Forum Member

Default 'Paraplegic' Ditches Wheelchair in Police Pursuit

'Paraplegic' Ditches Wheelchair in Police Pursuit

'Paraplegic' Ditches Wheelchair, Flees Cops

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (May 12) - Authorities said a woman who claimed she was a paraplegic and repeatedly filed claims and lawsuits for noncompliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act was a con artist without any physical limitations.

After her arrest this month by Las Vegas police, Laura Lee Medley, 35, leaped from her wheelchair and ran for freedom, officials said.

Complaining earlier that she was having medical problems, police took the woman to a Las Vegas hospital for treatment, said David Wert, spokesman for San Bernardino County.

"That's where the great miracle occurred," he said. Medley "made a break for it," leading police on a brief foot pursuit before she was captured, Wert said.

Medley's claims against public entities - including San Bernardino County, South Pasadena and Long Beach - claimed a bus dropped her off near what she called a non-ADA compliant roadway or curb, causing her wheelchair to topple. She claimed three broken arms in eight weeks - two lefts and a right.

South Pasadena settled Medley's claim for $6,700 on Oct. 18, 2005.

Her questionable claims led to last week's arrest in Las Vegas.

Medley was charged with filing false documents, attempted grand theft and two counts of insurance fraud. She is in a Las Vegas jail awaiting extradition to San Bernardino.

Medley's alleged deception was discovered by San Bernardino County officials after she filed a complaint saying she fell and broke her left arm on Oct. 17, 2005.

County lawyer Mike Sachs said Medley called him in December to complain about treatment she was receiving from county employees. Medley claimed she was an ADA compliance expert and she threatened to organize a protest march, Sachs said.

"She was a very pushy lady, and anytime she wasn't happy with a response she was getting from someone at the county, she would try to go to the next highest person," Sachs said.

On Feb. 4, she filed a claim for $9,072 in medical expenses and lost wages. Medley then produced hospital medical records, documents that repeatedly misspelled Bernardino as Bernadino.

The hospital confirmed the documents were bogus.

Sachs said they learned Medley filed a nearly identical wheelchair-toppling claim seeking $5,200 from Long Beach. The claim was denied because the sidewalk was wheelchair accessible, Long Beach Deputy City Attorney Belinda Mayes said.

Medley then filed a federal lawsuit April 4 against Long Beach. That U.S. District Court suit is still pending and Mayes declined comment.

05/11/06 21:34 EDT

Too funny

Forum Member

Even though I got a sneak peak lol, i will remain impartial and act as if reading this for the first time.....

WTF!!! There are some crazy people out there.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

About 6 years ago,I was driving a wheelchair bus for a cab company and was on call,when I got paged for a police pick up.
    Given that the cabbies usually take those,I asked for a confirmation and was told it was a DUI in a wheelchair.
    Thinking that it was this regular passenger,a big ol' boy with a 600 lb.air controlled chair due to his being quadrapalegic,I took one of the buses for a heavier lift capacity.
    I get there and it's this guy in a sedan with hand controls that got pulled over and he had this little bitty racing chair to get around in out of the car.
    We get to the county lock up and all they can see on the cameras is this big white vehicle and they are not about to open up,even when the officer riding along tells them who he is and what his business is.
    We had to get a field supervisor to the sally port entrance,back the bus up and get the guy out of the bus and stand where the camera could see us before we got him in for processing.
    It really does take all kinds,doesn't it?

Forum Member

Put the nasty clam in jail. Get every red penny back, garnish all of her wages, and make her do 1000 hours per year of community service with handicapped individuals for the rest of her life.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    Put the nasty clam in jail. Get every red penny back, garnish all of her wages, and make her do 1000 hours per year of community service with handicapped individuals for the rest of her life.
    I second that motion.

This person is the equivalent of toe lint.

We have a quad in our first due. Great guy. Great attitude. He broke his neck body surfing 40 YEARS ago. Doesn't want sympathy or a handout.

I think of this scam artist and our patient and I want to hurl that she would fake something of this nature for a quick buck.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Default placards

This one was bad but I also want to seize the handicapped parking placards that so many people have and use and then get out of their vehicle and I don't see a thing wrong with them. They use them even though it is for some other family member who they are supposed to use them legitimatley for.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by lvwrench
    This one was bad but I also want to seize the handicapped parking placards that so many people have and use and then get out of their vehicle and I don't see a thing wrong with them. They use them even though it is for some other family member who they are supposed to use them legitimatley for.
    I've always thought that I should be down and my hands and knees praising God that I DON'T have to use the handicapped parking spots.

I also had a woman I used to work with who went to Disney World. They fitted one of their kids with a cast and put him in a wheelchair so they could jump the lines. Sick.

Thread Information