Keepin it real

Default Abit early but what the heck

Time to think about Wildwood again, convention is coming up in Sept. and have you booked your motel yet?? As I've done in the past few years, I've made my trip to Wildwood in search of a motel room for convention. This was to be different the motel I stayed at last year was razed for condo's by I was referred to a condo by the motel owner.... well condo was full for that weekend but was referred to motel in the Crest.... Behold a motel with NO ONE yes I said NO ONE booked for that weekend.... well I'm not one to judge what happened last year, the story from the front desk stated that the fire department that stayed last year did damage and failed to pay for it. So any of you Hose Wackers need a room for convention you better head down to the Eden Roc motel at 5201 Atlantic Avenue in Wildwood to book your room, as of two weeks ago there were 27 rooms left room rates are $89 per night $99 for eff. rm

http://www.edenrocmotel.com/contact.htm

Reservations: 1-888-373-1930 ~ Phone: 1-609-522-1930
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

Forum Member

We have been at the same hotel since the convention moved from A/C back to Wildwood. Each year, during the convention, we book the next years rooms. Unfortunately, this will be our last year there as the building is being torn down to build a hotel/condo/shopping/parking complex. That is expected to take 2 years.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

and I can tell you I won't be going down, as I can get drunker cheaper by staying local. other than that, I fail to see why anyone (except for delagates, and I don't even know what they do) would spend the money and several days down there.

oh yeah, and to look at all the new apparatus and get a new t-shirt.

yeah, i'll probably be passing on this one.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Keepin it real

This is my next to last year going, hope to have a better year this time around (no car troubles).... waiting to see what fun happens in the meets this year.
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

MembersZone Subscriber

Ahhhh, Wildwood. The convention for NJ FF that possess not one shred of self respect.

Why don't you guys spend your money on one of the half-dozen or so FF events that will:

1. Put you in touch with FF who actually fight fire (not old men who haven't seen a fire from the inside for 20 years)
    2. Put you in touch with FF who are actually desirous of improving themselves with valid training
    3. Allow you to learn real FF techniques and practices from the best and brightest of the fire service from throughout the US
    4. Allow you not to fraternize with a bunch of drunken pukes who do more in one weekend to give the NJ fire service a bad name than most other FF do in a lifetime.

MembersZone Subscriber

Second that motion...

If I go, its usually a day only for the trucks and equipment, but even thats more of a show of classless tshirts and wacker crap. When I was younger I thought it was a cool place to go. My old age and a little of common sense tells me its a disgrace.

Forum Member

And don't forget the ever popular game of 'Who's my babys Daddy'.

Forum Member

Unfortunately, FDIC east was the next least expensive opportunity. But, since A/C labor forces made that so expensive for dealers, they mostly all backed out. Now there is no FDIC East.

Firehouse Expo in Balt, good time but can't make this year. FDIC in Indianapolis, way out of budget. Harrisburg show, lots to see, not much in training, moving more towards a "whacker" show each year.

It would be great if serious effort was put into worthwhile training for Wildwood. There always seems to be a "last minute" half hearted attempt for Wed and Thu, but never really good training opportunities. And yes, that is a shame.

By the way, I have yet to be at ANY "show" that after hours "socializing" is not a part of. Nowhere near as overboard as Childwood, but it happens everywhere.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

There is nothing wrong with after-hours socializing. In fact, there is an argument that it can be a benefit in terms of networking and bond-building. But the antics that go on every year in Wildwood give the NJ fire service a bad name. If you are there, you are part of it and you condone it. Period.

There will never be a serious attempt at bringing training to that event. The organization is rife with 65+ year old FF with no agenda other than to make sure their trip next year is paid for. There has not been one, single shred of useful action taken by this group. They are completely irrelevant.

You want to see a stir? Have your FD rep stand up on the floor and make a motion to move the meeting (which truth be told, is only about two hours long) to Wed. and Thurs and to hold training seminars on Fri. and Sat.

