the 4-1-4

Default Firefighter critically injured mother's day morning

Updated: 5/14/2006 11:23 AM MST
    DENVER - "Something went terribly wrong," said Denver Fire Lt. Phil Champagne speaking about a house fire that badly injured a firefighter early Sunday morning.

A Denver firefighter is in critical condition Sunday after trying to save a woman from a burning house.

Lt. Rich Montoya, 61, was hurt fighting a two story house fire near east 44th Avenue and Thompson Court in North Denver. The fire started around 4:30 a.m.

When crews got on scene flames and smoke were shooting out of a second story window.

Firefighters acted quickly and rescued one woman from the second floor. She is in critical condition at a Denver hospital.

According to Champagne, it was after that rescue when something happened that trapped Montoya. A specially trained rescue team went in and rescued the firefighter, but not until he had sustained "grave" injuries. A second firefighter was also hurt during the rescue.

That firefighter is expected to be all right.

A person who lives in the house says the fire started because a cotton ball was left too close to a candle. The cotton ball apparently had make-up remover or rubbing alcohol on it that caused it to ignite.

Fire investigators have not confirmed what caused the fire.

Earlier this week, another Denver firefighter was hurt. On Tuesday, 35-year-old Billy Green collapsed while fighting a house fire. He has since been released from the hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.

http://www.9news.com/includes/builda...lite-may06.wmv

Forum Member

HOLY SMOKE !!!!!!!! Rough week in Denver ...............Godspeed Brothers. May everyone have a safe recovery.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Get well soon brothers!

You will be in my preyers.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

the 4-1-4

DENVER - A firefighter critically injured Sunday morning was scheduled to retire in just two months. He was hurt while fighting a house fire in North Denver.

Additional Resources...
    Injured firefighter out of hospital

A Denver firefighter was critically injured when he backed into a bedroom instead of heading downstairs with the rest of his crew. 9NEWS 10 p.m. May 14, 2006.

"Something went terribly wrong," said Denver Fire Lt. Phil Champagne. 61 year old Rich Montoya, a 30 year fire department veteran, was found in a second floor room with a mattress on top of him.

Montoya was found by other firefighters who heard the screeching tone from an emergency device he was carrying. Montoya was given CPR on his way to a Denver hospital where he is now listed in critical condition. A spokesman for the fire department says it will be 24 to 72 hours until Montoya's prognosis is known.

The fire started about 4:30 Sunday morning at a home near East 44th Avenue and Thompson Court. When crews got on scene flames and smoke were shooting out of a second story window. Firefighters acted quickly and rescued one woman from the second floor. She is in critical condition at a Denver hospital.

According to Champagne, it was after that rescue when something happened that trapped Montoya. At the time of the accident, conditions were very bad inside the home with no visibility and heavy smoke. A second firefighter was also hurt during the rescue. He is expected to be fine.

A person who lives in the house says the fire started because a cotton ball was left too close to a candle. The cotton ball apparently had make-up remover or rubbing alcohol on it that caused it to ignite.

Fire investigators have not confirmed what caused the fire.

Earlier this week, another Denver firefighter was hurt. On Tuesday, 35-year-old Billy Green collapsed while fighting a house fire. He has since been released from the hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.

http://www.9news.com/includes/builda...estream905.wmv

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Good luck

My prayers go out to him and his family.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Thread Information