MembersZone Subscriber

Default Polaris Ranger or John Deere Gator

Has anyone decked out one of these for a wildland fire fighting unit? If so do you have any pictures you would like to share? We are looking at the Polaris 6X6 but are open to suggestions. Email pics to Clfire401@aol.com.

Forum Member

My department is looking at doing the same thing, we are looking at putting a removable skid with (75gallons of water, hose, small portable pump, and possibly foam), and then working some ideas to make it capable of carrying a back board for rescue situations. We had a rep come to us just yesterday from Club Car (maker of Golf Carts) and the brought us there XRT 1500 (3 cyclander Kubota Diesel engine). Our memebers (some are farmers and have used items like the Kawasaki Mule, John Deere Gator, and Polaris Ranger) And we test drove the XRT1500 and found it definatly was impressive.

HOPEFULLY THIS LINK WELL WORK, ITS TO CLUB CAR'S XRT15OO's PAGE
    CHECK IT OUT

http://www.clubcar.com/products_land...y=Recreational

Forum Member

for Gods sakes man try a SEARCH !!!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

We have a Polaris 6x6, nothing wrong with it I suppose.

Speaking from actual experiance though, the most powerful, rugged and off road capable unit out there is the diesel powered Kubota RTV.

Lammrover
    "Plan for the worst, hope for the best"

FF/EMT: Nimishillen Township FD
    EMT: AMR
    Fire/EMS/Police Dispatcher: CenCom
    Student: Stark State C.O.T.

Forum Member

we got a Ranger donated to us....haven't used it too much in the FD but it is definatly the cats azz of utility vehicles as I personally own one too...the best ride, most speed, and a true 6x6...gators aren't the same league...kubota? never driven one..diesel sounds good though......do a search on "ranger" we talked about them quite a bit.....i believe their is also some sort of ranger grant program every year when about 25 rangers are placed with agencies....might want to look into that too

Forum Member

Operation Ranger is put on by US Smokeless Tobacco. Each year they donate 20 Polaris Rangers to Emergency Services throughout United States. This year is over, but keep checkin the website for the start of the 2007 Operation Ranger program.

This is the link to the Operation Ranger Page
    http://www.ussmokeless.com/operation_ranger.cfm

This is the link to US Smokless Tobacco (Operation Ranger is under Corporate Giving)
    http://www.ussmokelesstobacco.com/index.cfm

Our neighboring Fire Department applied to Operation Ranger last year (2005) and they were one of the lucky departments to recieve a Polaris Ranger. They went out and purchased the trailer, a hard top for the unit. They use it for Wild Land fire calls, they use it to pull there Rescue Sled (all season). It actually doesnt look that bad and according to them it works pretty well.

Just remember DO YOUR RESEARCH!

MembersZone Subscriber

I used to work at a Honda motorcycle shop and I must say that I don't respect Polaris anything. The ones we got in for repair were substandard. Here is the deal: find what you like, no matter what the manufacturer, but first make sure you have a GOOD local dealer service department that will stand behind the factory warranty. Not all dealer service departments are created equal...there are good techs and bad, check local websites for dealer service department reviews. Good luck.

Forum Member

Default Ranger

Our department received a Ranger from the tobacco donation. We are currently using it for searches and race track use to carry patients from the track. Its much more versatile than taking a big ambulance out on the track to pick someone up.

Forum Member

Forum Member

we currently have a total of 3 gators at our department....they have 50 gallon tanks on them and we use a pressure washer type gas pump set up and let me tell ya...you can put a ton of fire out with it.....the one we have at our station we have had for 10 years, it will go anywhere you want it to we even mow over trees up to about 6 inches in diameter.....ok ok well we did build a special bumper for that part LOL

anyhow no matter what you get if it be a gator or what ever your preference is it is money well spent.....we run ALot of grass and brush fires so ours get quite a work out.....we ever provide quite a bit of mutual aid to other departments with them.

I could get you some pictures if you wanted just let me know or private message me.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you ask me both of them are complete junk, about the only thing they are useful for is hauling equipment around at f.d. functions. Give me an old willy's jeep over anything!

Forum Member

Here's my size up on the utility vehicle situation...

I started with looking at the Gator™ HPX 4x4 Diesel (2006). It has an 854cc engine that will put out 33 ft-lb of torque at 3500 RPM. It has on demand 4WD and an auto-locking front axle. The altenator will put out 40 amps, which should be enough to power an inverter. It's a very stable vehicle and has a low center of gravity.

