Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Best Part of Firefighting

First, I would like to know what everyone think is the best part of firefighting is. Whether it's saving lives, a day of basketball, training, hanging around the firehouse or just whatever you think is the best part of firefighting.

Personally, it would be first saving lives, and then the adrenaline you get when the alarm sounds and your putting on your turnout gear and doing your best to get to the emergency and knowing that your doing a duty and not just a job. That's the best part of firefighting to me. How about you?

Annual firehouse picnic, everyone gathering eating some good BBQ food and throwing the pig skin around...
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Being around a great group of guys (and/or ladies) and having a part in saving a life or just helping someone. I also enjoy taking kids through the smoke trailers and giving people tours of the apparatus.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber Shoreman22's Avatar

Red face Training

Being an instructor on graduation day at the academy - knowing that, because of the time & effort put in by you and your colleagues, the FNGs have the basic tools to get the job done and to stay alive in the process.
    Proud member of the IACOJ.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you....

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

Forum Member

Q Sirens and Leather helmets...

On the more serious side of things...everything, it's the greatest job in the world.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

Definitely the lighter side of the job.I'd rather have a month of training meetings with a bunch of good laughs than one call where everyone loads up to go back to the house holding back the tears.
    I especially enjoyed the school visits even if I always did scare the bejeebers out of a couple kids packing up for them.I liked how the kids look in their faces when they realized that I wasn't the monster they thought I was.
    Last edited by doughesson; 05-15-2006 at 03:36 PM.

Forum Member

When people ask me what I like about it, it's hard to give one answer. I love that no shift is ever the same, and I love that no matter what's going on, I'm in a job where I have brothers and sisters I can count on. My full-time job is as Director and Senior Editor at a TV station, and it doesn't often have that true team spirit you find in services like the Fire Department. It's like in Black Hawk Down, when Sfc. Norm 'Hoot' Hooten says:

"When I get home people 'll ask me, 'Hey Hoot, why do you do it man? Why? You some war junkie?' You know what I'll say? I won't say a goddamn word. Why? They won't understand. They won't understand why we do it. They won't understand that it's about the men next to you, and that's it. That's all it is."

The Fire Department, Police Department, and military are the only places where you will really find that - a brother or sister willing to put his life in the most dangerous situation known to man, to save yours. It doesn't matter if the firefighter stuck in a burning tunnel is one I've never really gotten along with - I'll be there to go in and get him. And the same would be true of him.

Half Price discount at Outback.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    Half Price discount at Outback.
    Must be nice. We cant even get free coffee anymore.

Oh, as for the question...I like the fact that no two shifts are alike. Always something different. I would hate to have a job that I did the same thing, day in-day out.

That and the "bikinis" we see here on the coast. Its not easy working for a beach department. But hey, somebody has to do it
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Second the "Q"!!! But seriously nothing beats giving little kids tours of the house and trucks... reminds me when I was a kid. Also, working as a team on a hard extrication.

Forum Member

Every freaking day...greatest job in the world. Only thing I ever wanted to do since 3 yrs old and am livin g the dream. Love the nite bfore shift, laying out the clothes.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Driving down the street at 45 over the posted limit with my 78 Pacer equipped with 48" Lightbar and Federal Q.

But seriously. Working with a great bunch of guys who I can trust with my life (but not my money, or my wife! ).
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I couldnt pick only 1 so I narrowed it down to 3.

1 - Big RED trucks, every time I see a firetruck I get this feeling that I can't even explain. It seems like the feeling gets better the older I get... and I'm only 21.

2 - Training, I am the type of person who always has to be learning somthing new and I think I chose the profession that can help me do just that.

3 - My favorite probably, Brotherhood, even though I am not even working for a dept yet I did just finish the academy for my FF I&II and EMT-B cards I only work as a Registration clerk in the local ER. The amount of respect that ALL of the firefighters, EMS workers, Hospital staff, and just the general public have shown me throughout my short journey so far is amazing. It seems like most of the EMS and fire staff have already taken me under their wings to show me so many things that I could never thank them.

Having both of my sons tell me that I am their Hero and that they want to be a Fire Fighter just like Daddy, nothing means more to me then earning the respect and admiration of my children. I had them fire dept shirts made and they insist on wearing theirs every time that I wear mine.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    Must be nice. We cant even get free coffee anymore.
    How about 50% off coffee? Will they allow you to take advantage of offers like the Chrysler $500 incentive for cops and firefighters?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    How about 50% off coffee? Will they allow you to take advantage of offers like the Chrysler $500 incentive for cops and firefighters?
    Sure...Deals on cars, c-phones and such. Its just I can recall a time when coffee was "on the house" at any of the 7/11 types. Not any more. Of course when I mentioned that to a friend of mine whos a sheriffs deputy, he said he doesnt have that problem.
    Last edited by Dave1983; 05-16-2006 at 09:13 PM.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Talking

about the same, with one big change (can you find it?) You also meet some of the greatest guys in the world in this buissness.

Quote Originally Posted by trailboss2
    I couldnt pick only 1 so I narrowed it down to 3.

1 - Big GREEN trucks, every time I see a firetruck I get this feeling that I can't even explain. It seems like the feeling gets better the older I get... and I'm only 21.

2 - Training, I am the type of person who always has to be learning somthing new and I think I chose the profession that can help me do just that.

3 - My favorite probably, Brotherhood, even though I am not even working for a dept yet I did just finish the academy for my FF I&II and EMT-B cards I only work as a Registration clerk in the local ER. The amount of respect that ALL of the firefighters, EMS workers, Hospital staff, and just the general public have shown me throughout my short journey so far is amazing. It seems like most of the EMS and fire staff have already taken me under their wings to show me so many things that I could never thank them.
    Of course when I mentioned that to a friend of mine whos a sheriffs deputy, he said he doesnt have that problem.
    He probably gets that free coffee because of all those doughnuts he eats!! J/K
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

Before I got into being a volunteer,at the gas stations I worked,police and firefighters got free coffee.I kept getting reprimanded at one job because they wanted the coffee giveaways documented so I just started writing down "pot"under amount given away.(Pencil pushing papershufflin ........)
    Once here in Memphis,there was a big fire down the street from my gas station and after the first crew came in,they started passing the word that "the drinks were free at the Summer/Graham Texaco".I paid for them out of my pocket because even then I know what working in hot conditions can do to a body.
    It doesn't ruin the bottom line to give away coffee to police and firefighters and it benefits the store by having them come in and buy stuff off duty as well.The added security aspect can't always be measured but I've left jobs because they didn't want be "sucking up"to the cops and saw those places get robbed not long after because the police were actually told to stay away from the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    Sure...Deals on cars, c-phones and such. Its just I can recall a time when coffee was "on the house" at any of the 7/11 types. Not any more. Of course when I mentioned that to a friend of mine whos a sheriffs deputy, he said he doesnt have that problem.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Helping good people who have had bad things happen, is a great feeling, but I think the #1 most satisfaction I get is the look on a kids face when we show him/her the trucks and the gear. Or maybe the few times we've had small children at a MVI, and passed a trauma bear out or two, and seen the kid smile, even briefly.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

The "Q" sirens and the adrenaline dump in the ol' gut pile!

Seriously, everything and anything. From seeing a big smoke plume several blocks away to seeing the awe in a child's face when you show him your helmet to the jokes told over meals to the guy who grabbed his wife's fluffy robe by accident on a 3am call. It really is the whole experience. Call me crazy but I still enjoy sweeping the floor, rolling hose, and tinkering with things.

And above all else, it is for the guy/girl next to you. You just won't understand unless you stand beside me.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information