Forum Member

Exclamation NH and MA declare state of emergency

Since I'm in New Hampshire, just curious, if a boat and a car are traveling down the same road, who has the right of way? and do boats have to stop at stop signs?

State Of Emergency Declared As Waters Rise
    Officials Monitor Dams Across State
    Kirk Enstrom,
    Staff Writer

POSTED: 2:16 pm EDT May 14, 2006
    UPDATED: 6:42 pm EDT May 14, 2006

MANCHESTER, N.H. -- Gov. John Lynch declared a state of emergency Sunday as steady rains brought flooding to much of the state and mandatory evacuations were ordered in some areas.

"The rain continues, and I really urge the citizens of New Hampshire to stay home, and if they have to drive, please drive with extreme caution," Lynch said.

Lynch said that hundreds of roads have been damaged or washed away in the state. By Sunday evening, 67 communities had reported road closures.

Mandatory evacuations were ordered in Milton. Officials said that the dam on Milton Pond was in danger of failing, and residents downstream were being evacuated.

Goffstown residents were advised to stay inside to allow emergency traffic use of the roads. About 75 homes on Danis Park Road were being evacuated along the Piscataquog River, which was above flood stage.

Hooksett officials also asked that residents stay off the roads unless they had to be out.

In Loudon, residents in the area of Staniels Road were being evacuated. Allenstown residents on Riverside Park Drive were also being evacuated.

The Hollyberry Nursing Home in Hooksett was evacuating residents. Buses were called in to help transport residents to Southern New Hampshire University, where a shelter has been set up.

In Concord, the Concord Steam Corp. on Pleasant Street was shut down. The building -- which provides heat and hot water to nursing homes, businesses, school and homes -- is experiencing flooding.

Lynch said that one of the biggest immediate concerns was the Merrimack River in Nashua. The river crests at 18 feet, but Lynch said it was expected to reach 28 feet.

Business along the Merrimack River in Manchester were also concerned about rising floodwaters. The river was just about a foot away from the first-floor windows on buildings by Sunday afternoon.

Crews also removed a crane and other heavy equipment from a temporary construction bridge along the Granite Street bridge out of fear that it could collapse. Workers said they were afraid the temporary bridge could sway in the current because it doesn't have enough weight on it.

Other towns declared voluntary evacuations and opened shelters. Wakefield officials were concerned about two dams in the town, and about 100 residents were evacuated to a temporary shelter that was set up at the Wakefield Public Library.

The emergency declaration allows Lynch to activate the National Guard. He said that he was considering how to deploy troops to aid in evacuations and other emergency work. The declaration also makes the state eligible for federal funds.

In Epsom, the dam was beginning to crest, and a temporary shelter was set up at Epsom Central School. Voluntary evacuations were under way along Carriage Hill Road, at Kingstown Mobile Home Park, Circle 9 campground and all homes below the Epsom Dam.

The Nottingham West Mill Pond Dam in Durham was also reportedly close to breaching.

Derry opened an emergency operations center and shelter at the West Running Brook School on South Main Street. Voluntary evacuations were declared for people living along Rockingham Shores and Germantown roads, where emergency personnel no longer had access.

According to report, downtown North Andover was also being evacuated. In Salem, the Good Luck Trailer Park was under a voluntary evacuation, with part of it flooded. Utilities were shut off and will remain off until conditions improve, officials said.

Officials are keeping a close eye on certain dams in the state, including Pillsbury Dam in Webster, the Northwood Dam in Epsom and the Baxter Dam in Rochester.

Despite the warnings, people were still heading out and getting caught in dangerous situations. In Manchester, a boat owner had to be rescued after his boat got caught in the Goffs Falls current.

The man's boat was wedged on shore, and when he pulled on it, the current pulled him and his boat in. The current then pulled the boat and its owner toward a dam, according to officials.

The boat owner jumped out before the boat went over the falls.

All parts of the state were under a flood watch or warning except for Coos County. Most of the rainfall was in the central and southern parts of the state.

