Forum Member

Question Accelerant Detection Dogs???

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a little bit of information. I am 16, I live in Arizona, and I wanted to know what the requirements for an accelerant detection dog handler is. I have a 1 yr old mastiff and just for a challenge I started training her, it surprised me that in like four days she is now able to detect one accelerant and knows to sit to alert me to a find. She seems to really enjoy doing this and I was wondering if it would actually be possible for us to become a certified team. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by az2nj2006
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with a little bit of information. I am 16, I live in Arizona, and I wanted to know what the requirements for an accelerant detection dog handler is. I have a 1 yr old mastiff and just for a challenge I started training her, it surprised me that in like four days she is now able to detect one accelerant and knows to sit to alert me to a find. She seems to really enjoy doing this and I was wondering if it would actually be possible for us to become a certified team. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    My first thought is that you need to have someone sponsor you in this endevor. Are you using food or play as a reward? If using food it can get very expensive and you must train every day so the canine can eat. You will also need to find a chemist that is willing to certify you on a yearly basis. As far as the requirements, it is up to the indiviual agency who is the sponsor. There are several groups that train canines for departments. One is the ATF and another is Stae Farm insurance. ATF uses labradors for their accelerant and explosive canines. Hopefully this was some help. If you need more information feel free to PM me and I will try and answer any more questions. You might also try here http://www.atf.gov/about/programs/canine.htm
    Last edited by BFDLT32; 05-14-2006 at 11:13 PM.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

this might give you some info....came from our state fire marshall website http://www.statefarm.com/commun/arsondog.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

I am also interested in becoming an ARSON investigator I work for a major dept in the san francisco bay area...I know what classes to take ect ect....I will like to have my own dog...when you say ATF/trains the dog...does that mean you dont get a "puppy" that you have to train from scratch? do you know of any organizations in california that specifically certify you as a arson dog handler/trainer? thanks for the information.

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

Both of these programs are great, however what about a POC Department that wants a dog.
    The only dogs are run by the state and you could wait up to 2 hrs or more if the only dog in metro chicago area is busy(which he is all the time). This is not slammin State K-9 cuz he's an awsome guy, but he cover Chicago and all the burbs.

Any programs for a poc department, I would think that anyone able to give up 5 weeks of their full time gig would merit consideration for a program. I know my department will buy vehicle, pay vet bills etc.etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

The only dogs are run by the state and you could wait up to 2 hrs or more if the only dog in metro chicago area is busy(which he is all the time). This is not slammin State K-9 cuz he's an awsome guy, but he cover Chicago and all the burbs.

Is Mitch still running his dog?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Happyhoseman510
    I am also interested in becoming an ARSON investigator I work for a major dept in the san francisco bay area...I know what classes to take ect ect....I will like to have my own dog...when you say ATF/trains the dog...does that mean you dont get a "puppy" that you have to train from scratch? do you know of any organizations in california that specifically certify you as a arson dog handler/trainer? thanks for the information.
    Lets say that you apply for and are accecpted by the ATF for a canine. Prior to your arrival at the training academy several canines are imprinted for the students in the class. After a week of classroom training and some hands on work with the canines you will be paired with your new partner. Most of the canines that ATF uses are from the Guiding Eyes Foundation or Canine Companions or like organizations. Most are between 14-18 months old. In the following weeks (six) you will learn how to imprint your new partner on different odors. You will travel to fire scenes for practical exercises. At the end of the class you will have one of the best partners you could ask for.

As far as certification in California I would recommend calling CDF and see if they can answer your questions. ATF re-certifies their canine each year. Currently there are two canine teams in California. One is in L.A. and the other is in the northern part of the state.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AFD2181
    Both of these programs are great, however what about a POC Department that wants a dog.

Any programs for a poc department, I would think that anyone able to give up 5 weeks of their full time gig would merit consideration for a program. I know my department will buy vehicle, pay vet bills etc.etc.
    Check with Joilet Fire Department. They have had a canine for several years and just received another since the former handler retired. The current handler should be able to help you in answering any questions about the program.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BFDLT32
    Lets say that you apply for and are accecpted by the ATF for a canine. Prior to your arrival at the training academy several canines are imprinted for the students in the class. After a week of classroom training and some hands on work with the canines you will be paired with your new partner. Most of the canines that ATF uses are from the Guiding Eyes Foundation or Canine Companions or like organizations. Most are between 14-18 months old. In the following weeks (six) you will learn how to imprint your new partner on different odors. You will travel to fire scenes for practical exercises. At the end of the class you will have one of the best partners you could ask for.

As far as certification in California I would recommend calling CDF and see if they can answer your questions. ATF re-certifies their canine each year. Currently there are two canine teams in California. One is in L.A. and the other is in the northern part of the state.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions.

ATF dogs are amazing. Since their training facility is (statewise) local to us, and there are at least three ATF dogs assigned to local agencies in the state, my class had the great opportunity to meet one of the handlers and see a demonstration by the dog. If I had not seen the dog in action, I would not believe its abilities.

The training and upkeep regimen on the dogs is insane. It takes a huge commitment and lifestyle change. The handler literally spends hours each day working the dog. These dogs are not pets, by any stretch of the imagination, and any pet someone has would probably not work out so well.

As mentioned earlier, the dogs are "rejects" from the seeing eye dog training schools. Their natural inquisitiveness and drive is what makes them unsuitable for guide dog work, but exactly what makes them perfect to be accelerant detection dogs.

To check out further information, see

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fr/prevention/invhours.htm

and

http://www.atf.gov/kids/canines.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Budget and Funding

does anyone have budget and funding source information for arson det dog currently working on some ideas and lookin for help

thanks

Forum Member

Currently CSFA (California State Firefighters Association),is writing a standard for Accelerant Detection Canines. It is in the very early stages. K-9 handlers from around the state and country are on the committee working on the project.

Thread Information