a voice mail however I did send you an email if you could please get back to me on it.
    Last edited by Firefighter2230; 05-11-2006 at 07:08 AM.

Forum Member

Amherst, MA (home of UMASS) still has a live-in program I believe and they have a signficant compliment of paid staff

Ithaca, NY (home of Cornell and Ithaca College) - I think their bunker program might be defunct now, but they had one for many years and they to had/have a significant compliment of paid staff

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Kfactor... I will look them up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Eagle River Fire Protection District and the Vail Fire Department. Both are in Colorado
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

City of Fitchburg, WI is a combination department with a great internship program which I am just finishing up. 2 year, live-in program, go to school for fire-science at the Madison Area Tech College. Awesome porgram, if you would like to know more about it let me know. Also a couple of other depts. here in Dane County with intern programs, but they are mostly vollies. Good Luck.
    Last edited by Goober157; 05-14-2006 at 12:46 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

My dept. actually has the live in program. We have 6 students that live in the station. They have there own bunks, bathroom, living room, and computers. Most of their classes are all held at the station also. Each student rides out about twice a week.

Forum Member

I believe that Corvallis OR. has a resident program for students going to Oregon State. At least they did a few years ago when I was out there. They run paid fire/medics out there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Richmond Kentucky has 60 full time career personell and they hire 15 college students to function as the 4th person on their engines. The college students are assigned a shift and work a normal 24/48 schedule right along side the career personell. Works out great for Richmond due to the fact that their population fluctuates so wildly when school is in session compared to when it isn't in session. I'm one of the 15 students who work for the city, if you have any questions let me know.

Also check out the universities website:

www.fireandsafety.eku.edu

MembersZone Subscriber

Chief:

University of California at Davis has Resident Fire Fighters

Washington State University also.

Eagle River Fire Protection District

Lake Dillon Fire Protection District

http://fire.ucdavis.edu/main/ucdfdsrff.htm
    http://www.erfpd.org/page2.asp
    http://www.ldfr.org/residents.htm
    http://fire.ucdavis.edu/main/ucdfdsrff.htm