Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cpat Help!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cpat Help!

ok im 22yo and i have a written test on june 8th and need my cpat before i take it. i just recently graduated a fire academy which required a agility test to be accepted . the test consisted of a 50ft ladder climb, timed sledge/vent prop. and then a consecutivley time portion which included a dummy drag, 150ft 2 1/2 hose pull, 50lb hose carry up 3 stories, 50lb hose hoist 3 stories, 50lb hose carry back down, and smoke ejector you had 5:54 to complete this part the rest was untimed but you only had one try to do them , 2min rest, roof ladder removal and replacement, 2min rest, 35 extension ladder hoist.. i passed that test twice acutally with time of 3:50 and 4:30. ive been hitting the gym about 4 days a week at least . i think my cardio is pretty good because ran track and long distance in high school and my first year of college. do you think i will have alot of trouble. ive been doing the stairclimber at the gym for about 20 min each day as well. any tips or comment will help me a lot
    thanks-adam

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I havent done it yet, but watched. The stairclimber is the KILLER of all recruits and CPAT attendees. I asked about that the other day, and besides the fact that the 75lb weight vest you're wearing (in Fairfax Co anyhow) makes you top heavy because its on the shoulders, the 60 paces a minute is the KILLER. So I've been told. I was going to do the training session for it later this week, but I have an opportunity to ride with the career staff on the Medic instead. And since I need the ride time more.....

In any case GOOD LUCK and best wishes on completion!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Dubluv,
    Posting this in the newbies section might be more beneficial for you as more of the guys there are currently or recently going through this as well.
    My .02 regarding the stairs would be to get out of the gym and off the stair climber. Go out and through on a backpack with weightplates in it and go climb stairs or bleachers at your local jc or high school. Because the stairclimber is simulated and fluid in its motion it is not going to give you the same benefit as real stairs do. The stairmasters, etc are great for cardio, but it sounds like you've got that down and need to focus now on the techniques of climbing, (breathing, pacing, etc.) Good luck to you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RESERVEFORNOW
    Dubluv,
    Posting this in the newbies section might be more beneficial for you as more of the guys there are currently or recently going through this as well.
    My .02 regarding the stairs would be to get out of the gym and off the stair climber. Go out and through on a backpack with weightplates in it and go climb stairs or bleachers at your local jc or high school. Because the stairclimber is simulated and fluid in its motion it is not going to give you the same benefit as real stairs do. The stairmasters, etc are great for cardio, but it sounds like you've got that down and need to focus now on the techniques of climbing, (breathing, pacing, etc.) Good luck to you.
    I'm going to disagree with this, for one if you climb stairs or bleachers half the time your working down and that doesn't help with the C-PAT. Second, being fluid in the motion of the stairs is the most important part. Getting the pace to doing the stairs is the key. Always do you stairs at the pace of the C-PAT. Start with the 75 lbs and do it for 3 minutes increase all the way up to 5 minutes, when this is accomplished add 25 lbs and go for 3 again until you max at 125 lbs and just increase time. It's like running with ankle weights because once you do the C_PAT the 75lbs feels like a pack of feathers. Well maybe not feathers! Good Luck!

Towards the end my workouts were

125 lbs for 5minutes
    rest 10

125 lbs 5 minutes
    rest 10

125lbs for 3min
    and then right to circuit training workouts with no rest
    Bench (high rep low weight)
    Triceps- Rope Pulldowns

Forum Member

Default Cpat

I recently took and passed the c-pat at the overland park training center and can honestly say that while it does suck, I was in now way/shape/ or form prepared and still passed. The key is to just think of something during the stairs that takes your mind off of it. If you feel like you cannot finish remember there is no rule regarding using your hands to push down on your knees for support. < saw this used a lot... Also remember that the thing that will kill you is the maze with the vest on, May not think it will but if you get that done quick you aregood.

Forum Member

If you can pass the physical you listed at the academy, the CPAT will be a breeze.
    It's WAAAAY easier than what you listed.
    The CPAT is a joke.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KCFireguy
    ...if you climb stairs or bleachers half the time your working down and that doesn't help with the C-PAT.
    KCFireGuy has some good ideas about the training for you DubLuv, but what I was suggesting in my post was crosstraining in a way that would still be beneficial to the test. To say that running steps or bleachers would NOT help you is probably not the most well thought our advise.

Quote Originally Posted by KCFireguy
    Start with the 75 lbs and do it for 3 minutes increase all the way up to 5 minutes, when this is accomplished add 25 lbs and go for 3 again until you max at 125 lbs and just increase time.
    I also understand this mentality of training sets in a pyramid. The only caution here is that you are WAY over training your muscles by doing this. THe CPAT only requires 25 pounds (2-12 1/2 pounds on each shoulder) http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/...ment/CPAT1.htm
    Using 75-125 pounds is far beyond anything you need for these purposes.

Again, no disrespect to KCFireGuy, this is only my .02. Good luck to you DubLuv
    Last edited by RESERVEFORNOW; 05-18-2006 at 08:20 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RESERVEFORNOW
    I also understand this mentality of training sets in a pyramid. The only caution here is that you are WAY over training your muscles by doing this. THe CPAT only requires 25 pounds (2-12 1/2 pounds on each shoulder) http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/...ment/CPAT1.htm
    Using 75-125 pounds is far beyond anything you need for these purposes.
    Yea, Why shoot for being the best when you can shoot for the minimum qualifications!

CPAT requires a 50 lbs vest plus 25 lbs for simulated hose pack. (which in reality isn't representative of the more realistic 90-130 lbs tool and gear weight) This is a total of 75 lbs.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

UPDATE!! took my cpat today and passed. honostly im a tall skinny guy (6'1" 170+/-) and i passed it no problem i could have gone alot harder too.. this test is all about endurance not strength... just work on cardio and supplement it with weights and you should be fine. thanks for everyones help

Forum Member

the cpat is a joke, several of our guys do 20-30 minutes on the stair machine on a daily basis......

When Bou can pass the CPAT with the flu, its gotta be easy. No joke. Keep hitting the gym though.

-Bou and Mini-Me

Thread Information