The rains began falling steadily Saturday, and more was expected to fall through Sunday and Monday. Another system was approaching Monday evening and Tuesday.
    Arctical,Pictures, and videos at http://www.wmur.com/weather/9213146/detail.html
    ~Jaime~
    You don't recover from a life like this...
    Keene State College class of 2008... Safety Studies
    KSC ASSE

KEENE STATE RUGBY! #8... I Shed Blood for my RUGGERS! www.kscwrfc.org

Forum Member

DRKBLRAM or FIRE304 may have to check my answer here:

If the car is disabled and floating, it has right of way

Otherwise if it's underway on it's own power it yields to sailboats (and both yield to human rowed boats).

Of course, everyone yields to whoever is least manuerverable...so when you see the 5 Ton National Guard truck coming, treat it like an oil tanker and get the frack out of it's way

===============
    In all seriousness, at least the rain is coming over the course of several days.

They're figuring some areas by Monday evening will have surpassed 15" over a three day period.

Over the last several years, I've personnally worked through a very localized 7" in 4 hours rain event (more flashflooding then raising the rivers high); and areas near me got hit hard by a wide area 7" overnight rain event which caused a lot of widespread flooding.

I can't even imagine 15"!!!

Forum Member

i think i bring floods with me or something. I had never seen a flood before, then the floods back in october happened around keene when i was at school in keene. I'm back home now in the lakes region... neighboring town is now an island lol i've never seen the river across the street so high.
    ~Jaime~
    You don't recover from a life like this...
    Keene State College class of 2008... Safety Studies
    KSC ASSE

KEENE STATE RUGBY! #8... I Shed Blood for my RUGGERS! www.kscwrfc.org

Forum Member

Forum Member

Why?

I know, people are stupid...

Forum Member

Ambulances staged for evacuations I assume...

On another note...would you want to buy a beer at the Bunghole? *shivers*

Forum Member

14+ inches of rain and still coming down.Our airboat along with the Game wardens are on standby for the lower end of the State.People kayaking to work or just staying home if they still have one.Oh well the lakes were a little low anyway,T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Have you heard that there are thousands of people from MA and NH stranded on highway overpasses? How about stranded on their roofs? How about they could not evacaute because they did not have transportation?

No. Neither have I.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow. Good luck to you guys out there...

It almost seems like a slow-unfolding hurricane type of damage. I bet the swiftwater teams are quite busy right now.

Forum Member

No, it's not a hurricane.

It's an area that experienced severe floods in the past -- 1936 and 1938 especially.

Since then, you've seen things like major highway bridges that have been built higher; downtowns of the major cities like Lowell with improved protections like high levees and/or channel straightening.

Dam failures that excerbated flooding in '36, '38, and '55 in New England have largely either washed out, taken out....or are now monitored regularly enough that the trouble ones are usually fixed well before there is an issue. The Dam they've been most concerned about they where concerned about since it was in the middle of construction work to reinforce it.

We certainly have more "pavement" today in the river valleys to increase the flow into the rivers, but at the same time there's half a dozen or so Army Corps flood control dams up in the foothills of the White Mountains -- although the worst of the rain fell downstream of them, they're still holding back a good amount of water, maybe 10 or 20% of the flow.

Most importantly, we had plenty of warning -- Thursday night the 11 o'clock news was talking of 4-6" raining in that belt. Friday morning I bought a new hose for my sump pump

While it's pretty impressive where they are having flooding, for all that is going on, it hasn't taxed the capabilities of Massachusetts to respond, or I suspect NH or ME either.

I did drive through the area on a tourist expedetion yesterday since I couldn't resist and a seldom in a lifetime view of what was going on! Funny thing is...on the way up there, I passed highway construction projects going on as scheduled with State Troopers working overtime on these scheduled things. Today I was on another errand, and saw Mass Highway out patching potholes.

Yes, definitely needed to evacuate people. Yes, as the pics above show, it pulled out some dumbasses as is normal. Yep, I'm sure the mayors and firefighters and everyone else up there has been busy handling the needs of hundreds and probably into the low thousands of "displaced persons".

Had nothing been done after '36 and '38 up there, had we not improved forecasting, had we not built better flood control structures, if we weren't as better organized as we where seventy years ago...yep, this could've been much more significant.

Forum Member

I bet the swiftwater teams are quite busy right now.

None that I've heard of...really don't see those situations too often in Southern New England. My experience has been either the rivers aren't too swift...or they're swift enough it's a body recovery from the get go.

