Thread: FDNY Firehouses

MembersZone Subscriber

Default FDNY Firehouses

My father and I (both Firefighters in Maryland) will be travaling to New York city next week. While up in NY we would like to stop by a few firehouses, look around the station, checkout some apparatus ,meet some of the guys. Does anyone know of some firehouses that are a must see? It would be appreciated if anyone could list some good stations to stop by and see along with its location.
    Thanks

Forum Member

I don't know if they are keen on visitors, but I would definitely visit Engine 10/Ladder 10 at 124 Liberty Street, Manhattan. Its right near the World Trade Center site.

Forum Member

Never been there myself, but E82 / L31 would seem like a must-see...
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

Forum Member

I certainly cant speak for the lads at 10/10. But I will venture a guess, and say leave them alone. I am sure that every person in the world who's 4th cousin twice removed is a volunteer in Podunk, Ia. has knocked on their door to try and get pictures or buy a t-shirt.

NYC is huge. Where you go all depends on what Borough you are visiting. When in Lower Manhattan, 20 Truck (251 Lafayette St) is a good stop, as it is right near the NYC Fire Museum. In Midtown, 54 Engine and 4 Truck (782 8th Ave) is always friendly for visitors. Rescue 1 (530 W. 43rd St between 10th & 11th Aves, if you can catch them in quarters) is a good stop also. Other good places: 1 Engine/24 Truck/D1 (142 W 31 St.) E3/TL12 (146 W. 19th St) Uptown houses: (Harlem!!!) E69/L28/B16 (248 W. 143 St) E59/L30 (111 W. 133 St DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS)

In the Bronx, I highly reccomend the following: E46/L27 (460 Cross Bronx Xpswy) E88/L38 (2282 Belmont Ave btwn 182 & 183 st) and as the gentleman said in a previous post- E82 & L31 is a great stop (bring money for T-Shirts 1213 Intervale Ave) Rescue 3 always has open arms (453 176th st between Park & Washington Aves) E72 & Satellite 2 (3929 E Tremont Ave) makes great Corned Beef sandwiches for lunch.

Brooklyn- E207/L110/Bn31 & D6 (172 Tillary St at Gold St) is a good place to visit if you can find a place to park. One of the biggest houses in the city, was quarters for the Super Pumper System, still has "Super Pumper" & "Super Tender" above the doors. Nearby E205 & L118 (74 Middagh St) good stop. Squad 1 (788 Union St) and Rescue 2 (1472 Bergen St) if you can catch them in quarters. E211 & L119 (26 Hooper St) also a good stop, another huge station that was once quarters of the Super Pumper.

Ok, that should be enough to get you into trouble. In all seriousness though, I have yet to stop at an FDNY Firehouse and receive a bad reception. The ones that I have mentioned I just happen to know for a fact that they went above and beyond for a buff who showed up at the door asking for the rigs to be pulled out for a picture; or where I used to ride when I was younger when you could get away with riding in NYC. Two things you should do when/if you visit firehouses in NY: 1. Knock with your elbows, because your hands should be full of cakes, pies or other goodies. 2. NEVER turn down an offer for lunch or dinner) Not only would they be insulted, you may just turn down one of the best gourmet meals you would ever have!!!

And, I have to add this as a final word: If you dont go anywhere else, or stop at any other stations....Two of the best places to stop in the entire city are Engine 88/L38 in the Bronx, and the Brooklyn Communications Office (dispatch) at 35 Empire Blvd. Trust me.

