MembersZone Subscriber

Default Duluth MN Written Exam

Interested in what the applicants thought of the Duluth written exam on the 13th. Too bad everyone who didn't make the cut has to wait to get their results until the list is established sometime in July! I felt the test was challenging but not too much that it won't accurately seperate the "good" from the "poor"

MembersZone Subscriber

I took the test this morning
    Last edited by Golzy12; 04-10-2013 at 11:36 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was very confident with the first red booklet i only had no more than five questions that i wasnt 100% sure about, but i really didnt like the supplement book, what was the deal with having wildland terminology on there? I agree it was a waste of time.

Forum Member

Default break a window?

How about the window breaking? Halligan or pick ax?

Yeah I agree the test was not hard, My only strugle was the math (I should have payed better attention in 4th grade)

Intresting enough if you read the job anonuncement it said they will take the top 35, the next sentance said something about also taking under-represented candidates. I can't remember word for word but you get the point.

I would have liked to have seen more situational or personal judgment questions.

I'm not sure how many people took the test, the room looked full but we all sat every other seat. Maybe about 250 people there?

MembersZone Subscriber

I had friends who went to UMD, and they said bohanan (or whatever it's called) room 90 held 300 people, and if we all sat every other seat that would be around 150. But I don't know if they knew for sure that the capicity was 300.

MembersZone Subscriber

I chose haligan for window breaking due to the fact that at an auto ex scene that particular tool as many more uses than an axe...

As far as how many people were there. I saw a sign for Max. Capacity of something like 368?? So about 150-175 test takers. "The top thirty-five (35) applicants with the highest passing Written Test scores will be invited to participate in the Oral/Performance Test. Veterans and underrepresented class participants who pass the written exam will also be invited to participate." You be the judge of how that statement reads. According to one of retiring Duluth firefighters the city has 25-35 guys up for retirement in the next year so if you move past the written your odds of landing a job go up ten fold. Good luck!

Forum Member

I asked the woman at the door how many were taking the test, she said 200.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm sure less than 200 showed up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here we are a month after the written was administered and I still haven't heard that they've sent out invites to interview yet, Do you think the fire department is going to start taking hits due the city of Duluth's bankruptcy/debt talk?

MembersZone Subscriber

The city sent out the invitations to interview today! Good luck to those who made the cut!

MembersZone Subscriber

I got my letter today saying I'm going to the "oral performance portion of the selection process." The letter said the oral performance portion will take a total of about an hour, that seems really long for an oral interview.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think the reason it says it'll take an hour is because they may be doing more than just an inteview, hence "oral performance". I tested in Appleton WI and their final step involved some group problem solving, role playing, oral skills, plus the interview! Just a wild guess but that might be it.

MembersZone Subscriber

On the Job Announcement sheet under the Oral Performance Test section it says "Information regarding how to prepare for Oral Performance tests can be obtained in room 313 city hall", has anyone picked up this information, I have a couple questions about it. I'm down in the Twin Cities so I can't pick it up and I called up to HR but the guy I needed to talk to is away form the office.

MembersZone Subscriber

Golzy I just went down to City Hall a bit ago. The secretary said that they don't have any prep. information for the oral performance test and didn't know why that sentence offering it was in the application. Going in to blind. Good Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thats strange, It would be nice if we had more information, there really are a lot of unknows abotu this oral performance test. Anyways, good luck to you too.

Forum Member

Good luck to both of you guys. I will be up there as well from the Twin Cities.

Forum Member

The mayor of Duluth has announced draconian budget cuts, including the laying off of five firefighters and eleven police officers. DFD is already short seven (hence the current testing and interviews), so this is tantamount to cutting an engine company and closing a station. Eleven LEOs is nearly an entire shift.
    [Fire Chief John] Strongitharm said the proposed cuts would leave the Fire Department 12 firefighters short and would be the first layoffs in the department during his 20-year career.

"That's an entire fire company plus three more people," the fire chief said. "No one is proposing cutting rigs yet, but with that many cuts it could mean closing a fire station. It will mean less fire protection."
    [Police Chief Roger] Waller said he's losing 11 police officers, almost the equivalent of losing an entire shift -- which is made up of 12 officers.
    http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/du...s/14927894.htm

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/du...s/14918977.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

That doesnt sound very promising, I htink I smoke the interview too. How does everyone feel they did?

MembersZone Subscriber

Any word on the proposed cuts to fire department funding?

Forum Member

Duluth police Chief Roger Waller had the knads to ask Mayor Herb Bergson to speak at the swearing-in ceremony of the probationary police officers whose jobs were threatened:

"I will say that recently there have been some unfortunate circumstances that make life a little tougher on some of these officers," Bergson told the assembly. "I can tell you that as the days go on, I'm more and more encouraged that we can resolve this problem to the betterment of everyone and the salvation of these fine officers sticking with the Duluth Police Department that are being sworn in today."

The mayor was politely applauded by the officers, their families and friends.
    http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/du...s/15089728.htm

Three days later, the cuts of probationary firefighters and police officers are off the table - for now.

.... with the city facing a towering liability for retiree health-care costs, administrators won't rule out employee cuts at some other time ....
    http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/du...s/15113722.htm

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/du...s/15116099.htm

It's not over yet, but the sun isn't exactly shining, either.

Forum Member

Did anyine make it to the chiefs interview? They had the interview last week and they hired 6, I was told that they are going to be hiring at least 3 more in the next couple months.

Forum Member

Has anyone been hired on Duluth?

MembersZone Subscriber

They just hired 6 and are looking to hire on 6 more by May and that will be it for this list....

Forum Member

Thanks HFD,

Did you get hired?

MembersZone Subscriber

No i did not one of my good friends finally got hired after being #1 and #2 on the list for the past few years!....i did however just take a job with the City of St Cloud Fire Department
    so who knows maybe ill be back around the next time they test

Thread Information