Forum Member

Thumbs up Akron, Ohio Firefighter 240 course availability!!!

Why not get your 240 this summer!
    I'm signed up for a Firefighter 240 class at the University of Akron scheduled to start June 2nd but there are only 3 or 4 people scheduled and they need 10 to have the class. The cost is $1600 I believe and the classes are in the evenings except for on Saturday. I really want to have a chance to get this training so help a brother out and fill up the rest of these 10 spots!
    Feel free to contact me if you want contact info for them. millerdiebold@hotmail.com

Jason

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down I Won't Be There............

THIS IS THE MOST IRRESPONSIBLE THING I'VE EVER HEARD. $1,600.00 for a Firefighting Course?? I would never ever pay anything for Firefighting Training. Why on earth Don't you folks have your State Lawmakers step up to the plate and create a State Fire Training Agency and fund it properly so all Firefighters in the State can have equal access to FREE Training.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Default What else am I to do???

There's not a place in the state of Ohio with free fire training. I need this so I can sit for tests at departments that require it to apply. So I guess I just have to bite the bullet and pay the money but I can't find a place with evening classes around here until September other than this class.

Jason

MembersZone Subscriber

THIS IS THE MOST IRRESPONSIBLE THING I'VE EVER HEARD. $1,600.00 for a Firefighting Course?? I would never ever pay anything for Firefighting Training. Why on earth Don't you folks have your State Lawmakers step up to the plate and create a State Fire Training Agency and fund it properly so all Firefighters in the State can have equal access to FREE Training.

Hwood,

Take it down a notch, alright. This, is the most irresponsible thing you've ever heard?

Just like Ohio, academies in Illinois put a price tag on training. Cadets must have a sponsoring department and provide their own PPE. I believe most FF academies range from $1200-$2000. If the cadet is full time, the department usually pays for it. There are some departments that hold "in house" academies for POC/volunteer personnel. However, if the person wants to attend a larger academy...they usually pay for it themselves.

It's fantastic that the state of MD is willing to provide FF training for free. But you're saying that ANYONE can show up and say, "I want 240 hrs of FF training, for free"? If this is the case, I'd say MD is the exception, not the rule.

How about it...Are there any other states that provide FF training (240 hours) completely free?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    Soooo let me get this straight... I do not have access to a training academy that is free. I forked out the money to pay MY own way through my 240 class and MY own way through my EMT-B class paying for both the classes and the rental fee for my turnout gear and scba so that I could make a turnaround in my life which I feel is the best thing I have ever done in my entire 21 years of living. So for instance, a guy like me who wants it SOOO bad that I would do anything to work for the money to put myself through the training for a career where i can actually take myself somewhere in my life and I am freaking IRRESPONSIBLE?!?!? Yet any yahoo off the street can wake up and say I think I would like to be a fireman today and have the opportunity handed to him? Thanks but I would rather earn my way.

Forum Member

Sorry bro, can't help you out (already have my 240 and not looking to do it again). Have you looked into Stark State's Fire Academy? From what I understand, it is much easier on the wallet. In fact, our department stopped sending people to Akron because of the cost. I would imagine that's why there aren't very many signed up. Anyway, good luck!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile OK, A Little Clarification.............

Two BIG items.

1. When I use the term "irresponsible" I'm referring to the actions, or lack thereof, of Politicians who fail to provide ADEQUATE FUNDING for Emergency Service Training. I am absolutely not saying that an individual is irresponsible for paying for training. If anyone took my remarks to mean this, my apoligies.

2. Just "anyone" Can not take a training course in Maryland. Here, You have to be a Member in good standing to take ANY training. We REQUIRE that a person go thru his/her department's background check and physical process prior to attending training But the bottom line is that you must be a Member of a FD or VFD, not just someone who might want to be. Again, "want to be" is not meant to offend those who are serious about being a Firefighter, but there are those who take any kind of course at College just because Mom and Dad are paying for it. I had phone call from a young lady about a month ago who wanted to take a EMT-B Course. I started explaining the Membership thing and she stated that she had no interest in being involved in any Emergency Service organization, she just wanted to take the course for her own knowledge. I told her "Sorry, not in Maryland". We feel that every effort should be made to provide the absolute best training available to our Members, at no cost whatsoever to anyone except the taxpayers of the state. We also feel that if you are not already a Member of an Emergency Service Organization, you have no need for our training. The State of Maryland requires, by law, that you belong to a "service providing organization" to hold an EMT Card.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic515
    Have you looked into Stark State's Fire Academy? From what I understand, it is much easier on the wallet.

Here is the link to the Ohio State Fire Academy..... http://www.com.state.oh.us/SFM/fmac/default.aspx

Here is the link to the Ohio State Fire School that is put on by Bowling Green State University each spring and fall....... www.fireschool.org
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Virginia, and Fairfax Co are very similar to MD. I am not 100% sure about all of VA, but FX Co is for sure, all paid by the Dept. There is a recruit school about to graduate in 2 weeks and they were "on the payroll" since day one. For us volley types, training is all paid by the county. However GVW offers a civilian EMTB course that is accredited to state standards. A person may pay for and take this course and then later apply to a fire dept and after a specific period of time, the expense will be credited back to the member. Same rules apply for becoming a paramedic. If you want to pay the money of course.

I think this system is great. Back in British Columbia, if you want to go career, most times you need a great deal of self paid courses, which offer no guarantee of employment at the end. The volunteer side pay for necessary training, but if there is something above what the station can provide in-house or "through the budget", its on your bill. Depending on the course and the cost, reimbursement might be made. The Justice Institute of British Columbia offers some really great courses, but the $$ that goes with it makes it almost prohibitive. But since they are the only "game in town", meaning that if you were to take a course from another source, chances are it wont be recognized and therefore not accredited. Still trying to find out what hoops I will have to jump through to get reciprocity for my EMT training here, for when I go home again. I am anticipating a "Gee that's great Mr Hills, however, here is the study package and course outline for the next available session. Have a great day. Oh... and that will be $XXX.XX, please."

To answer the original post, unfortunately Akron is just a wee bit too far away for a general commute. I dont think the Embassy would let me go for that long.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 05-17-2006 at 09:59 AM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

The Ohio State Fire Academy in Reynoldsburg (sp?) has cancelled a bunch of their classes over the next year due to several reasons. Im sure it didnt help that they were on the news for changing the students grades in the EMTclasses so that they could take the NREMT test too. :/

Disillusioned Subscriber

I think the 240 classes have been reinstated at the OFA. I just registered one of our new guys for the class that starts Monday.

As for the cost of the courses, the employer pays for the courses if you don't have it when you are hired. In that case, the state will reimburse up to $800 to the employer.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Thread Information