Good Luck on your buff tour. Empty your car, leave NOTHING inside- loose change, boxes, envelopes, when I say NOTHING, I mean NOTHING except the interior components of your car. Watch your backs at all times, be careful where you park- if in doubt, ask the man on watch about your park job. Bring your camera, money for T-shirts, and if invited for a meal, your appetites. BE SAFE.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 05-09-2006 at 10:30 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for all the info. I will be mostly in manhattan, but do plan on trying to get out to the other boro's to see some stations. I will be going by L118's quarters, I worked with a guy here in MD who's uncle was assigned to L118 and passed away on 9-11, a few of us FF's went up for his funeral, So L118 is a must. A fellow FF from my dept was up afew months ago and stopped in at E54/L4, he said the crew there was top notch, so Im sure I'll try to get by there. Also E82/L31, the Fire Museum and being a former member of an E10/T10 here in Maryland the 10 House is diffently on my list.

As for knocking on the door, bagging for a shirt/Patch or whatever isnt what Im going for, Yes I do collect like most FF's but just to go see a FDNY house, apparatus and meet some new friends like I do on all my travels is my plan for the trip, nothing else. My dad and I are not stopping by to be of any trouble, just some fellow FF's on vacation stopping by to say hi. We wont be "Knocking" on any doors to start with, If the bay doors open then We'll stop, if not thats ok. We'll be happy just to see 1 station, 1 peice of apparatus from the FDNY and that will make the trip worth it. (Plus with the Mom tagging along we wont be able to stay long, unless were invited to dinner, LOL..

Again thanks for the help
    Bobby

Forum Member

Ya gotta stop at E62/L32.....tell them you are a buff and a guy from firehouse.com sent ya....LOL

In all seriousness though, if you want to check out some beautiful historic houses, go to 33 & 9 on Great Jones Street downtown. Im not sure how receptive they are to visitors (I havent had the opportunity to work there) but the house is huge, and beautiful. If you do go to 82/31, you might be in shock at what the neighborhood looks like. But they are a great bunch of guys. At 88/38, you will probably have some of the best meals you've ever had, as well as at 46/27. They shop at Arthur Ave, the real little italy of NYC.
    Last edited by nyckftbl; 05-11-2006 at 12:30 PM.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CJPTRUCKIE
    Thanks for all the info. I will be mostly in manhattan, but do plan on trying to get out to the other boro's to see some stations. I will be going by L118's quarters, I worked with a guy here in MD who's uncle was assigned to L118 and passed away on 9-11, a few of us FF's went up for his funeral, So L118 is a must. A fellow FF from my dept was up afew months ago and stopped in at E54/L4, he said the crew there was top notch, so Im sure I'll try to get by there. Also E82/L31, the Fire Museum and being a former member of an E10/T10 here in Maryland the 10 House is diffently on my list.

As for knocking on the door, bagging for a shirt/Patch or whatever isnt what Im going for, Yes I do collect like most FF's but just to go see a FDNY house, apparatus and meet some new friends like I do on all my travels is my plan for the trip, nothing else. My dad and I are not stopping by to be of any trouble, just some fellow FF's on vacation stopping by to say hi. We wont be "Knocking" on any doors to start with, If the bay doors open then We'll stop, if not thats ok. We'll be happy just to see 1 station, 1 peice of apparatus from the FDNY and that will make the trip worth it. (Plus with the Mom tagging along we wont be able to stay long, unless were invited to dinner, LOL..

Again thanks for the help
    Bobby
    I dont want you (or anyone else, for that matter) to get the idea that I go to every FDNY house and beg for shirts and patches. Quite the contrary. When I buff FDNY (which in the age of me having a wife and 2 little ones)which is happening less and less these days, I go to houses where I know people, they are assigned a piece of apparatus that I want to photograph, or I have heard through sources that they are extremely friendly. While there, if I see their patch or shirt and like it, the first thing I do is mention that I would like to purchase one. Sometimes this happens, sometimes not.

As for you not wanting to "knock on the doors", don't be afraid to do this- as I mentioned in a previous post, I have yet to receive an unfriendly reception at an FDNY house. It's kind of like that old saying- "There is no such thing as bad sex, just some of it is better than the rest." Same thing applies to FDNY houses- There aren't any bad ones, just some of them are better than others.......

