Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    Makes sense, I was just curious since we have people around us in the flatlands having drivetrain issues.

I agree completely with the top end speeds, we have ours geared at 68 unloaded since we do have several high speed roadways and need to avoid getting rammed from behind while responding. But I don't worry about the top end speed per se, doing 65 on an open highway worries me less than doing 45 in a 25 zone and they all do that. Stupid people can make stupid decisions and get in trouble at any speed.

And I agree on the cost issue too, it was $45K to go from the 12L 400HP DDC to the 14L 475HP in the heavy rescue we got in 2003. But we didn't want to face the issues we were having with the other two pumpers already. Good luck with the new buggy.
    Yes, the big picture plan is to have a truck payment of $43,000 so adding 45K to the price adds another year before we can get another truck.

The original plan was to get rid of the reserve '76 two door engine and keep the '86 as the reserve. But with all the changes that have come about, we really should get rid of both and change plans.

But, it is still better than what other towns in VT have to deal with....

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

We got the 370 engine also. But we run about 40 calls a year and won't put 30K on it in it's life time.

We saw the 370 as a major bump over the 330 being offered by almost everyone else.

We will only have one rig not black over red when this arrives. We like the combination and we are the only ones in our couinty with it.

We are psyched about this truck and it is supposed to be delivered next week.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Black over Red paint scheme

I've asked 13 different people how the black over red paint scheme came about and got 13 different answers. Care to make it 14?

Forum Member

Black over red? Hell we just like the way it looks!!

FyredUp

Forum Member

we dont use the color but i think it is the best looking combo...we have about 2 thirds red and then 1 third white...not as bad as all white i guess...but black over red or just red is he best imo

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp
    We got the 370 engine also. But we run about 40 calls a year and won't put 30K on it in it's life time.

We saw the 370 as a major bump over the 330 being offered by almost everyone else.

We will only have one rig not black over red when this arrives. We like the combination and we are the only ones in our couinty with it.

We are psyched about this truck and it is supposed to be delivered next week.

FyredUp
    The cost vs. gain was a no brainer for the 370 vs. 330 in our case. The torque jumps too. Same as changing from the Q-flo to Q-max. Once the initial up charge was done it was no difference in price for a larger pump. (1250 to 2000gpm)

I talked to our dealer earlier and he will be getting the final paperwork for line by line sign-off headed my way tonight. I want to get this thing going.... Looks like we will even be more than $8.88 below the approved spending limit. 1998 we were approved for $199,900 spent $199,891.12 this time $285,000 limit and it looks like it will be around $280,XXX.00

Couple more options and the big motor.......... but that is just not in the cards.

Forum Member

Good luck guys with your new Hme pumpers , also seems like a very fair price tag for a fully loaded rig , to bad there are not any Hme dealers in the New Jersey area!...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII
    Good luck guys with your new Hme pumpers , also seems like a very fair price tag for a fully loaded rig , to bad there are not any Hme dealers in the New Jersey area!...
    I am looking forward to it. We did look at E-one and Pierce. I liked options that they all had. But it seems that the HME offered a cross between a program truck and 100% custom one of a kind for a price we could afford. It appears that HME engineers the options for their various bodies etc and then you can pick the part number for a price. Their list has much more to choose from than an E-one Tradition and probably similar or more to the Pierce Contender. Pierce did not bid, I am not sure what their reason was but it could have been the 285,000 max we had.

I still believe that the true measure is the dealer support you will get, cost and that you are not dealing with a company that is ready to fold up shop. That is why we talked to the dealers we did. We know them, have done business with two of the three and will continue to do business with them after this purchase. We used their collective experience to come up with the end results.

They all make good rigs, they all make lemons once in a while, some are better than others. Think back in history, Pirsch, Maxium, Old ALF, Ward Lafrance, Hahn... Would you have thought they would close their doors when they were booming?????
    Last edited by ChiefDog; 05-18-2006 at 09:07 AM.

Forum Member

We als talked to Pierce, Seagrave, Custom Fire, Darley, Toyne, and Elite Power Products. In my opinion they all on any given day can build a fine piece of fire apparatus.

It boiled down to valu for the dollar. HME gave us far more rescue engine for the dollar than the others.

6 man custom cab
    370 hp Cummins (all the rest were offering the 330)
    2000 gpm pump with no upcharge (others wanted to charge for this even though it is the same pump)
    1020 gallons of water
    Class A foam system to 6 discharges
    rescue style compartments that are, well huge
    overhead ladder rack
    20 inch deep hose bed to carry 1400 feet of 5 inch and 1000 feet of 3 inch
    10 kW hydraulic generator
    2 cord reels
    2 Hurst tool reels
    4 telescopic 1500 watt lights
    1 1500 watt eyebrow lights
    all warning and turn signals are LED
    heat and A/C to the rear of the cab
    front bumper crosslys for 2-200 foot preconnects
    mid mount crosslays for 2-300 foot preconnects
    2 rear discharges
    rear suction
    and the option that we paid for ourselves...an am/fm/cd 4 speaker stereo!!

