MembersZone Subscriber

Question On Board Camera Systems

Is anyone using the on-board camera systems for anything other than back-up cams? While preaparing to purchase back-up cam systems for our apparatus I found that many color camera systems are much cheaper than I realized.
    My thought is to install on the frontline apparatus a system that does the reverse cam, records (if switched on) the response and tehn has a camera that can be positioned to record the scene.

Any thoughts, experience, or other would be appreciated.

Forum Member

I was looking into same thing and I hear the Rosenbauer Tech Drive Rescue has 360 degree Scene recording. It might be worth looking to find who built the system for them.

Let's talk fire trucks!

I've had the opportunity to drive a couple of Quantums with cameras mounted under the mirrors, which were wired into the LCD screen to the right of the driver. I found that it eliminated blind spots, and allowed for more confident driving in tight city streets.

I have seen cameras mounted in many different areas. One rig had a camera mounted over the officer's side pump panel with a screen on the driver's side pump panel that allowed the pump operator to see what was happening on the other side of the apparatus.

I've also seen them mounted over the side and rear dump chutes on tankers, allowing the driver to more easily spot the portable ponds on tanker shuttle operations.

Your imagination is the limit!

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a camera on on our rescue truck. We use it to record the scene, and the images are save bace to the lap top located on the command desk in the back. The only thing I find is that you have to remember to position the truck correctly or remember to adjust the camera before you get out of the truck. You can turn the camera on manually or set it to auto so when the emergency lights are turned on it will start recording.

Mike

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I've seen a few people put cameras on light towers also. After all common sense would say that the light tower is pointing at what you want to see...

With the advances in technology and the drop in price the possibilities are endless. The question is, how much technology can we cram in and still have the driver being safe and watching the road instead of the monitor screens? Especially if we're aiming to minimize blind spots. I can see having the one under the officer's side mirror set to be on while driving since most of the time the screen is inline with the mirror so it's not a different eye or head movement to see it. But the backup doesn't really need to be on when driving in most cases, most things can be seen from the side mirrors it doesn't matter too much who we've already passed.

Recording from the different cameras around the truck would be cool. I'm sure it wouldn't be much to setup a recording system like they have with security cameras and the split screens so you wouldn't have to miss anything from any of the angles, it could grab all of them at once.

- Brian

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the replies. We had another backing accident yesterday with our ladder. The truck was going for fuel and was second in line at a light. A tractor trailer came into the intersection wide and the front car started backing up. Our driver also started backing up after seeing the car in his mirror do so. The problem was the car betweenthe one he saw and the truck! So much for 200 ft! As this has been a re-occuring issue with the size of apparatus and the direct behind blind spot, we usually require a spotter when backing up. The opertor was alone going for fuel. Answer: back-up cameras! The initial prices: $135 ea. for the whole system. It seems cheap as hell! But at that price we can back into things with them! They're B/W with a small screen and IR lighting? The full scene camera is something for our new rescue/pumper.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have Color Cameras on our Turrets of our Crash trucks. They have an Electric zoom. We interface this with a FLIR Ball and they all are viewed from a 10" flat screen in the cab. Recorded on a VCR

MembersZone Subscriber

As for the response camera mentioned above, NYC got some free ones to demo with talk of equipping all vehicles, the troops were in a panic, the devices recorded audio and (i believe) video in the cab in addition to the dash cam video. After all of the uproar and paranoia the cameras were scrapped because they simply did not work, the system was supposed to record only events such as sudden braking or turning such as would occur before a collision, a concept that may work on a test track but did not work on real streets in fire apparatus.

Thread Information