View Poll Results: Which flshlight would you choose?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Streamlight Survivor rechargable

21 61.76%
  • Pelican Big Ed rechargable

13 38.24%
    Forum Member

Lightbulb Flashlights: wich one to choose?

Im a Lieutenant of a fire company at Santiago, Chile. We are in a process to renew our radios and flashlights. For personal use weve been thinking about survivor or big ed flashlights. It would be very helpfull if you tell me about your expierence about the streamlight survivor rechargable and the pelican big ed rechargable flashlights.

Forum Member

The Streamlight Survivor's are a great light. The beam of light can be adjusted. They are very durable. They are fairly bright, but only last about 1.5 hours in between charges. I have no experience with the Big Eds, but I believe they give more candlepower than the Survivor but they are a bit larger.

On a side note, if you are in the market for a Litebox type flashlight, look into the new Bright Star Lite Hawk. It is a VERY nice light. It only weighs 2 LBs with the battery and last 2.5-3.5 hours depending on which battery. Also, candle power of 125,000 and tail lights, and a low battery indicator light on it. I would recommend the light to anyone over the Streamlight Liteboxes or even the Vulcans.

Some Guy

Do you ever see that bright flashlight that is in movies. The one that looks like a litebox on steroids? I have never been able to find who makes these.

I love my Survivor!
    This space for rent

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWickman
    Do you ever see that bright flashlight that is in movies. The one that looks like a litebox on steroids? I have never been able to find who makes these.
    Those are actually movie props that are made just for the movies. It needs to be a special kind of xeon or another type of bulb, depending on what kind of film they are using, so it would look normal on film. Plus, with the filtering on the camera, the other lighting on the set, and just enough fog to highlight the beam, it gives it the look that it is a chunk of the sun and super bright. Really most of them are pretty cheap with an old lantern type battery in them.

Make note next time you see Rescue Me or watch Ladder 49 again. Notice the Survior lights they use, notice the light (the light beam, not the light itself. that is hunter orange color) has an orange-ish tint to it. That is because of the type of filtering used in the camera. In one part in the movie the light beam looks orange and in another part the light beam looks white. It's all in the effects and color filtering.

A buddy of mine works for Industrial Light and Magic, the company that does special effects for top movie studios. It's pretty amazing how they can make something from nothing and make it look realistic. In real life they look obviously fake but on film it looks very real. Guess that's why they call it Hollywood...
    Last edited by Dickey; 05-21-2006 at 06:48 AM.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I would say you are missing one light up there, the Kohler responder.

We did a review between the 3, and decided on the Kohlers. We have been very happy, no issues what so ever. The Division 1 Class 1 rating is perfect for hazmat duties as well.

http://flashlight.com/bright_star/responder.htm
    [FONT=Garamond]Asst. Chief Chris Jennings

Forum Member

Most of our guys (myself included), use the Advanced Lighting flashlights (Based in Ronkonkama NY) These are also issued to each company by the FDNY. They are fantastic lights, they can easily and clearly illuminate a window on the top floor of a 21 story project. We use them every tour, and they work great. I wouldnt use any other light.

I belive the NYPD also uses them for evidence search etc....
    Last edited by MattyJ; 05-22-2006 at 06:01 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Little Ed

I have had the Little ed from Pelican for 2 years and love it. They have advanced the technology and use LED's lasting 200hrs rather than 3-4 hrs with the old style as well as being much brighter. The Portland Fire and Rescue tested and bought 500 of them to be regular issue. Pretty close to the same lumens as the Big Ed and much smaller and lighter

Permanently Removed

I have to admit, I like both Pelican and Survivor products.

For duty, I was issued an orange recharageable Survivor and it has been working well for 3+ years. So far, the battery hasnt died on me and its been pretty dependable.

But I also use Pelican non-rechargable lights for personal use. (personal truck and car) So far, they have held up well too. The 200+ hour LED Big Eds sound interesting. LA County Fire recently bought 2000+ Big Eds and so far the purchase sounds positive.

As for repair- I have had to send 1-2 lights to So. Cal. to Pelican for repair. They were fixed and sent back from the factory pretty quick. I do like the life-time guarantee from Pelican as well.

I wish I could give you more info. on Streamlight's warranty.

Good luck, Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 05-23-2006 at 02:06 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MattyJ
    Most of our guys (myself included), use the Advanced Lighting flashlights (Based in Ronkonkama NY) These are also issued to each company by the FDNY. They are fantastic lights, they can easily and clearly illuminate a window on the top floor of a 21 story project. We use them every tour, and they work great. I wouldnt use any other light.

I belive the NYPD also uses them for evidence search etc....
    MattyJ,

I couldnt google a website. Do you have any other information on this company?
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Website

http://www.alcorp.com/

Advanced Lighting Corp.
    30-T Raynor Ave.
    Ronkonkoma, NY 11779-6628
    Phone: 631-467-4877
    Fax: 631-467-4896
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfireguy
    http://www.alcorp.com/

Advanced Lighting Corp.
    30-T Raynor Ave.
    Ronkonkoma, NY 11779-6628
    Phone: 631-467-4877
    Fax: 631-467-4896

Thank you!
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Thread Information