Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tpmoonie11

Thread: Tampa Fire Rescue

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tampa Fire Rescue

I am currently in the Fire Academy and after serving a few years with a local department, I want to go up to Tampa to be a Firefighter. Does anyone have any information on the way Tampa does things, also I was looking for some pictures and wondered if anyone out there had any. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Stay low and stay safe.

Forum Member

The following is just an opinion. Look into Hillsborough Fire Rescue. I did my paramedic clinicals with them and was very impressed. They are thoroughly professional. Another consideration is retirement. HCFR is on the florida state retirement system (FRS). This allows you more latitude. If you want to move you simply find another department on FRS, such as Pasco, Hernando, Orange and many others. You don't lose any retirement.
    Also, when looking at Tampa, it will look like you will be getting a lot more money for pay. You aren't, because you pay your own retirement and benefits out of your check at Tampa. Make sure you compare apples to apples.
    Tampa has been losing a large number of firefighters to Hillsborough as has Pasco, Lakeland, Polk, and a number of other departments. There are reasons for this. If I were you I would take a few days and stop into the fire houses with a list of questions in a notebook and interview firefighters, paramedics, and captains.
    Also keep in mind HCFR will require you to have Paramedic certification within two years. As of two years ago, Tampa did not. That may have changed. When you go for paramedic DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER hillsborough community college. Let me say that again DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER Hillsborough Community College. Interviews with firefighters will back that statement unless they work at HCC. Go to FMTI (which is rapidly developing a good reputation), Manatee, or PHCC. HCC was unorganized, dysfuntional, and the director egotistical.
    As for "how Tampa does things", I can only say they are unique. Light duty there consists of phone watch and cooking for the on duty fire fighters. If someone calls out sick on a rescue unit they put that unit out of service instead of utilizing overtime. They do not seem to have an urgency to deal with BLS medical calls. Ask around about the stories of how Tampa BLS's patients and you will get no end to abandonment stories such as an AMR unit rolling up on an MVA to find a pt crying with her head taped to a headrest and a report taped to her chest and no Tampa unit in sight. One of my paramedic instructors from Tampa used to brag about finishing a report before getting on scene and never doing an assessment. To me that is no way to take care of the people who pay our salaries. Having said that let me also say they are very traditional and have a strong brotherhood. Their history goes back a long ways. They have good equipment. They are a solid fire department. I think there is just a lot of internal resistance to the medical side.
    Again this is just one firefighter's opinion. Do interviews in both departments to get the real "inside" story. No matter where you end up though we all do the same job. Good luck.

Forum Member

Cool tampa fire rescue

This Is For Dogboy, Who Wrote His Opinion On Tampa. First Of All I Do Not Know Were You Are Recieving Your Info On Tampa But Your Info Is Wrong. We Have A Private Pension That Is One Of The Best Pensions In The State. Every Department Has Guys That Dont Appreciate The Job That They Have, Hills Co. Included. And We R Not Losing Alot Of Guys To Hills. In My 8 Yaers On The Job We Lose 2.and When I Spoke To One Of The Indivuals He Had Regrets. Both R Good Departments, Dont Bad Mouth A Department That You Have No Clue On. You Are On The Outside Looking In. And As For Line Of Duty, We R Very Fortunate To Have A Light Duty Program. If I Were Lod I Would Recieve 65% Tax Free.no Matter First Day On The Job Or 20 Years On The Job. Tampa Is A Great Department, We Have Our Problems, Every Onr Does. For The Person Looking Into Tampa. Good Luck Do The Research. It All Depends On What You R Looking For. Dogboy Know The Facts About Other Departments Befor You Give Your Opinion!!!!

Forum Member

Cool Tampa Fire

Dogboy Please Do Me A Favor And Do The Research On Our Payscale. We Have A Private Pension. Means That No One Make Changes But Us ,not The State Nor The City Unless We Agree To This Change. The Starting Salary Is Base Pay Nothing Else Included,then Add Everything Else Into The Salary That Is Earn Throughout The Year And We Live Very Comfortable. So Dont Talk About Pay Wages Unless You Have The Facts. Who Do You Work For???

Forum Member

I wish I woulds went to Tampa FD many years ago when I had the chance, seems to me like they are the onlt Dept in our area that fights fire and does an excellent job. Was watching BayNews 9 a couple of weeks ago where they had a live feed of a structure fire with exposures prior to arrival of FD, there was excellent apparatus placement and use of lines.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the replies guys, I plan on talking to some of the crews up in Tampa before making any final decision on working there or anything, but I figured coming here would be an easy place to get some details, and that it has. I have talked to one of my Instructors and several Firefighter's about this and they have all told me that if they were my age they would go to Tampa, or that they wished that they had gone to Tampa when they had the chance. I have heard a few things about the Rescue's doing some not so great things, but if you look at any EMS system of that size you will likely find some issues. Thanks again for the replies and if you have any more to share please do.

Forum Member

Cool tampa fire rescue

jcast just writing to find out how your search for a fire department is going? are you working for a department yet or have you even applied? let me know if i can be of some help.

Forum Member

Default ???

can any body give me any information about the salary at tampa fire department for a firefighter/paramedic??? i understand the police get paid very well but what about the fire department??? let say in five years what kind of salary can somebody be looking at

Forum Member

Cool tampa fire rescue

when you are hired by tampa you are assigned to an eng co. whether you are an emt or paramedic. starting salary for someone just coming on the job is 33,546.24 base pay .nothing else included. then you would add all of the other incentives that come with the job , examples are ant off duty work you do fire watch, paramedic work in which can earn you anywhere from few thousand up to 15-20,000 extra a year . it depends on how aggressive you want to be working off duty. this is a perk that comes with the job when you are hired. if you do the physical incentive twice a year, then you will recieve 36 hours of your rate of pay at the end of the year. so after five years a ff base pay for a ff is 42,856.32. remember base pay. nothing else has been add. if you go into the rescue division after five years the pay is 47,823.36 base. we are up for a new contract so these numbers will change. it is a great job no matter what department you work for. stay focus and keep on training.

hpoe that helps you out let me know if i can help you out.are you working for a department now?

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey thanks for all of the help guys. I'm getting ready to start riding as a Volunteer Firefighter down in Manatee County, I finish my EMT school in August and take the National Registry in September. I'm getting ready to turn in all of my applications, as it looks now I'll be applying at Tampa, St. Pete, Sarasota, and all of the departments in Manatee County (11 in all). Thanks again for everything. Stay safe out there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does Tampa FD routinely (or occasionally) hire people over 30 years of age? I'm 32 and Tampa is a department of much interest me. I know there are age discrimination laws and all, but I also know of "unspoken" age requirements for some "local" KY FD's.

Forum Member

Default tampa fire rescue

there is no age restriction with CITY OF TAMPA FIRE DEPARTMENT
    FloridaRaised likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a physical agility test with TFD at the start of Dec.

Thread Information