+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Denver firefighter in critical condition

Denver Firefighter Injured In House Fire
    Few Details Available

POSTED: 11:39 am MDT May 9, 2006
    UPDATED: 12:28 pm MDT May 9, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

DENVER -- A Denver firefighter was injured late Tuesday morning battling a basement fire at 501 South High Street.

The firefighter had to be resuscitated the scene and was then transported to Denver Health Medical Center.

"He is in serious condition, but is stable," said Fire Chief Larry Trujillo of the Denver Fire Department.

Trujillo said he "had no idea" what injured the firefighter but that firefighters encountered heavy smoke and fire when they arrived at the one-story home. A few minutes after attacking the fire the firefighter was found face-down on the first floor of the home.

The firefighter's wife was rushed to Denver Health Medical Center to be with her husband.

"This was one of the hotter and smokier fires that we've battled," said Trujillo.

The blaze was quickly brought under control.

Two people who were in the home at the time of the fire were rescued by a Good Samaritan who was driving by and saw smoke billowing from the residence.

MembersZone Subscriber

God bless him, he will be in my prayers tonight.

MembersZone Subscriber

Denver Firefighter Collapses; Investigators Look At Regulator
    Firefighter Found Face Down In Home

POSTED: 11:39 am MDT May 9, 2006
    UPDATED: 4:44 pm MDT May 9, 2006
    Email This Story | Print This Story
    DENVER -- A strong, physically fit, Denver firefighter collapsed late Tuesday morning battling a basement fire at 501 South High Street and investigators say that the regulator attached to his oxygen mask may be to blame.

Billy Green, 35, had to be resuscitated at the scene and was then transported to Denver Health Medical Center.

"He is in critical condition, but is stable," said Fire Chief Larry Trujillo of the Denver Fire Department. Trujillo said that he and the doctors are optimistic but that Green still has not regained consciousness.

Trujillo said he doesn't know exactly why Green collapsed but that there may have been problems with his mask.
    Click here to find out more!

"The regulator was not in place like it should have been and we're not sure if that might have attributed to this," Trujillo said.

Trujillo said that firefighters encountered abnormally heavy smoke when they arrived to the one-story home.

"This was one of the hotter and smokier fires that we've battled," said Trujillo.

Green was part of the first crew that went into the home to look for the fire. He handed the nozzle to the officer who was with him and when that officer went down the stairs and turned around, he didn't see Green.

When a second crew performing backup ventilation went into the home, a firefighter tripped over Green. He was face-down on the first floor of the home, several steps behind his partner, in the kitchen. It's not known exactly how long Green was unconscious.

Green's wife was rushed to Denver Health Medical Center to be with her husband.

Green has been with the department for 10 years and works with Engine 21.

Trujillo said that the injured firefighter was healthy and in good shape.

"He's in great physical condition .... He's just one of those hard workers who just comes to work everyday and gives 110 percent physically and mentally, so that's definitely not a part of the equation. The guy is a perfect specimen. He runs stairs, exercises daily, just in perfect condition, great all-around firefighter for us," Trujillo said.

The blaze was quickly brought under control.

Two people who were in the home at the time of the fire were rescued by a Good Samaritan who was driving by and saw smoke billowing from the residence.

"A basement fire is the worst type of fire because there's no way to ventilate it," Trujillo said.

Good luck brother. You will be in my prayers.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Praying for ya Brother Green.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not a good day in Colorado. Not yet known if the fatalities were in the ambulance, but after seeing a picture of it, I would be really surprised if the driver were not killed. Major intrusion into the cab.

Two People Die In Ambulance Crash

(AP) STERLING, Colo. A crash involving an ambulance and a semitrailer on Interstate 76 near here killed two people Tuesday, according to the Colorado State Patrol.

Trooper Eric Wynn said the crash occurred before 4 p.m. 10 to 15 miles west of Sterling in the westbound lanes. Wynn did not have other details, including which vehicle the victims were riding in or where the ambulance was going.

I hope the fellow ff comes out of this ok!!! Best of luck to him and his family and the fd family.

MembersZone Subscriber

In my prayers

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Best wishes to a full and speedy recovery.

Forum Member

Prayers and support are with our fellow brother in his time of need...

any ideas on the SCBA he was using?
    -Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nsfd321
    Prayers and support are with our fellow brother in his time of need...

any ideas on the SCBA he was using?
    Denver uses Scott. I'm not sure what model. I think the older 45's unless they've recently upgraded.

Denver Firefighter Billy Green and the entire Denver Fire Department you are in the thoughts and prayers of thousands of firefighters throughout the world. Stay strong and I pray for a speedy recovery.

MembersZone Subscriber

Denver Firefighter Is Improving
    Save It E-mail It Print It
    (CBS4) DENVER A firefighter who collapsed inside a burning house improved overnight and has regained consciousness, authorities said Wednesday.

Billy Green, 35, was alert and chatting with his family at Denver Health hospital one day after the incident, fire department spokesman Phil Champagne said.

Champagne said investigators were still trying to determine why Green lost consciousness. He said possible causes included a malfunction in Green's oxygen apparatus, exertion or adrenaline, but nothing had been ruled out.

Other firefighters pulled Green from the house.

He had been listed in critical condition when he was hospitalized. Denver Health officials did not immediately return calls Wednesday, but Champagne said Green was expected to be upgraded to fair condition.

He said firefighters were "ecstatic" over Green's recovery.

"The outcome could have been devastating," he said.

MembersZone Subscriber

heres another updated news article on FF Green:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...2/detail.html#

On a personal note, I am not currenty a Career Firefighter but am currently testing and trying to become one...and i must say, seeing the support for FF Green shown by other FFs on this board, from different corners of the country, truly solidifies my desire to become a part of this brotherhood! Stay safe out there everyone, best wishes for a speedy recovery FF Green

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

ATTABOY. get well brother.

Thread Information