MembersZone Subscriber

Default Wisconsin Fire Dept locked out by board member

I don't know anything else about this story, just found it. Anyone else hear about this and know more?

For the last twenty years.. the Tripoli Volunteer Fire Department has protected around 300 residents in both Tripoli and Lynn.
    But.. as a result of a town board meeting last night.. the Department is now locked up.. and shut down.
    Town Chairman Doug Marheine tells us it was his idea.
    So much so.. that no other board members had a say in the decision.
    Marheine says the reason is because there was no accountability from the fire department... but wouldn't elaborate on that.
    The acting chief disagrees with the assessment... and is worried that the closest help is now 25 miles away.
    "we can no longer offer these people that. they have to wait for the ambulance to come all the way from tomahawk before they can get any kind of help."
    Both sides are taking legal action.
    But until that's settled... an agreement is in place for Tomahawk fire to cover emergency calls.

Forum Member

I hope that Tomahawk can move some units into the area while this thing gets sorted out. Twenty-five miles is a long haul.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

OIY-VEY..... thats not good. Hope all gets squared away real soon.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

The direction of this country is sickening.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it wasn't like this 20 years ago was it?

Forum Member

The ultimate irony would be for town chairman Doug Marheine to require the services of the fire department nad have to wait until Tomahawk made the 25 mile trip.

He is candidate for the "MOTY" award!

*Mutt Of The Year!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I don't know what to use at the title:

A) Ok, we used to joke about the rocket scientists who make these decisions...

or

B) The real question is...will fire protection be restored in time for the next rocket launch?

http://www.tripoliwisconsin.org/weblog.php

Other observations:
    1) Seems like you're out on a limb locking the doors without the Board making a decision

2) We see this regularly, and usually the people who control the money win.

3) How much fracking accountability are we worried about in a community of 300?

Forum Member

And it all comes full circle...

Their safety officers need to follow NFPA 1127, the High Power Rocket Safety Code.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

god help tripoli if they get a workin structure.......it would take them at least 45 minutes to get the nearest engine there (let alone a ladder truck)

Forum Member

Did a town of 300 have a ladder truck to begin with?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190
    probably not. shouldnt have brought that up. but still it would take a while to get an engine.

Forum Member

This is why I like our setup where the FD is it's own private organization. The most the town could do is tell us we use the apparatus and equipment but the building and property and anything that isn't fire service related isn't owned by the town.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ameryfd
    I don't know anything else about this story, just found it. Anyone else hear about this and know more?

For the last twenty years.. the Tripoli Volunteer Fire Department has protected around 300 residents in both Tripoli and Lynn.
    But.. as a result of a town board meeting last night.. the Department is now locked up.. and shut down.
    Town Chairman Doug Marheine tells us it was his idea.
    So much so.. that no other board members had a say in the decision.
    Marheine says the reason is because there was no accountability from the fire department... but wouldn't elaborate on that.
    The acting chief disagrees with the assessment... and is worried that the closest help is now 25 miles away.
    "we can no longer offer these people that. they have to wait for the ambulance to come all the way from tomahawk before they can get any kind of help."
    Both sides are taking legal action.
    But until that's settled... an agreement is in place for Tomahawk fire to cover emergency calls.
    Around here an individual board member does not have that kind of power. The majority of the board has to be in agreement and it is voted on at a meeting. I would think that this will get messy really quick!!!

But this is small town politics.....

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Thumbs down If it walks like a mutt and talks like a mutt it probably is a MUTT

I would love to know more about this town chairman. Chances are that he had a run in with someone from the fire department that probably had nothing to do with fire protection. Some politicians will use their position to fulfill a personal vendetta while proclaiming that they are doing a great service to the community. He didn't need to shut the doors. Have they had any meetings about this before or did this come out of the blue?

You would think that the town attorney would have shot this idea down since it seems to me that the chairman has opened himself and the town up to a HUGE liability. If someone gets seriously injured or dies and it can be directly attributed to his decision, he/the town is SCREWED. He should have ensured proper coverage before closing their doors, IF that was his ONLY legitimate choice. I doubt that it was.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

There's much more to this story then we're told through that small article, I'm betting. Kinda hard to make any judgements about it without more information.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chopper12
    There's much more to this story then we're told through that small article, I'm betting. Kinda hard to make any judgements about it without more information.
    Always a true statement. The Wisconsin EMS magazine also had a little blurb about it too, but there was no more information than the TV report posted.

Two thoughts:

#1) Wisconsin law states that a municipality MUST provide fire protection for it's citizens. However it does not specify where the protection must come from. Theoretically, a town could hire a fire department from Russia to cover thier territory and be compliant.

#2) Wisconsin law also dictates no real sole authority to a town chairman. Any town chair (for the most part) has no legal authority. The legal authority rests within the board as a whole, not in an individual.

That's why this sounds so wierd..... And I'm guessing that's why it's ended in court. I ran a search through the Wisconsin Circuit courts and haven't found anything yet, so I'm sure there's some behind the scenes stuff going on.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Absolutely!!...............

Quote Originally Posted by chopper12
    YUP!!, I'm with Chopper. Just one more reason to remove all controls over Fire/Rescue/EMS from local Government. Emergency Services are far too critical to be vulnerable to interference from local politicians.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190 View Post
    It is doubtful, I'm on two departments. One protects 2000 people and only runs 2 engines, a tanker, a light rescue, a boat, a mobile cascade, and a brush truck.
    The other protects 3000 people and only has 2 engines, 1 tanker, 1 brush/light rescue truck, and an ATV for off highway rescues.
    However, there are plenty of ladders around us.
    Northfield, MA has a ladder with 4000 residents.
    Hinsdale, NH has a ladder with 5000 residents.
    Brattleboro has a ladder with 14000 residents.
    Putney has a ladder with 3000 residents.
    Greenfield, MA has a ladder with 20000 residents.
    Keene, NH has 2 ladders with 25000 residents.
    Westminster has a ladder with 4000 residents.
    IDK about a town of 300 though, the smallest town around us has 800 people. But one in NH about 20 miles away has 200 and they only have a brush truck, boat, and off road rescue. Their station is not even in their town! It is over the line in Keene!

Forum Member

CLEAR !!!!!!!!!! and totaly irrelevant to the thread !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Default Who pee'd in the Cheerios

Think Chopper and H have it nailed. In a perfect world government would have no Authority over emergency services and cash would rain from the heavens. There is always more to the story (Paul Harvey knew it). Until "local yokels" put the people first, the song remains the same. The town in the headline is all that changes.

Thread Information