Some Guy

Screw it. I am going to go to Firehouse Las Vegas.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

IT'S OVER....PUT THE LOCKS ON THE CONVENTION CENTER, SHUT DOWN THE TENTS, AND HOLD THE YEARLY MEETING AT SOMEBODYS FIRE HOUSE

The Parade Sucks - Same Companies participate every year, same companies win every year. The parade lasts 3/4 less of the time than it used to when I first started attending almost 16 years ago.

I participated in this parade for 3 of the 5 years in row that my company took the over-all best appearing company. Admittedly I had alot of fun preping the apparatus, marching, and taking home the trophies. But seriously what does it all mean ? What do you get ? ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING ! except a large clean up at the Firehouse the Sunday after convention.

Prices are raised for that weekend even though all around town you see Welcome New Jersey Firemen

They're not welcoming us they're welcoming our wallets.

The "Convention" it-self has never had nor will it ever have any educational value. In this day and age with terrorisim, newer vehicle productions, chemicals, ICS and that dreaded NIMS stuff maybe there should be classes and seminars scheduled instead of numerous tables inside a smelly muddy tent full of fireman belt buckles, blue lights, and T-Shirts that say "I'm a real Volunteer Firefighter"

Maybe and I say just maybe no one would jump off their motel balcony into the pool and die from the injuries because they were so F'in drunk they were retarded. And those drunken mid-night ocean swims where we've lost firefighters in years past not to mention the misdomenor arrests that occur involving......yeah our firefighters.

And these people who get ****ed when they loose the big trophy and bash the winners --- Poor sportsmen and no doubt angry drunks. I've had the unfortunte pleasure to see this in action over the years. --- This convention is a waist, needs to be abolished, and quite frankly..... forgotten about.

IT'S OVER !!!

Forum Member

There's a parade?

MembersZone Subscriber

You're partly wrong. The convention has ZERO value-educational or otherwise. Not one, single item has EVER come out of the convention that was of benefit to the NJ Fire Service.

Don't believe me? Read the minutes. The two most contentious issues are where they are going to continue to hold the convention and how much they are going to "reimburse" the delegates.

Forum Member

You forgot the third item....the wish to build a second FF's home towards the Southern end of the state. Although, that's only been being discussed for the last 4 years.

Oh wait, there is also the challenging of the "Executive Board" making up their own rules and doing what they want, when they want. But then again, the minutes tend to "filter" that out. Oh wait, who's responsible for the minutes?....the "Executive Board".

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    You forgot the third item....the wish to build a second FF's home towards the Southern end of the state. Although, that's only been being discussed for the last 4 years.

Oh wait, there is also the challenging of the "Executive Board" making up their own rules and doing what they want, when they want. But then again, the minutes tend to "filter" that out. Oh wait, who's responsible for the minutes?....the "Executive Board".
    Yeah. I forgot.

Total waste of a perfectly good weekend.

Forum Member

George,

I believe you....No need for me to read the minutes. -- I'm with you 100%

Sorry I failed to mention the fact that this "Convention" has absolutley no value to the NJ Fire Service at all......Thanks for the verification on that.

However, There are some Educational things I did learn from the NJ Firemen's Convention......

1. I know where to Stay away from the 2nd. or 3rd. Weekend in September

2. The ratio of drunks to sober people is roughly 20 to 1 {depending on the size of the company}

3. The value of a dollar in Wildwood during Firemen's convention is alot shorter.....{Between Eating, motels, boardwalk stuff, etc...} you're able to to subtract numbers from your bank balance faster than a math wizz.
    Last edited by BD6413; 05-26-2006 at 05:43 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

C'mon guys. Even whackers need a place to congregate...
    Proud member of the IACOJ.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you....

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

MembersZone Subscriber

It was fun the first few years I went down there when I first joined the fire dept back when I was 18...now here I am 21 and I find the convention to be a disgrace. Yea like others have said it was fun to win the best overall trophy and a couple first place trophies here and there but its more about politics like everyone said booze. Plus the judges expect to have working apparatus so ridiculously clean that its nearly impossible to hold it to there standards....my dept is still attending this year but its gonna be much scaled down compared to the previous years and I know that I will never be attending it ever again cause its just a waste of money.
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Thread Information