Forum Member

Default Air Force Firefighters/Pararescue

I was wondering if anyone in here has been either a firefighter or pararescue in the United States Air Force. I leave for MEPS in 2 weeks and just wanted to know how there expirence was. Thanks
    Kyle Beard
    Engine 221 "East Side Express"
    FTM-PTM

Forum Member

There is a lot of info about the school and military firefighting at the Federal Firehouse Forum here:

http://forums.firehouse.com/forumdis...prune=20&f=300

Forum Member

Pararescue Jumpers are a totally different career path and totally unrelated to CFR/FF.

http://www.specialtactics.com/pararescue.shtml

You volunteer for PJ after basic training, but you can't just waltz into it. With an 80%+ drop out rate, you need to prepare for this bad boy.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

My oldest son is getting ready to go into the Air Force for firefighting as well. I can't wait to get him out of the house, except for right now he is painting it. Hope he gets done before he goes to Boot.
    Bill Geyer
    Engine 27
    Memphis F.D.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=DaSharkie]Pararescue Jumpers are a totally different career path and totally unrelated to CFR/FF.

http://www.specialtactics.com/pararescue.shtml

You volunteer for PJ after basic training, but you can't just waltz into it. With an 80%+ drop out rate, you need to prepare for this bad boy.[/QUOTE

LISTEN TO THIS MAN!

The pipeline for PJ's is incredibly hard, about a 90% drop out rate. If you are not already in very, very good shape, you will most certainly fail and get reclassed. (probably into something you didn't want.) Hate to break your spirits, but it's the truth. I've seen it happen to many guys. I tried the pipeline, and, well... . I spent the rest of my tech school in the same dorms as the PJ's and watched them for several months. If carrying an 18 inch thick log over your shoulders to the chow hall at 0500 hours every day sounds fun, then go for it.

Also, make sure you have Firefighting written on your enlistment paperwork before you leave for basic. NOTHING is guaranteed unless it is in writing, I don't care what your recruiter says. Have all your bases covered.

Good luck kid. You're gonna have one hell of an experience any way you go.
    Last edited by Plattsfire2; 05-14-2006 at 06:50 PM.

Forum Member

Plattsfire - You are a better man than I am for trying the pipeline. I have read books, articles, and seen numerous documentaries on these folks and have been very impressed. And to think that they come from the Air Force. Just kind of funny.

Hard core bunch of boys there man.

As for Air Force firefighters, I had some classes at Hickam Air Force base when I was stationed in Hawai'i. Their own cook in the firehouse.....I mean living the life man! Of course it was half Federal Firefighters, half Air Force, but still man.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

While the PJ school is very physically intense, anyone that passes the basic fitness requirements to get into and through AF Basic Training can handle it. Most of the drops are due to failures in the class room setting. A lot of info to digest and regurgitate in just a short amount of time.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information