Next was the Kawasaki Mule™ 3010 Trans4x4™ Diesel. It has a 935cc engine that will put out 38.5 ft-lb of torque at 2,800 RPM. The major benefit I saw with this vehicle is that it's availible in a 4-seater. However, with the 4-seat model, I'm not sure there would be enough room for a pump and tank in the box. Another thing I don't like about this one is that it only has 7 inches of ground clearance. But, it should out-haul most other utility vehicles.

I then started looking at the Polaris Ranger XP. It has a 683cc engine that puts out 40 HP. It has load capacity the is very similar to the Kawasaki Mule I talked about, which is that it will hold a half ton in the box and it has a payload capacity of 3/4 of a ton. Add to that the 1750 lb towing capacity and you'll have yourself a pretty heavy duty utility vehicle. The ground clearance on these is 11 inches, but I have no idea what the suspension travel is. Personally, I would stay away from the 6x6, I can't see how those things would manuever well in off-road conditions.

The final one I looked at was one that I bet a lot of people have never heard or thought about, the Bobcat Toolcat 5600 B-series, which is my personal favorite. Although these things are much more pricier than your "standard" utility vehicle, they make up for it in the specs. These things are packing a 46 HP Diesel engine with a 10.5 gallon tank. The only other bad side to these vehicles are that they weigh a lot more, 4755 lb shipping weight, and they are about a foot and a half longer than most. But the box in these is huge. You have plenty of room for a pump/tank combo that most people have in their grass fire pick-up trucks. They also have a 18 GPM, 3045 PSI hydraulic pump. Also, they have the Bob-Tach attachment system on them, which mean you could attach a dozer bald, grapple hook, or maybe even a brush saw if they come out for one for this model.

Forum Member

Default Search Urban Custom Llc. In New Jersey

We Build These Units To Departments Specs.
    (not Just One Brand) All Makes And Models Custom Built

973-903-2815 Urban Custom Llc.

Forum Member

We have a Polaris Ranger with a removable skid on the back and it works great. We transport it from area to area by trailer. We also have a John Deere Gator but we only use it at most for holding gear and a water station at our safety point. Our burns aren't really that large down in S. Fl. The Polaris doesn't really hold much water but if you have a water buffalo or another engine on site, even a water station its not an issue. Hope that this helps.

Kat

Forum Member

The Polaris Ranger 6x6 or Gator 6x6 seem like they would be good choices because they have high cargo bed load capacities and decent size. This would be good for handling a decent sized water tank. I've read that the John Deere Gator is manufactured by Kawasaki for JD, so quality of Gators and Kawasaki machines should be equally good. The new Kawaski Mule 3010 Trans4x4 is pretty neat with it's ability to carry 4 people and then within minutes the rear bench seat can be folded up and the rear cargo bed transformed to extra large size. There's some info on the Kawasaki Mule 3010 Trans4x4 here: http://www.rc-trucks.org/kawasaki-mule.htm . This new rig is popular with the hunters. Might come in handy for hauling extra firefighters off road. Might check with Kawasaki and see if they have a equipment donation program too.

Forum Member

Also wanted to mention that I read that some of the newer Polaris Ranger utility vehicles were having a overheating problem. I think it was just on the newer 700 engine. By the way, here's some info on the Polaris Ranger: http://www.rc-trucks.org/polaris-ranger.htm . Unfortunately, doesn't have much on the 6x6. There is a utility vehicle comparison chart on this page of the same site: http://www.rc-trucks.org/recreation-...hicles-ruv.htm . Anyway, apparently some people with the newer Polaris Ranger 700 XP model were having problems with the engine getting so hot that it was melting the plastic of the seats and other stuff around. Melting, dripping plastic onto a hot engine or exhaust system sounds like a good way to start a fire! Wouldn't that be bad... going out to fight a brush fire with a utility vehicle, and the machine catches itself on fire! Anyway, if pursuing any Polaris Ranger with the newer 700 engine, then it might be worth researching if Polaris got that overheating problem fixed! Sure hope they did!!

Forum Member

Thumbs up Kawasaki proves it 's worth!!

Hi all,

I'm a facilities director a t a campus here in NY, and this Mule wins hands down. I did a a bunch of research before our purchase, and it seems Kawasaki has been doing the same thing thing for a long time. It has been in use for a whole year, without a hitch. We use it for plowing also, and it's a real workhorse. Thank you all for your commitment to make our surroundings safer.

