Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Congradulations, after 10 years on an engine, we are promoting you to a Truck Lt.

Ok, a poorly worded title, but I had a question for the FDNY guys. I was reading the press release about the new Chief's, and two comments caught my eye:

"Chief Cassano was appointed a New York City firefighter in November of 1969, and worked for several years at engine companies in lower Manhattan. He was promoted to Lieutenant in 1977 and worked at Ladder 113 in Brooklyn"

and

"Chief McNally was assigned to Ladder Company 55 in the Bronx until his promotion to lieutenant in 1983. He worked as a Lieutenant at Engine Company 58 in Harlem"

is it normal for a person who serves several years on a truck or engine to get promoted and put in charge of a different type of apparatus? ie, can someone work for 10 years on an truck, and be promoted to hazmat Lt? or if they spent 8 years as Lt on an engine, and 5 years before on a truck, can they be promoted to a Rescue Co. Captain?

I would imagine that if someone spent 10 yars on a truck, then it would be a better choice to make them a Lt on a truck company. after all, that is what they know best. but i'm just wondering if that is how it works in the big cities.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Not sure about FDNY, I would guess its the same as here. You are a FF not an engineman or a ladderman. Once promoted you are a Lieut. not an engine lieut or ladder lieut. Our department puts you where your drag can get you.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Same here as far as engines and trucks are concerned. Here as in most places I am sure, assignment to a dedicated HAZMAT or rescue company normally requires additional qualifications. Unfortunately, political influence may occasionally superceed the need for the boss to actually know what he is doing.
    Robert Kramer
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Same in Seattle.

Once you are promoted, you "bounce around" for a while, in an assigned Division usually, covering medical leaves, vacations and the like. But you can be assigned to any company, engine or truck. The only thing I think you cant be promoted to is Haz Mat, until you have the proper training. The bosses in my house cant work OT in one of the other houses in my Battalion, because the engine is a Haz Mat engine, and the Truck is a Soc support truck. Other than that, you are expected to know enough about the job to work at any company.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

former FH.com member

Same here, along with the possibilty of being dragged into an administrative job (i.e. fire prevention).

just a note: a firemen in NY can be detailed to any company(ENGINE or truck) for a tour.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Normally as far as the rescue companies I believe they like to have officers in those spots that got promoted from one of them. Then there's the exception of a good captain from the Hilton going to 43rd St.

No real method to the madness on my job either. The other captain in my house did over 20 yrs on an engine and is assigned to the truck. I did 3 on an engine,10 on a truck and 12 on the rescue and I'm on the engine.

Now that I think about it, I believe possibly in L.A. ( someone help me if I'm wrong) making Lt. gets you on an engine only. You have to be a Captain to be a truck officer. I think that's what I got from a late night conversation in a noisy bar after a few one year in Balitmore.

MembersZone Subscriber

My Captain was a fireman on a pumper, driver of a pumper, and only a few times got detailed to a truck. Then he did a short stint in our training division after the promotion to capt. and now he is on a Quint which 80% of the time functions as a truck on most structure fires. It just happens.

Thread Information