And as for 10/10- I have heard through more than one source: That while they appreciate the attention and the sentiments/condolences offered by those who visit (which on a summer weekend afternoon averages in the hundreds) they simply wish they were invisible, or on a back street where no one would see them. If you want to drive or walk past and photo the house, who is going to stop you. Remember what is less than 100 yards from their front door, and that THOUSANDS of people visit it. I for one, will NOT knock on the door of this house unless specifically invited by a member.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 05-13-2006 at 09:51 AM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Great post Buff,

I've been detailed to the 1st Battalion a number of times and I don't know anyone in the job that envys the situation 10-10 finds themselves in.

I will say this about 10-10. They are in a rough spot...literally 100s of buffs, well wishers, the occasional nutjob, tourists from Alabama, Itally and elsewhere knocking on their door at "ALL" hours of the Day and NIGHT. Many asking the same questions and telling the same stories. It is a bit much for some of these guys. The house is full of young guys enthusiastic about the job and trying to rebuilt a house that like many others was devestated by 9-11. When especially when you have things you need to get done or duties performed. Along with runs and BI, trying to eat the meal, drill..etc. They just can't open the door to one because then it becomes an open door to everyone.

Within mere blocks of 10/10 there are a number of other firehouses E6, E4/TL15, L8, E7/TL1/Bn1. I don't speak for 10/10 but taking a photo from the outside is perfectly ok...but as for knocking on the doors...I would kindly suggest to anyone to visit another nearby house.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Back from NY

Just got back from NY. I had a great time seeing the city along with all the "Houses". My hotel (Presidental Best Western - in Midtown) was ok, but didnt spend much time there. Its located right next door to E54, L4, BC9. One block off of broadway, so its right in the middle of everything you'd need. As for the "Houses" I visited or saw:
    E54 L4 BC9 - always had its doors open and was very friendly.
    Rescue 1 - Like stated before great group of guys, if your lucky enought to catch them in quarters.
    E55 - Nice guys, friendly.
    E10/L10 - A must see house, I was able to get there just as both units were returning from a run, but after introducing myself and say hi and a few "Nice" words from an E10 guy they cought another run and I couldnt stick around tell they returned, But 9-11 Memorial on the station (being built) is a must, I was told it should be done in 2-3 weeks.
    E28/L11 - Great group of guys, really friendly and great to hangout with. Will stop by 28/11 next and every return trip.

FDNY Fire Museum - A must see, lots of old FDNY apparatus, equipment, Pictures, 9-11 Memorial, Really friendly guys (Retired and present FDNY FF's there) Had a great time

FDNY Fire Zone - Located accrossed from Radio City Music Hall, Nice place to stop by and see some old FDNY equipment and nice little shop with FDNY clothing, Patches/Stickers, FDNY Code 3's.... Great place if you have small kids to with the interactive set up they have. I did see afew other "Houses" but wasnt able to stop, but you can pretty much say not a bad house anywhere to be found, Most if not all were really friendly as long as you are nice, let them know who you are and where your from and say your just stopping by to say hi. (That way their not thinking your just some "Joe" off the street there to bug them"

I had such a good time that Im planning on going back sometime this summer to see more of the city and visit more "houses". I hope to visit afew others in Manhattan along with afew other from other boros, some of which have been listed by others on here.

Thanks for all the info and advise listed on here. If anyone on here or anyone reading this is an memebr of the FDNY please send me an email as I do hava a question. Thanks again guys

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CJPTRUCKIE

Thanks for all the info and advise listed on here. If anyone on here or anyone reading this is an memebr of the FDNY please send me an email as I do hava a question. Thanks again guys

It says your email is blocked?