Feel free to pm me with any questions....here's some pix

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2594...84692219SLHTFl

Forum Member

Default WASP Emergency Vehicle

Check out this all wheel drive articulated emergency vehicle made by firefighter in Texas. Looks sort of like a downsized Gamma Goat. Watch the video to get an idea where WASP can go.

http://www.diamondgconcepts.com/

Forum Member

Default go polaris

we have a 2004 polaris the way to go ground clearence and suspension extc

you are buying a rescue vehicle not a lawn mower

Forum Member

We have a 6x6 Polaris Ranger 700 EFI with an RKO Enterprises 70 gallon water/5 gallon foam skid unit in back. There are many reasons why we went with the Ranger 6x6. One, with 75 gallons of liquids in back there is a lot of weight for just a 4x4 machine. Also, the skid unit would hang over the bed and rest on the tail-gate with just about any 4x4. Also, with an extra 2 wheels on back, there is so much more floatation when going through swampy areas. Yes, there is not much for ground clearance, but you go right over the top of everything so it has not been much of an issue. When we were looking for a UTV, we looked at many different manufacturers. We looked at Polaris, John Deere, Cub Cadet, Bobcat, and Kubota. The John Deere, Cub Cadet, and Bobcat just weren't built as tough as the Kubota or Ranger. Between the Kubota and Ranger, the major difference was the diesel motor and hydrostatic transmission in the Kubota vs. the Rangers EFI gas motor with a belt drive much like that of a snowmobile. The Kubota had nice features such as an all metal box and the hydrostatic transmission so there was no worries about a belt slipping or burning up. However, these features came with a price. The unit was fairly heavy for a 4x4, it was almost twice the price for a Kubota than a 6x6 Ranger, and there wasn't much for ground clearance unless you would get some mat tracks or something like that for another $5,000 or so. We were working on a budget of about $20,000, so it wasn't in our ballpark by the time you buy the machine, the skid unit, a trailer to haul it on, and to set up or buy a vehicle to pull the trailer and unit. Overall, I think we made the right decision going with the Ranger. We use it as initial attack and mop-up on almost all of our grass/brush fires. The Ranger has basically been doing the work that our gama goats did, since the goats are now nearly 40 years old and aren't very reliable. The Ranger is pulled by one of our tanker trucks which has worked out well. The only bad thing about the Ranger and skid is that unless you watch your usage, you run out of water in a couple of minutes. But with a well trained crew of 2 or 3 people, you can put out a lot of fire with that 70 gallons of water and foam system. Once at the scene, we drop the trailer out of the way and can then use the tanker as a tanker.

Forum Member

Default tracks for your 6x6?

Gentlemen...
    Your observations regarding the various equipments are similar to my own, but if you are considering the Polaris Ranger 6x6 or the Gator 6x4, are you aware that there are rear tracks available that can really improve your vehicle's traction and stability? Try an EBay search for "Polaris Ranger Tracks" or refer to www.TheTracksCompany.com. Keep up the good work!

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=fire0099881]If you ask me both of them are complete junk, about the only thing they are useful for is hauling equipment around at f.d. functions. Give me an old willy's jeep over anything![/QUOTE

So if the above units are "complete junk" why would you haul equipment around at a f.d. function??? Last time I checked a fire call was a f.d. function! I think the above units would be great for brush fires or ems calls. Even if you don't put a tank and a pump for fighting fire just use it to haul equipment,manpower and or drinks for your people. That would be a huge help in mye eyes. BE SAFE!

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by fire0099881
    If you ask me both of them are complete junk, about the only thing they are useful for is hauling equipment around at f.d. functions. Give me an old willy's jeep over anything!

HEY fire0099881, why is it that every post you reply to you have nothing constructive to contribute. I was taught if had nothing nice to say to keep your mouth shut. I also agree that both vehicles are a great asset to firefighting, but the Gator seems to get light in the front end with a pump and tank unit. This requires weights on the front axle. Not good in muddy brush fire that we have in the Midwest.

Forum Member

My department has a Gator on order. Only using it as a Search and Rescue/ EMS vehicle though. The plan is if we have a brush fire it gets used as a hose/personnel/water/Indian Tank caddy. We found a model with decent enough ground clearance, and we're getting a winch for it just in case it DOES get stuck, not that most of our member's ATVs couldn't eat a Gator and ask for seconds, but we're hoping it will work out nicely. We're probably getting an enclosed trailer that will tote around some more S&R/EMS equipment as well (ropes, stokes basket, etc.) I'll repost if the stupid thing ever comes in as to how it does.

Forum Member

Default Look at these

Have you heard about the "ATEV's" All Terrain Emergency Vehicles?
    They will go anywhere. They even float and have tracks for deep mud and snow. go to www.carbafiretech.com and check out the comments on the Carba website.

Thread Information