Forum Member

Default C8000 Ford problem

We've got one of the good 'ol ugly C8000 series Fords, a 1984 Model that is having an issue with the passengers door latch. When you press the button occasionally the pushing pin inside the latch will slide off the plate that it presses against. This can be reset by pulling 4 screws off the inside of the door and sticking your arm up inside the door and resetting. This is getting to be rather annoying. Here's where your help comes in. I know that as many of these C8000s that Ford produced, especially in the fire service, somebody somewhere else is having/had the same trouble. If you've had this issue what did you do to fix it for good?
    Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

Forum Member

Default Try this...

Seriously - go to a junk yard and get into a C-8000 from a Roadway or other trucking company cab. The chances of the passenger side door latch being virtually unused is very high. Make a deal and take the parts home. Over the raod truck companies like Roadway used thousands of these cabs. Usually with only the driver in the cab,

Forum Member

The latch is fine, the problem is parts won't stay in alignment.

Forum Member

had that problem on a 8000. the rod kept popping off on the drivers side this happened about twice a week.

simple fix .... JB Weld

Forum Member

I'm at the house so I don't have the exploded diagrams in front of me but as I remember it the leading cause of this is the guide plate is worn or broken.You need to look carefully where the rod runs thru the support.In most cases,replacing the handle/guide assembly will make your problem go away.We got rid of the last of our C series about 6 years ago so my recollection of cures is beginning to fade. T.C.

Forum Member

we ran two of those things and door latches was probably the only problem we didn't have with them. One had an electricial issue and caught fire. Thank goodness a firefighting crew was on the scene ASAP! like on the truck ! They were both taken out of service, after only 11 yrs and I mean completely out of service. Given to Mexico.

Tanks leaked from day one.
    FMC bodies.

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default What???

You dont like the old ford cab-overs???? My dept. still has 4 in service. I like the old trucks. The new trucks coming out now days, are over rated. One is a 1985 E-One 1250/750 and the other is a 1989 E-One 1250/500. The other 2 are old ALF's, that we use as backup's. These trucks look new. We were going to replace them but, did not see any reason to. They get used every day. As for whats wronge withyour truck, L3Truckee said it right. There is one or two of these truck's at every junkyard...

Forum Member

It's a good truck, I just think the 3 man cab is ugly, the 5+ cab looks good.

Ours is an 84 model with a Grumman FireCat fire body.

Dispatch Dweller
    On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

We have a 1984 C8000 as our tanker. Never had a problem with the door latches (except the time I was gearing up in the officer's seat and accidentally pulled the door handle when pulling up my suspenders... good thing I was belted in!

The only real problem we have is the Cat 3208 engine and how tired the truck is overall. The best repair for this is going to be to undo all the bolts holding the tank on the chassis, drive it out from under it, and back a new chassis in.
    --jay.

Forum Member

Is the Ford C8000 the one that Pierce uses the windshield for some of their custom chassis applications.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Thrilbilly61
    Is the Ford C8000 the one that Pierce uses the windshield for some of their custom chassis applications.

I think it is the L9000 windshield.......but I could be wrong.

Dispatch Dweller
    On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

This is a Ford C8000.

--jay.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ctxffman
    we ran two of those things and door latches was probably the only problem we didn't have with them. One had an electricial issue and caught fire. Thank goodness a firefighting crew was on the scene ASAP! like on the truck ! They were both taken out of service, after only 11 yrs and I mean completely out of service. Given to Mexico.

Tanks leaked from day one.
    FMC bodies.
    We also had one of these Ford cabovers with an FMC body that caught fire in front of the fire station while responding to a fire.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

We have the exact opposite problem: the driver's door inside handle won't work. I'm sure it's an easy fix but it's at one of the other stations and no one has tried to fix it. One has to reach out the window to open the door, which really isn't an issue because the truck doesn't have A/C so it's always open anyway. TX only has 4 seasons. December, January, Frebruary, and Summer.

Forum Member

Kinda the opposite of what Mainers have told me and I noticed on many trips there at all times of the year: Summer begins on a Tuesday in August and ends on Friday. Or Pennsylvania, where I live, where we only have two seasons: Winter and Construction.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I grew up in PA relo'd here in 2000, I know what you mean. At least up there you won't end up with 22 lane roads like I-10 is being made into. When it's done we'll have more pictures of major pileups to post. All it means is that we'll have 11 lanes blocked by wrecks instead of just 3. Details.

Thread Information