Forum Member

Arrow Best Part of Firefighting

First of all, I would like to introduce myself My name is Kedra H. from Tucson, AZ. I just joined a couple of hours ago, I should've joined months ago, but had been lacking. Anyhow, it is a pleasure to meet you all, and I look foward to meeting new people and learning new things that will further my career as a firefighter and strengthen my mind and body to make myself stronger in and out of uniform.

However, though I am a new subscriber to firehouse.com, I like to just right into the action.

First, I would like to know what everyone think is the best part of firefighting is. Whether it's saving lives, a day of basketball, training, hanging around the firehouse or just whatever you think is the best part of firefighting.

Personally, it would be first saving lives, and then the adrenaline you get when the alarm sounds and your putting on your turnout gear and doing your best to get to the emergency and knowing that your doing a duty and not just a job. That's the best part of firefighting to me. How about you?

MembersZone Subscriber

my name is jeff. i personally think the best thing about firefighting is the people you work with. they are like family. we always sit down and just shoot the crap and make jokes up. i also like the reward of helping people.

MembersZone Subscriber

My name is Andy, for me its the role of being a firefighter ....within that name is an honorable thing....knowing that when you get called you are performing a great duty for the citizens and the community you serve. You are part of a big family of 1.2 million brothers and sisters
    But there ain't no medals on my chest A*!holes cause im no hero, Im a fireman! (Denis Leary) Tommy Gavin - Rescue Me.

Forum Member

Knowing you are putting your best effort into making someone's really bad day a little bit better...

Forum Member

Default The best thing.....

After 26 years the best thing always has been, is, and will be, the successful completion of an assignment with a total team effort. Nothing better then the high fives, handshakes, and backslaps when your team has had a successful effort be it a rescue, a good knock down, or a roof ventilation job.

Second best, mentoring or training young firefighters and watching them climb the ladder to success using the talent and abilites they have been given.

Forum Member

To go along with what still learning said. one of the bests things about firefighting is having a successful fire, that doesnt just include saving someone or making a good knockdown, it means finishing an assignment without anyone getting hurt.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

For me, it's the brotherhood. I'm a Resident Volunteer with Mankato Fire Department, on call 10 nights a month, and I live at the Station. You don't find camaraderie in many places like we have - I'd say Police Department and Military are the two other fields where it's similar. My full-time job is as Director and Senior Editor at KEYC-TV - it gets old sometimes. The backstabbing, the "me first" attitude, all that. While there is still conflict at the fire department, and personality clashes, at the end of the day, we're all there for the same thing - to save lives, and take care of each other. I know that, regardless of conflicts any of us have had in the past, none of us would hesistate a moment in risking our lives to save a brother or sister. You don't get that anywhere other than services where you're putting your life on the line on a daily basis - and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chopper12
    I know that, regardless of conflicts any of us have had in the past, none of us would hesistate a moment in risking our lives to save a brother or sister.

I coulnt agree more, that is a great part of the job.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

I also agree tremendously, very great part of being a firefighter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default RE: Best part of being a Fire Fighter

I would have to say that in my opinion the best part is as some else said "making someones bad better by us being there to control the situation" also the providing of the highest level of "Customer Service" to the people that live and work in my community makes me feel a great amount of pride and satisfaction in what I do to help those that my "brother fire fighters" and I serve.

Tom - FF/EMT-B in Northern Michigan

Thread Information