Forum Member

Default army firefighters ?

anybody here an army firefighter ?
    i was looking into the reserve and saw that you can be a firefighter in there.
    anybody with any insight ?
    should i go this way or go active duty with the air force or army rather than reserve ?

Forum Member

Check other threads, but from what I understand the Air Force is the way to go for DoD Firefighting.

Forum Member

Send me an email and Ill give you my opinion. I was Active AF and now work for the Army as a civilian. Are you currently on a paid department.

Forum Member

youll have to drop me a message because it wont let me send anything to you.
    im only a cadet on my department .. im 16 .. but im lookin to get on a paid department later on down the road .. and the military seems like a good way to go for all the training.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, you can join the USAR as a firefighter. I would probably not go active duty Army as a 21M unless things change. For 23 years, I thoroughly enjoyed the hell out of the Army Reserve. Although our equipment and living conditions (in the field anyway) was not to the same standard as the AF, I liked the fact that if I was in a situation where it was required, I could shoot back. I liked going to a bombed out old airfield that was nothing - and build it back up. I did alot of things as an Army firefighter that the AF did not - they were not allowed off the base at the time (Iraq). We did not get the training opportunities like the AF, and promotions will pretty much stop at an E-6. If you're lucky, you might see E-7 if you stay in long enough.

That said, if I knew 23 years ago what I know now, I would have went to the Air Force. I would still be in the Air Force, and probably be a damn master sergeant by now. I hear rumors that the Army is trying to change things for the better for the 21M MOS, and I hope they do. If you want to be a soldier AND a firefighter (notice the order I put those in???) then the Army or even the USMC is for you. If you want to primarily be a firefighter, go AF.

SUGGESTION - if you have an Air National Guard base nearby and an interest in joining thier fire protection, go talk to the fire chief BEFORE you talk to the recruiter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiredoldman
    Yes, you can join the USAR as a firefighter. I would probably not go active duty Army as a 21M unless things change. For 23 years, I thoroughly enjoyed the hell out of the Army Reserve. Although our equipment and living conditions (in the field anyway) was not to the same standard as the AF, I liked the fact that if I was in a situation where it was required, I could shoot back. I liked going to a bombed out old airfield that was nothing - and build it back up. I did alot of things as an Army firefighter that the AF did not - they were not allowed off the base at the time (Iraq). We did not get the training opportunities like the AF, and promotions will pretty much stop at an E-6. If you're lucky, you might see E-7 if you stay in long enough.

That said, if I knew 23 years ago what I know now, I would have went to the Air Force. I would still be in the Air Force, and probably be a damn master sergeant by now. I hear rumors that the Army is trying to change things for the better for the 21M MOS, and I hope they do. If you want to be a soldier AND a firefighter (notice the order I put those in???) then the Army or even the USMC is for you. If you want to primarily be a firefighter, go AF.

SUGGESTION - if you have an Air National Guard base nearby and an interest in joining thier fire protection, go talk to the fire chief BEFORE you talk to the recruiter.
    Big bump on that. If they dont have use for your MOS, you become a soldier. If you go army for firefighting, you will be doing odd jobs.

I recently joined the army reserve (leave for basic next week). Talking to my recruiter, i looked into the firefighting MOS. There were openings in a unit just south of me. However, i decided against it, and went with an MOS in computers. I did this for a multitude of reasons. First, they are phasing out the firefighters in the army. They are going to private contractors. So i figured in a few years, i wouldnt have a job anymore with the army. Second, the training you recieve for your 21M MOS is equal to FF1, FF2, HazMat Ops, and ARFF training. Since i have all of those except ARFF, i figured it wouldnt be very beneficial to me. Besides, i still get the basic army training, and thats the biggest draw, the level of discipline you get from the armed forces.

Long story short, if you want a FF job in the armed forces, go with the air force, or maybe even the navy. Friend of mine says he knows a guy in the navy working on a ship at pearl harbor as a FF.

MembersZone Subscriber

The Army is not phasing out military firefighters. If your recruiter told you this, he is mistaken. They are being re-organized into small deployable units that can mobilize and leave quickly. Actually, new units are being stood up and staffed as I write this.

