Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Exclamation "Removing FEMA from Homeland Security

"Removing FEMA from the Homeland Security Department would not be the right answer. The existence of two federal agencies -- one for terrorism and one for natural disasters -- would only exacerbate coordination problems, result in redundant activities and programs, and undermine our efforts to create a truly "all-hazards" approach to emergency management."

This quote is from today's (Monday, May 15, 2006) Op-Ed section of the Washington Post Page A16, written by DAVE REICHERT (U.S. Representative, R-Wash.).

In addition to what Mr. Reichert says above, I add that, although the personnel involved with FEMA and DHS are constantly challenged by an ever-evolving state of disasters, there is a need for organizational and operational consistencey. FEMA and DHS have been evolving since the spring of 2002. Four plus years of organizational and operational change has had an impact on response and communication.

What has been the experience of responders in the field?

Has this organizational flux made an impact on the local operations?

Read the full article at:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...051400819.html

Forum Member

I checked the link for the article, just finished reading it..indeed interestin it is..

Forum Member

Default questionable

Although I do agree with the idea that redundancy may cause a problem I ask you, compare pre-DHS and post-DHS response to disasters by FEMA...I question whether the aquisition of FEMA by DHS came too soon, that FEMA was thrown in there with no say on what happens...what should have happened is let DHS get its feet wet and get established before FEMA was absorbed. Now several thousand people are suffering from post-DHS FEMA blunders...of course I could be off base on this, if I am just let me know...
    This we do so others may live

Forum Member

DHS and FEMA, DHS looks for terrorists, FEMA deals with disasters, hmm sounds like PD and Fire to me, and we all know what a mess putting those agencies together usually is.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ElChup175
    of course I could be off base on this, if I am just let me know...
    trust me, we'll make sure of that

Quote Originally Posted by ElChup175
    Although I do agree with the idea that redundancy may cause a problem I ask you, compare pre-DHS and post-DHS response to disasters by FEMA...I question whether the aquisition of FEMA by DHS came too soon, that FEMA was thrown in there with no say on what happens...what should have happened is let DHS get its feet wet and get established before FEMA was absorbed. Now several thousand people are suffering from post-DHS FEMA blunders...
    i feel the same way...... FEMA was doing it's job when suddenly it had a new "boss" and a new way of doing things. DHS should have had time to get headed in the right direction before they acquired an agency as large as FEMA.
    the motto of every midnight shift dispatcher - "I'm up - You're up"

Forum Member

I can always rely on you to keep me on my toes dave...anyways, yeah, two different things, yes resources for each may be similar, but with a disaster of natural causes you have to treat it differently than an act of terrorism...the logistical parts are the same, the boots on the ground though need to be different. As been said DHS should have waited...but then again the gov't is trying to make it look like they are saving money and streamlining things, whats next, NWS dissapearing..?

BTW, its been two years since I got my IS 700/800 when will we see that system come to life?
    This we do so others may live

Thread Information