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry, I fixed my email problem.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=nyckftbl]Ya gotta stop at E62/L32.....tell them you are a buff and a guy from firehouse.com sent ya....LOL

QUOTE]

HA HA....just noticed this.....chances are they won't be in anyway and are probablly at a job....
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

What boro is Tower 44 in? I took a class last year with Mike Ciampo in Charlotte. I wouldn't mind stopping by to see his house. Also ret Bat Chief Thomas Roby is in our FOOLS chapter. I wouldn't mind stopping by to see his former house- The Harlem Hilton.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Quote Originally Posted by GFDLT1
    What boro is Tower 44 in? ....
    Da Bronx....
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Thank you. Hey, 40/35 I read the book about your station house, do you all get many vistors?

MembersZone Subscriber

What boro is Tower 44 in? I took a class last year with Mike Ciampo in Charlotte. I wouldn't mind stopping by to see his house. Also ret Bat Chief Thomas Roby is in our FOOLS chapter. I wouldn't mind stopping by to see his former house- The Harlem Hilton.

Both L44 and the Hilton are located in two of NYC's most "urban" neighborhoods. Be very sure of where you are going and travel in groups...preferably during daylight hours.

Also look here for locations...I think both are acurate

http://www.nycfire.net/FDNY_Firehouses

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    Both L44 and the Hilton are located in two of NYC's most "urban" neighborhoods. Be very sure of where you are going and travel in groups...preferably during daylight hours.

Also look here for locations...I think both are acurate

http://www.nycfire.net/FDNY_Firehouses

FTM-PTB
    Speaking of both companies, they both had good first due jobs this morning, 69/28 went to a 2nd alarm.Fire out 4 or 5 windows of a mostly? vacant 7 story tenement. 92/44 had an all hands on the 4th floor I believe of a 6 story.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl
    Speaking of both companies, they both had good first due jobs this morning, 69/28 went to a 2nd alarm.Fire out 4 or 5 windows of a mostly? vacant 7 story tenement. 92/44 had an all hands on the 4th floor I believe of a 6 story.
    Heard a nasty little rummor about our wonderful rearmounts and how one of them wouldn't work at said job.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    Heard a nasty little rummor about our wonderful rearmounts and how one of them wouldn't work at said job.

FTM-PTB
    All I can tell you is that said aerial did not have the front of the fire building when I got there (2nd alarm), but one aerial had the 2 side and TL 23 had the front of the building. The other aerial was about 1/2 block away, with the compartment on the turntable open, as if they tried to use it, but couldnt, and moved out of the way. Im going to assume that was the case, because I doubt they were leaving room for TLs, because the adjoining buildings were the same height and could have been laddered.
    I know the roofmen from the 1st and 2nd due trucks took 30's stick to the roof, but I havent heard anything past that yet. (30s roof man was detailed from my house)

Forum Member

Thank you brothers

KTF-EGH

Forum Member

Smile question from UK

Hi, i recently visited US for 1st time, staying in Time Square NY, which was amazing! (a million miles away from rural UK countryside). Whilst there i got talking to an irish fire fighter and was trying to work out where he was based, his shirt read - FDNY 44, what does that mean? sorry its proably such a basic question! in uk we have very few fire stations so i really don't understand ladder and engine numbers, i would be grateful for any help ....

Forum Member

He could be from Engine Company 44 in Manhattan, but the shirt I think you are speaking of is the one with a big "44" on the back, If I recall...its a memorial shirt for Ff Donald Franklin, LODD in early 2001? If so...that would be Tower Ladder Company 44 who is in with Engine Company 92 in the Bronx.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

thanks for the info, gosh it's all so complex with you, if i recall correctly on the front had the fire badge then 44 underneath it, does this help narrow it down?
    i'm not sure if i'll ever find out who it was which is a shame as it would have been nice to stay in touch....

Forum Member

[QUOTE=VinnieB]He could be from Engine Company 44 in Manhattan, but the shirt I think you are speaking of is the one with a big "44" on the back, If I recall...its a memorial shirt for Ff Donald Franklin, LODD in early 2001? QUOTE]

January 13th!!

Forum Member

I took a class last year with Mike Ciampo in Charlotte. I.
    Are speaking about Lt. Mike Ciampo????

Thread Information