Forum Member

Default Any Experience with US Army Truck, Utility, 1 1/4 ton, 4x4 M-1008 Chevrolet?

We are looking for a 4x4 pickup to use to tow a boat, fight brush fires, and as a general utility. We have talked about getting a surplus US Army Truck, Utility, 1 1/4 ton, 4x4 M-1008 Chevrolet from the federal program. We have a couple of major projects - new ER and two new stations so we are looking at focusing the money on the major projects and limiting the cost of a new utility truck.

It was suggested that I should make an inquiry to see what experience people have had with these trucks? They seem to be common suplus items.

I wonder if we down the road got a M-1009 CUCV could that be a parts vehicle to the M-1008?

Thank you

Sean

MembersZone Subscriber

Go to grants forum. Search on FEPP. Many threads. You can reequip you entire FD on DOD/FEPP surplus if you work at it. www.stanleyiowa.com

Many DOD surplus civilain model pickups available. These are frequently overlooked as a bit more difficult for the state foresters to search for (thru the online listings). That is a bit more work in knowing what is going on. These tend to be more crewcab than regular cab. Evenly split between 4x4 and 4x2. Between 3/4t and SRW 1t. Fords or Chevy. In light duty Dodge or Chevy S10 4x2 regular cab.

For info on the CUCCV series to to www.steelsoldiers.com

Forum Member

The M-1008 aint the fastest thing in the world, but it's damn near indestructable......Put it in 4-Lo and it will pull a house off the foundation. It's not pretty, theres no chrome.....But anyone who buys one surplus aint looking for pretty or chrome! I think it would be a great choice for your needs.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Default thanks

Thank you for your comments - we are on the state list and they are looking at some trucks for us so hopefully the end of the month we will start to get some word on this project.

Sean

MembersZone Subscriber
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

I realize that this is late, but be very cautious when using surplus military vehicles. They use a special paint that gives of toxic fumes anytime it is cut on with a torch or grinder, or welded on. The M-1008 is a chevy 1ton pickup with a 6.2l diesel engine, a Th-400 auto trans, Dana 60 front axles and 4.10 gears in most. The truck has a dual alternator and battery system. In my opinion they would make a great fire truck as long as you don't want to go faster than about 65mph. The only problem that I know of is the paint issue. These vehicles were treated with CARC ( chemical agent resistive coating ) This protective coating will create a problem with paint being able to adhere to the truck without completely stripping the previous paint. I was a maintenance sergeant/mechanic in the army, and anytime we had to grind,cut,or weld on any equipment painted with the CARC paint we had to wear a respirator, and not just a mask due to the toxic nature of the paint.

Forum Member

we have painted 5 ton and a pickup. we just scrubbed them down with dawn dishsoap in warm water and scuff pads. all the "loose" paint/treatment comes off and the new paint sticks great.

Forum Member

All of our grass rigs are M-1008s. They all had the same paint and we were able to do the same thing... Scuff sand, Clean, seal and paint. We have 7 of these trucks and have little to no problems with them other than finding 24 volt parts for them. We also built a deuce and a half as a grass rig and were able to do it the same way. If the 1008s won't go in the deuce will. Great trucks.

Forum Member

Quaker, What state are you in?

There is also a new program, FFP, the new program gives ownership to the department if requirments are met after 4 years.

I have seen a few befor and after and I think they are great trucks for the price. As someone else said not fast just strong.

Forum Member

Check your states programs. In Washington the department now gets ownership right away. We just got a 1990 IH 4900 6x6 it had a 10ton crane and flat bed that we got to sell and put the money toward the rest of the truck.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Forum Member

Smile Indestructable

We have been using these trucks as grass rigs for several years now. They are probably one of the lowest-cost solutions we have come up with in recent years and have been darn near indestructable other than an alternator or two. When we get them, we do paint the chassis and go through and completely replace all belts, hoses, shocks, tires, etc. (Trust me, it is cheap preventative maintenance) The two things you will want to pay close attention to are the brake and the driveshaft. I was told many of the driveshafts are bent due to the way they are loaded by forklift onto the haulers. We have also seen many of these with sub-par brakes, so new rotors, pads, and a fluid change are always in order. They are not pretty, and don't run fast, but they keep the rookies out of trouble with the accelerator, and they go places a billy goat dreams of. We have 2 neighboring districts with bright shiny new grass rigs and every year when the fires reach the creek bottoms and ravines, they always end up calling our rigs as they don't want to tear theirs up. Just a little TLC and they will run for a long time. We've also bypassed and removed the blackout lighting switches. I know I will have to replace them at some point, as my board keeps offering to buy me some new pickups, but as for now I can't see replacing these rigs. For the money, you can't go wrong.
    Joe Fireman

Forum Member

Default Wow this is an old thread

Hi all -

I started this thread back in 2006. The department membership looked at these trucks, we looked at used NY DOT trucks, and the decision was to go new. So we have ordered a new 4x4 crew cab - not even sure the make - I think it is a Ford and it is under NY state contract. I think we will get it by September. The stated purpose of the truck is to support our farm rescue project to get access to remote locations. But like most fire trucks it covers multiple purposes.

The basic decision was that we did not want to inherit someone elses problem and we want to focus our volunteer time on fire suppression and rescue rather than building or repairing fire vehicles. We are fortunate that the community supports (financially) the department.

SK

Thread Information