Realize too, many of these towns mentioned are old mill towns built around hydro power from the rivers -- the rivers are heavily dammed. If you're in "swift" water, you'll soon be in a mill pond. Or you'll be dead stuck in the hydraulic of a low-head dam. Or sucked down a canal and stuck under the old powerhouse of some mill.

Although the Coast Guard had to make a pickup of people stuck on a floating dock -- they where out observing the river, another dock broke free striking theirs, breaking it free.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info.

I grew up in Southern Vermont, near the Battenkill River, but it's been a while.

On the upside-- if there are still hydro plants operating, the power production to the grid has to be pretty impressive!

Here's to hoping the rains let up... Going to make for one hell of a mosquito season!

Forum Member

George,Most of us up here either have boats(canoes,kayaks,etc)or know when to leave and where to go when so instructed.And in most cases,you don't have to relocate very far to be in a "safe" haven.And I'll bet you with the exception of a few bridges it will be pretty much business as usual within a couple weeks.Actually we have tourists coming in a couple so it will HAVE to get done.Most of the damage in Maine is in the southern coastal areas(York,Berwicks,Lebanon),we were basically untouched in the Central,Southwestern mountain and Northern regions.The monsoon is supposed to ease tonight into tomorrow so as the water begins to recede it will be easier to get a handle on the damage.The two dams they were worried about have been reinforced,obstructions removed and are,at present,holding their own.Road crews will be busy for quite a while however. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    George,Most of us up here either have boats(canoes,kayaks,etc)or know when to leave and where to go when so instructed.And in most cases,you don't have to relocate very far to be in a "safe" haven.And I'll bet you with the exception of a few bridges it will be pretty much business as usual within a couple weeks.Actually we have tourists coming in a couple so it will HAVE to get done.Most of the damage in Maine is in the southern coastal areas(York,Berwicks,Lebanon),we were basically untouched in the Central,Southwestern mountain and Northern regions.The monsoon is supposed to ease tonight into tomorrow so as the water begins to recede it will be easier to get a handle on the damage.The two dams they were worried about have been reinforced,obstructions removed and are,at present,holding their own.Road crews will be busy for quite a while however. T.C.
    Let me get this straight...

You were prepared and paid attention to the situation as it developed.

You did what you were told.

You did not rely on the federal government for anything.

Wow. What a concept.

Forum Member

Engage brain...

People have "sack races" at field days for fun...because you get to see people fall over...

AT WHAT POINT DOES CONFINING YOUR LEGS IN A PLASTIC BAG SEEM LIKE A GOOD IDEA TO CROSS A FLOODED ROAD?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    We got Whacked here pretty good, lots of road damage but no collapsed bridges or ruined dams. We had one section of town that was totaly surounded by water, the folks in the low hosues stayed with neighbors in higher houses. Sunday we loaded our boat with food and supplies, they all worked together to make sure everyone got what they needed. There was a little panic about the Dams up river but everything turned out ok. A few wet basements and a couple of flooded hosues. One nit wit stranded on the roof of his car at 3AM because he thought the baracades weren't for HIM.

George- Funny how up here in the rural area's the neighborhoods take care of themselves. No need for Uncle Sam, nobody on their roofs or overpasses. And nobody blaming GW for the whole thing... Kinda refreshing!

-Nick

Forum Member

George,I kinda knew where you were headed.Oh,the Feds are here doing the surveys but we gotta get busy,tourist season starts 5/26.And it's a VERY important 10-12 weeks.There's NO WAY that a couple of the badly damaged bridges will get fixed quick but the rest of the problems can be resolved with the proper influx of money.A couple scenic routes might be a bit more scenic and a little longer(no bridge).Sun's out today so that will help a little. T.C.

Forum Member

Sun's out today

LOL...I was up till 2:30 am working on some business proposals...

7:30 this morning the alarm went off...by first thought is "Hey the sun is out!" My second thought was "And it's hurting my eyes!!!"

MamaLieut's swift water comment did get me thinking -- you definitely see more "whitewater" or at least swift water situations as you get into the Litchfield Hills of Connecticut up north through the Berkshires and into the Vermont...it's kind of neat how great the topography really changes over just a few miles sometimes.

Forum Member

Some nice swiftwater now in the Berkshires...Usually not too bad. I'd love to see what the (old) kayaaking course is like in Falls VIllage now.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Thread Information