Stay away from the Navy for fire protection.
    Last edited by Tiredoldman; 05-17-2006 at 02:59 PM.

Forum Member

Default 21M still around

My husband is currently at Goodfellow training as a Firefighter for the army. He will be stationed at Ft. Rucker. The Army is not getting rid of FF but are being reorganized as was stated above. They have tacticle units that deploy and garrison command that does not. There is a reserve firefighter on here that is working to get Army ff all the same credits as the AF recives for their classes at Goodfellow. FF is very much still a reality but it is true that you are a soldier first and fire fighter second. Im excited to see what this first duty station has in store!
    Kristina

MembersZone Subscriber

Tiredoldman is correct is stating that the Army is not doing away with firefighters. From what I can gather, through my many sources, the Army is wanting to leave firefighting to the Reserves and Army National Guard. This is the reason that the Army is beginning to stand up more units (Guard and Reserve) and make units smaller and rapidly deployable.

Forum Member

I been talking to a recruiter and he also told me they are doing away with Army Firefighters and there going to civilian firefighters.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

I would have to say that is correct if you were talking with an active duty army recruiter. From what I understand the active component is slowly turning all fire protection duties over to the guard, reserve, air force(all three components) and even to civilians.

Forum Member

Default getting rid of army ff

Quote Originally Posted by angfireman
    I would have to say that is correct if you were talking with an active duty army recruiter. From what I understand the active component is slowly turning all fire protection duties over to the guard, reserve, air force(all three components) and even to civilians.
    Far as I can tell the Army is not getting rid of ff. I just re-enlisted to to be a ff. I went from being a fueler witch is very needed MOS to a firefighter witch is a little less needed. So I would say no the army is not getting rid of ff. You can not deploy civilan ff to a new location for fire protection. Just like OIF1 they Army and Air Force there when the war kicked off.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was a Air Force fire fighter and I would say go active duty Air Force if you want to be a DOD fire fighter. I grew up a army brat and I have worked for the army, but the army doesn't really have a need for fire fighters. They contract out most of there work for that career field. I would say if you went Air Force you would get a lot more opportunities for upgrade training that would set you up for a civilian job. I know a couple of fireman that have gone into the army and they say they will train you to be a fireman. That was true, but once they completed there training they reclassified them into another career field, so they didn't do firefighting at all in the Army. You will most likely become a grunt. Nothing wrong with that at all though. Just my personal opinion and what I've seen.

Forum Member

would i be able to get my paramedic certification while enlisted as a ff in the air force ?

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LSFD413
    would i be able to get my paramedic certification while enlisted as a ff in the air force ?
    ...if you did, it would be on your own time. the air force does not have a paramedic or emt-i certification currently. many bases have implemented thier own emt-b certification program through the national registry, but in order to get i & p, you would have to attend classes on your off time probably at a local college or school.

Forum Member

Cool Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiredoldman
    The Army is not phasing out military firefighters. If your recruiter told you this, he is mistaken. They are being re-organized into small deployable units that can mobilize and leave quickly. Actually, new units are being stood up and staffed as I write this.

Stay away from the Navy for fire protection.
    Yep, I knew my husband's unit was up to something when they did just that plus got a new fire truck with air conditioning. They basically chose their fire "team" and then gave the other soldiers the option of finding another unit, changing their MOS, going full time AD, etc and if they hadn't done anything by a certain date they were just going to be farmed out and used by the military as needed. Oh well, that's the way it goes I guess!

Forum Member

My Army reserve FF unit in Houston is way short on people, plus they are creating two or three new units in the area for firefighters. So, if any one lives in the area.

How bad is it when you have to plug your unit to get guys?.lol

Default ARFF army

[QUOTE=LSFD413;680977]anybody here an army firefighter ?
    i was looking into the reserve and saw that you can be a firefighter in there.
    anybody with any insight ?
    should i go this way or go active duty with the air force or army rather than reserve ?[/QUOTE

I'm a LCpl in the Marine Corps and am currently in the ARFF mos, the army and the airforce do both structure and aircraft you will recieve FF1 and 2 certs Hazmat and ARRF certs. Its not a bad field to be in and if you go reserve you can get onto either an airport or structural fire dept. and still be in the reserves. It just depends on how long you want to be in the military for.

