MembersZone Subscriber

Default K12 Style Saw for RIT

I've searched, and found some good info on people's experiences with cut-off style saws, but I'm looking for a specific RIT application and what people have found.

A little background - we're lucky enough to have progressive leadership such that we're one of a few area departments that has been validated for RIT per our county-wide standards. We're now called as a RIT company to quite a few local departments on mutual aid, and we initially had set up one specific rig as the "out of district" RIT rig. Due to some staffing challenges, we have another rig that is going on RIT runs just as much (from another station), and the only equipment missing is a K12 style saw.

I'd love feedback on how you would set up a saw for specifically RIT ops, what saw you'd prefer, blade size, etc. Personally, I'm leaning towards a metal cutting blade/abrasive disc, as we already carry a carbide equipped chain saw which will make short work of wood products. My intent is that the K12 type saw could be a forcible entry tool, cut burglar bars, etc. I'd have no problem carrying a warthog or wood cutting blade, but not as the blade that would be on the saw at all times.

Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

Forum Member

We have 2, 1 with metal blade, 1 with concrete/masonry blade. They are K650's.

Never know when you might need to do this...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Bones, what happened to the triangle cut?

Forum Member

A block fell out on a guy as he was coming through.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Default the blade of blades

We put the wart hog blades on all our saws and haven't ran across anything yet it couldn't cut. there are things i wouldn't attempt to use it on though like concrete or rebar but no blade will cut everything. this one is about as close as you can get though. plus it looks cool
    Mike

http://www.thewarthog.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=0

Forum Member

Default Ps

PS we bought them 2 or 3 years ago and haven't had to replace a single blade yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

those saws do a good job, just remember to not store the blades in the same compartment as gas. it attacks the blades and they fall apart. it was in the FF2 book.

Forum Member

We currently carry Stihl Rotary saws on all of our rigs. the only set back I see with these saws is Stihl does not recomend useing anything other than abbrasive blades not a big deal but they do decreases rapidly along with cutting depth. Has anyone used Stihl and a K-12 of wich one would you prefer.

Forum Member

Our RIT response rig, we carry two(2) Partner K-12 saws, one set up with a wood cutting blade (24 tip Carbide) and one set up with Aluminum Oxide blade for masonry/steel. We also carry a Cutters Edge with carbide tip chain. http://www.allhandsfire.com/page/AHF/CTGY/sawblades

MembersZone Subscriber

Our trucks carry a partner k-1250 with the head set in the outboard position for forcible entry, running a 14" diamond blade. this cuts faster than abrasive blades, doesn't wear down in diameter, lasts a hundred times longer than abrasive, cuts metal, concrete, brick, and block without changing blades. For a ventilation blade you can't beat the warthog blade. shingles, wood shake,stucco, lathe and plaster, hardwood floors, linoleum, even metal decking it just rips right through. although you do need a powerful saw to run it. as far as brands go we have not been impressed with the stihls, it seems that the husqavarna or partner saws are the way to go, in a k-950 or k-1250 size.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you already have the ability to cut wood (with your chain/vent saw), you may want to consider some of the Multi-Use Matrix Blades:

http://www.cuttersedge.com/products/rescue_blade.html

http://www.firehooksunlimited.net/blades.html

PROS:
    More effective than a standard abrasive blade
    Cut multiple materials with 1 blade

CONS:
    Cost

If given the choice, having used these blades, I would never go back to a standard "abrasive blade". I personally used one of these blades to "step cut" through a 30" thick bridge deck section which included multiple layers of asphalt, concrete, and steel (rebar and decking). Another team tried the same cut with "abrasive blades" and gave up after going through multiple blades and only making it part way through the first layer of material. Needless to say if the blade can handle a cut like that, then going through some burglar bars or a block wall is nothing.

If you are going to run with standard "abrasive" blades:
    1. Make sure they are marked clearly (what they cut)
    2. You have the equipment and training to change them quickly

We have learned the hard way doing RIT Drills that these are 2 very common problem areas. The wrong blade gets put on, and it takes 10 minutes to do it!

On saws, first priority is, learn how to effectively use what you have (pros & cons). If you are talking new saws, the new Partner K-12 is a really nice saw given the horse power (6.1) and weight (23 lbs) ratio.

Good Luck, Stay Safe,
    Last edited by torichardson; 02-19-2007 at 02:32 PM.
    Mike Richardson
    Captain, Training Officer
    St Matthews FD, Louisville KY
    "aka TIman"
    richardson@stmatthewsfd.com

TI Training = www.safe-ir.com

The information and views above are in no way associated with my employer, and are strictly my own.

Forum Member

Hmmmn,Did YOU read the Terms of use for this site? T.C.

Thread Information