Forum Member

Default South Florida to N.C.

Can anyone help me locate departments that fall into the following in N.C. - Over or at 35-40k to start, Fast advancing, High moral within the department. I am a 4yr FF/paramedic paid in south florida looking to move to North Carolina.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a department in NC that starts out near $35,000. I know with a 4yr degree in Charlotte, an entry level FF makes $34,672, but you'll have to attend their academy first. Most departments here are only FF/EMT-B or EMT-Intermediate and only provide basic first responder service. The only department that I know of that provides ALS at the paramedic level is Greenville. You might also want to contact OSFM to see if your certifications will transfer. Kim Williams is who you want to talk to and her # is 919-661-5880x321. As far as good progressive departments, most of the larger departments are good to work for. Charlotte, Greensboro, Raleigh, Winston-Salem. Not very sure about any of the smaller departments. Good Luck with moving.

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at charlotte and greensboro, so far I am sold on charlotte, I am just waiting for some info through there website. I am wondering how is the cost of living. Are you able to live in NC working as a ff only or do most you have 2nd or even 3rd jobs which I can tell is the norm for south florida. Again thanks for the reply

Forum Member

Just to let you know greensboro starts you out at about 32000. I have been there for going on 5 years, and have loved every minute of it. The word on the street at work is that we will be hiring 2 classses a year for the next two years. We are growing like you would never belive. They are actually getting ready to begin interviews. Good luck with finding a place.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info GFDmatt.

Forum Member

Also, High Point fire is a good department. I have a uncle that works there. I have heard that it is a little easier to get on there, and i think the reason is that most people go to Greensboro and Charlotte to try and get on.

MembersZone Subscriber

Try Atlantic Beach Fire- Chief Adam Snyder 252 726-7361
    Great department, Ocean Rescue, Technical Rescue, etc. All career staff ALS dept.
    "If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the Gods to honour the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"
    Smokey
    Local 4124

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks. Will do.

Forum Member

Can't go wrong with Charlotte FD. The good thing about the cost of living is that you do not need to live in Charlotte (or Mecklenburg County) to work with Charlotte FD. In fact, I know several guys that live in South Carolina because it is cheaper down there. Only working about 10 twenty-four shifts a month, most guys have a second job just to keep them occupied on those 20 other days. Also, the written test is usually given during the first of the year. This year it was in March. Typically there is only one written test each year, and the entire process takes about 1 year to fully complete; meaning those that took the test this March (2006) will only enter the academy beginning in 2007. Obviously Charlotte is very, very competitive, like most any big city department is these days. On average 1500+ take the written test and that is cut down to about 20-40 who actually make it to the academy, depending on how many classes they have.

Have you checked out these CFD related sites?
    Link to additional Charlotte Fire sites
    Also, the 8 House's website. They have a lot of good info.

Hope this helps some, good luck!
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Forum Member

Great stuff, thanks for the sites, still leaning towards charlotte

Forum Member

Default NC stations

I'll re-post a reply i put in another thread for someone looking to re-locate to NC. something you might be interested in. We do all aspects of technical rescue and are one of only 3 service/ rescue trucks. we also run about 1100 calls a year out of one station so you get a good amount without running into the ground.

I have two things you should think about. First is federal service if you are under 37. (That is the cut off age for new FF). Starting pay is about $53,000 with full federal benefits. Second is the station I volunteer with. I know people hear volunteer and cringe but it is actually a combination Dept that runs 4 engines, a state certified heave rescue and one of 3 service trucks for the entire county. That is all out of one station. We have a sub station that runs one engine also. The pay is about $30,000 which is at least $5000 more than any other station in the area to include the big cities nearby. It is a county station in Cumberland County just west of the city of Fayetteville. The Army base Ft. Bragg is about 20 minutes away. In addition to the Equipment we have a 4 story drill tower, a brand new Gym, New gear and everything is in fantastic shape. The paid guys that work there really do a great job keeping everything looking and working just like new. The web site is www.stoneypointfire.com not all the links on the page are working yet but it is about 50% finished. We are switching from day paid staff to 24 hours paid staff so we will be hiring 4 or 5 people in the next few months. There are also about 85 volunteers so short staffing isn't really ever an issue. If you have any questions Iíll put my e-mail below. Good luck on your search.
    Mike
    MEApplegate@aol.com

Thread Information