Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Question Drivers required to don bunker pants

Seems like a simple question to ask but:

What are the thoughts on requiring drivers to wear bunker pants and boots while driving apparatus to calls.

Forum Member

They have the option here.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

We don't require it. Some do, some don't. As long as they have them ready to put on at the scene when needed, we're happy. Myself, most times, I have them on when I drive.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

On the flatest land around! (In central Il.)

Quote Originally Posted by PFDTruck18
    They have the option here.
    Ditto.... I myself don't until I get on scene.

Forum Member

Same with my old volunteer dept.The regular driver out of Station 1 would wear his,even though he hadn't been inside in years.He was used to driving that way and like the line from "The Fighting Seabees"went when questioned about making an experienced sawyer change his habits"Now,Ma'am,you would not want him to work in an unnatural condition,would ye?".
    He was used to it and though he insisted on those of us taking his EVOC practice NOT wearing them,afterwards,he'd let us decide with his advice on how long they should wait to gain experience driving the rig with them on.

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Our drivers dont wear pants...of any kind.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

It's up to the individual here whether they are driving a pumper or truck. For me, I usually wear my full turnouts (coat,pants, and boots) on just about every call.
    Bill Geyer
    Engine 27
    Memphis F.D.

MembersZone Subscriber

My SOPs allow our operators to decide for themselves, but upon arrival on scene they should don at least bunker pants and gloves while pumping the truck. In my mind it's a safety thing - I want our drivers to feel comfortable driving our apparatus and if they don't feel as comfortable in their bunker pants as they do in regular pants, then they don't have to drive while wearing their bunker pants.

Forum Member

Current department they have a choice. Generally I will if it's a fire or a MVA. For a routine medical or one of our very rare alarm trips, I won't.

Last department I was on in Vermont drivers were required to have bunker pants on. Coat was an option.

Forum Member

For us it is a choice. During the day I don't wear them, just my work pants. At night time (after supper) I put my bunker pants on because I am surely shorts by that time. It doesn't affect my driving at all because I wear Warrington Pro duty boots and firefighting boots. To me they feel and fit the same.

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Quote Originally Posted by SamsonFCDES
    Our drivers dont wear pants...of any kind.
    We had a driver once who didn't wear a shirt underneath his turnout coat. The guy had MOOBS (man boobs) that would put any woman to shame! Needless to say, he was instructed to never do that again for safety reasons (his health and our eyesight)
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey
    We had a driver once who didn't wear a shirt underneath his turnout coat. The guy had MOOBS (man boobs) that would put any woman to shame! Needless to say, he was instructed to never do that again for safety reasons (his health and our eyesight)
    Uhhh....how terrible. We have a guy on the POC I just joined that wears a jumpsuit with nothing on underneath...I have yet to see it, but I really, really don't want to. Think wet T-shirt contest. (where's the vomit emoticon?)
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

This has come up before here in the forums. I will say now what I said then.

Keep in mind that I have size 13W canoes at the ends of my legs.

I, for safety reasons, refuse to wear bunkers while driving. I had to get the union involved at my former career dept involved, one of our engines was a late Grumman (same cab as current HME's) and my foot physically could NOT press down on the accelerator without coming down partially on the brake, and vice-versa. That alone made the Fire Chief change the SOP.

For reasons of safety (limited motion, slowed motion times) I am vehemontly against bunkers while driving.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Here it is optional. Pants and boots are fine in the new trucks (automatics, lots of room and no clutch to fight with), but jackets are discouraged to allow range of motion.

In the older trucks, I used to hate driving with my bunker boots on. My size 12's always made fighting with the clutch difficult, and I did catch the gas while braking once. That'll wake you up.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Optinal here, I don't were them during the day unless I'm on the Rescue. The rest of the crew already has a hugh jump 'cause there packed out. At night I wear scrubs bottoms because the pole chaffes in shorts and bunkers aren't allowed in the crew quaters. The only other time I were them driving is MVA's.

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    For reasons of safety (limited motion, slowed motion times) I am vehemontly against bunkers while driving.
    I tend to agree with that as well. Although obviously it was much worse back in the day of heavy and inflexible Nomex bunkers with clunky rubber boots. It's not as bad with the lightweight and flexible PBI of today, and most leather boots feel like regular boots anyway. Still and all, there is definitely still some restriction of movement, and maybe even some fatigue factor. Fractions of a second count when that car pulls out in front of you and you have to get off the gas and on the brakes. I'm generally against the idea of the driver wearing them.

MembersZone Subscriber Fletch 8903's Avatar

It's up to the driver at our depatment as well. I would say that during the daytime hours, almost nobody puts on the bunkers. At night you are more apt to see the drivers in their bunkers.

I feel comfortable either way in regards to the pants, but I don't usually drive with the coat on. It's too bulky, and the flashlight and gloves hanging on the front tend to interfere with steering.

Up here, it depends on the truck. Our 2005 Spartan has tons of room so I haven't seen it driven to a call yet without pants and boots.
    Our old beast in Station 2 that I usually drive is a 1978 International. They were designed for people no taller than 5'6" and I'm 6'2" so I'll drive in street wear since I need to find every inch I can to work the peddles without my knees coming up through the wheel.
    All of my gear gets tossed in the compartment behind the driver's door and I don it at the scene. Makes me stop upon arrival for the time it takes to get suited up, amazing the extra things you notice when looking around for 30 seconds while donning the gear.
    Cheers

Here, drivers are not permitted to drive with bunker pants, but must have them at the ready once on scene, per SOP.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Engine chauffers don't.

Ladder and Rescue chauffers do
    Chief officers don't.

Thread Information