Forum Member

I am a 21m and its going to be great. Stationed out of Yakima, WA. Still able to keep my civillian ff job and the army ff job.

Default whats going on with 21M?!

Hello all. I've been reading everybody's input as to the utilization of FireFighters in the U.S. Army and Army Reserves. I to am interested in serving my country as a F.F. in the Reserves. I'm on a volunteer dept. locally and am working on my Medic. I'm interested in the scuddlebut as to the talk of doing away with the 21M. (or at least as it was once used.)
    Does anyone know what the firefighter in service would be doing now? (job description) I went on line and researched info from www.goarmy.com and form www.military.com and all the intel stated on both sites are either outdated, or dare I say, misleading due to the fact that there is no word of the 21m being reformatted for such changes that would include rapid deployment.
    I have been talking with a recruiter about Reserves vs. A.D. and he said the same thing that I've read other people have hurd from recruithers. "The Army is fasing out the 21M". So what's the deal? what's going on with this MOS? Why does it seem to be so difficult to just get info on being a F.F. in the Army?! I'm not asking about into Intel for crying out loud!
    If there's anyone with detailed info (or anything more than what's already on here,) please send it my way. my email is kcarnie@cccb.edu thanks.
    God Bless.

Default Me too

Hey My names PFC Cornwell im in block 2 at goodfellow and as soon as i finish my training here ill be stationed in yakama as well. Are you there now? Still training? If you are back how is it? Have you tried getting into a department yet?

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy66pny View Post
    I am a 21m and its going to be great. Stationed out of Yakima, WA. Still able to keep my civillian ff job and the army ff job.

Forum Member

OK. I can read no more. I served 9 years on active duty as a firefighter in the Army. I am currently in the National Guard as a firefighter. I am the NCOIC of a firefighting HQ unit and I have had no other MOS. I will retire with 21 years of service next year. Here are the straight answers:

1. You can join the Army Reserve or Guard as a firefighter, provided the units are not full.

2. They are not restructuring or phasing out the MOS. The TOE (Table of Organization and Equipment) was simply changed to reflect the new firetrucks (TFFTs) and add one soldier to a truck team. A truck team has 7 soldiers; a HQ team has 4. There are less than 100 firefighting teams throughout the active duty and reserve. Do the math.....it is a VERY small MOS. This is also why most recruiters are not very familiar with the MOS.

3. The vast majority of 21Ms (firefighter) are in the Guard and Reserve. Guard and Reserve have about 40 teams. Active duty currently has about 12 teams and many ordnance firefighters, which are firefighters assigned to ammunition handling units. (That is not a fun assignment.)

4. Almost every state in the union, including Puerto Rico, has a firefighting unit. Some are only 1 truck team while other states have multiple teams and a HQ unit. Thus, it is difficult to say what is available to you, depending on your state.

5. The rank goes to E7 but only in HQ units (there are only about 15 HQ units in the entire Army, 14 in Guard and Reserve and 1 active duty.) There is one E8 21M in the entire Army, but he is in charge of the Army school instructors at Goodfellow AFB.

6. ALL branches go to the Louis Garland firefighting school at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo, TX. ALL soldiers, marines, airmen, and sailors receive the same training and certifications from the school. The certifications are national through DoD and IFSAC.

7. And finally.....the Air Force is the proponent agency for DoD firefighting. They do the most as far as actually working as a firefighter and being able to progress in the field. That said, I'm not sure I could look myself in the mirror if I had joined the Air Force.

P.S. The Army also has divers and tugboat operators. We all are considered "unicorn" MOS. Some people have heard of them, but very very few have ever seen one. Good luck.
    "Life is tough, but it's even tougher when you're stupid."
    John Wayne

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by USArmyFF1 View Post
    I'm not sure I could look myself in the mirror if I had joined the Air Force.

If you had been an Air Force guy, you would have noticed that you're replying to thread that's been dormant for over a year.

Forum Member

hahahaha so true

Thread Information