No one else came close for the money we had. They all build good rogs but when it boils down to cash at hand you have to go where you get the biggest bang for the buck.

FyredUp

Forum Member

Sounds kick-a@@. How much did it end up being?

I thought about the brow light but we have lived without one on the other trucks and $$$.

Very similar to what we are talking... I was suprised on the Q2B in the grill from the picture.

Forum Member

ChiefDog..

It is an eQ2B..electronic. The real Q wouldn't fit because of our front bumper hose beds.

$255K and change

Fyredup

Forum Member

That makes sense now. We are over 280k now.

Looking forward to seeing your finished truck pictures.....

Forum Member

Great unit so far 215k .....
    2003 HME 1871 P2 6man
    450 HP Cummins M11
    Allison 4000 transmission
    1750 Hale Qmax
    900 Gallon tank
    Ladders through Tank
    1000' 5"
    Front bumper 1 1/2" jumpline
    Q2B

http://ImageEvent.com/k1500chevy97/firepics2
    Last edited by k1500chevy97; 05-18-2006 at 11:11 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nice looking rig. Good luck with her and hope she is everything you are expecting.

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face

I truly hope the HME's work out for you. As for us:
    1999 HME SFO/Cental States
    1250 pump
    750 wt
    100 Bfoam
    40 A foam
    1500 ft' 4"

Serious rust on Body (not HME issue)
    rust on chassis frame
    cab wiring issues that have taken the truck from service 2-3 time a year
    screws fall out of door panels (must be tightened weekly)
    Expected life no more than 14 years.

It works, but we've defineately decided to go in another direction for all other apparatus.

Forum Member

RFDACM...

My career FD has HME/3-D pumpers and HME/3-D Aerial Innovations ladder and quint. They have a ton more miles than my volly FD will ever put on this pumper and frankly the majority of the problems with them have been with the fire apparatus builder part and not the HME chassis. The two ladders are low profile to fit in older stations and I would suppose the rough ride on those is HME's fault.

Someone mentioned previously here about 30,000 miles on a rig already...I would bet in the last 10 years all of our rigs together don't total that. We are a small village, 1 1/2 miles long by roughly 1 mile wide. Runs totals hover around 40 a year. The roads are decent so it isn't like inner city pot hole pounding.

Also, my experience with HME is like yours, someone else built the fire apparatus part not HME Ahrens Fox. Ours is completely being built by HME AHrens Fox so there is no interfacing the chasis and body with an outside manufacturer. Will it make a difference? I certainly hope so.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

I have seen some improvements from HME locally. The dept. next to us has two 2002 HME/Central States, one 75' quint and a pumper. The cab and chassis looks much better than our 1999. No door screw issues and better fit and finish. Ours looks like a cement truck cab inside. I don't believe they've had any real significant issues with the chassis yet. The Central States parts are another issue. Probably an all HME will be much better than these hybrids. Its not unheard of for a company to improve its products, just rare. I hope the HME's work out for you. I just have seen and heard of many late 90's ones with rust issues and wiring issues. We installed a back-up camera in our HME last shift and the in-cab wiring is a nightmare! Certainly less than top notch connectors and the like, but again some of that may have been Central States tie ins. As for runs, this engine sees maybe 500-600 runs a year with EMS back-up calls. But we've had larger issues with backline peices that don't run nearly as many calls. Sometimes less runs is not better, especially for the springs.

Forum Member

We did the final inspection and the truck is supposed to be delivered this week.

Here are a few teaser pics for you guys!!

http://img433.imageshack.us/img433/7718/mvc021s5hf.jpg
    http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/2051/mvc018s5ke.jpg
    http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2142/mvc016s9xj.jpg

We think it looks amazing....better than we could have dreamed.

FyredUp

Forum Member

Thumbs up Looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp
    We did the final inspection and the truck is supposed to be delivered this week.

Here are a few teaser pics for you guys!!

http://img433.imageshack.us/img433/7718/mvc021s5hf.jpg
    http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/2051/mvc018s5ke.jpg
    http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2142/mvc016s9xj.jpg

We think it looks amazing....better than we could have dreamed.

FyredUp
    Looks nice I can only hope that the plans that are at the factory for ours will turn out as well as yours appears to have.....

The package is there and the engineering department is going over it so that they HME will sign-off on the contract and it will get built!!!

Forum Member

Good luck ChiefDog...

Overall it was a good experience. A few glitches here and there but they were all corrected. Our sales guy was good to us and Ken Lenz was very nice to us when we were at the plant.

If there are any questions that I can answer please feel free to either PM me or e-mail me.

FyredUp

Thread Information