Forum Member

Cool Firefighting your way through college!

Does anybody know any cities on the east coast that have firehouse live-in programs for college students? They seem like a good idea and would be right up my ally.

MembersZone Subscriber

Shepherdstown VFD, Shepherdstown, WV. Next to Shepherd University and Shepherd CTC. www.shepherdstownfiredepartment.com
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

MembersZone Subscriber

Though the "east coast" is a rather large area. Perhaps you should refine your search of departments a little.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

Forum Member

plugging ears and ducking for cover.......................
    Stupid People.......Providing Job Security to Public Safety Professionals for ........forever

MembersZone Subscriber

Default college

University of Maryland, College Park MD - about 10 miles outside DC
    if a student and attending (do not have to be studying anything related to fire - you can live in FH - pay them a visit; we did in Nov. - they allowed us to ride along as i am FF and he is an Exlporer - Prince Geroge's county is very busy!!!!!!!! if memory is correct - PG county is paid staff during day - and mostly volly all other times

need to be ceritified FF & EMT by start of school and then get Maryland to accept cert.s -

school is not cheap - about $23k without room and board - room is free at FH but you kick in for food

there is another CC up in New Hampshire = Lanconia Technical ???? same type - not as big and only 2 year degrees

Forum Member

Down here in Branson at the College of the Ozarks is a Fire department You have a job at the college and it pays for everything. And a job can be working at on campus fire department. They run only about 500 calls a year I believe.

http://www.cofo.edu/workprog.asp?page=4

Forum Member

Back when I was an administrator at Rutgers, I think the campus had a similar deal as the one described above at Maryland.

Forum Member

I think Dartmouth has some sort of a deal with Hanover, NH or they use to.

St.Mikes in Colchester, Vt (Burlington) has their own EMS/FD affiliated with the local Fire Company. Not sure on the live in vs. dorm thing. They have a website I think.

I know the NH Tech has deals for Fire Science students, I know a couple who did their program.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Sure.............

As everyone expects me to, I'm here to tell you that Maryland is the best. Go to www.PGCVFRA.org and you can get access to all the VFD websites in Prince Georges County. Livin Members are very common in the Mid Atlantic States. My station is about 8 miles East of UMD at College Park. ( We're at www.gdvfd18.com )
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default yes

yes there are some in new york as well I will be in a bunk in program at taunton fire department next year and going to onondaga community collge you could call the fire protection department at the collge they have a full list or you can email me wf12gauge@hotmail.com Good luck it takes a bit of work to find them but they deffanly seem like really good programs

Forum Member

More Info on St. Micheal's Fire Department

Located in Colchester Vt. They run with Colchester Center Volunteer Fire Company and actually are first due in the busiest area of the CCVFC response area (college, hotels, commercial properties, hospital and 1st due automatic mutual aid to Winooski). They run an engine and a hose truck. About 600 calls a year. College also runs 2 ambulances serving as primary for several communties and secondary for several more. They also run the only neo-natial transport unit in the northern part of the state.

You have to pay for room and board, but you can either live in the dorms or the brand new firehouse with senority. You cannot participate your first semester - I beleive that's the rules with most extracirrucular activties. Offiers are students except for Chief (Deputy Chief in the CCVFC heirarchy) and Asst Chief (Battinlion Chief w/ CCVFC).

Any other questions feel free to e-mail me at the addy on my profile. By the way ..I ran with the CCVFC from 88-02 so I can provide you with a lot of details.

Forum Member

thanks for all of the info everyone

Thread Information