MembersZone Subscriber

Question Scott SCBA Failures???

What can you guys tell me about the "reported" Scott SCBA failures that cause the regulator to fail? I've heard the Denver FF and 1 in Charlotte had this happen. Fact or Fiction? Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

A SCOTT has two redundant systems that if the firefighters are properly trained would recognize a problem with the airpak long before their would be a problem that could cause a failure.
    Bad air is a main problem of SCBA failures, that is why we test our air and maintain the compressor and cascade.
    A failure of the regulator would cause the low air alarm to sound reguardless of pressure. I don'y have my book infront of me but their is little that would cause a complete failure.
    Regular maintenance (by a qualified individual) is the key to a long trouble free life. I'm not saying that something can't happen, but if maintained like YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT a SCOTT is a great pack.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ncfirefighter1
    What can you guys tell me about the "reported" Scott SCBA failures that cause the regulator to fail? I've heard the Denver FF and 1 in Charlotte had this happen. Fact or Fiction? Thanks
    What other information do you have on these reported "failures"? Which Denver incident are you referring to? Was it the first one of this week or the firefighter who was seperated from his crew and became trapped and had his facepiece dislodged?
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I don't have any info on problems with the Scott regulators, but, my department has had problems recently with our Scott Pak-Alert 1000 pass devices. We have had three pass devices fail in the last three months [ a pretty significant amount since we only have 20 packs]. The pass devices we currently have are Pak-Alert 1000 integrated pass devices manufactured in March 1998, and upgraded circuit boards in 2000 due to the recall of these devices. The problem we are having is when the air cylinder is turned on the affected devices are not arming themselves, and in addition when there is air pressure on the system the device cannot be manually activated into alarm mode, nor will they go into alarm mode automatically if no motion is detected. If the pressure is bled from the system the alarm mode can be manually activated. I would be interested to hear if anyone else is having this same problem. Also, in the case of the Denver firefighter, all the reports say they found him by TRIPPING over him on the floor, and there is no mention of a pass device sounding.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Older Screws

I have only heard of the two main retention screws that hold the air regulator pin in place; inside the body of the low pressure regulator. This is a warranty item that we had fixed a few years ago and Scott has redesigned this in the newer models though.

When the older screws would brake out you would get no air on inhalation or positive pressure. I havenít personally heard of this happening though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LFD131
    The problem we are having is when the air cylinder is turned on the affected devices are not arming themselves,
    This is probably a bad pressure switch or a shorted circuit board. Both of these would be in the remote gauge coming over your shoulder and not the console at the bottom of your back. We have had trouble with water leaks into the remote gauge which will destroy those boards. I don't know who services your Scotts, but a vacuum test on the unit may be in order. The older Scotts have a completely plastic back to the remote gauge and they can start to distort allowing water in. They have new back plates now that are stronger and less likely to distort.

A magnet can be ran over the pressure switch to see if it's the problem (it's in the remote gauge as well). If you run a magnet over the switch and the unit arms, but it does not arm when you open cylinder pressure to it, you probably need a new pressure switch.

and in addition when there is air pressure on the system the device cannot be manually activated into alarm mode,
    I don't know...I would still look at the pressure switch, circuit board, or change the 9volt batteries.

nor will they go into alarm mode automatically if no motion is detected. If the pressure is bled from the system the alarm mode can be manually activated.
    ...are you saying the unit was armed, but then didn't activate with no motion? Obviously, if the unit never armed when you opened the cylinder, it isn't going to alarm when it's motionless.

Scott's have an 8 year bumper-to-bumper warranty and a 15 year warranty on the reducer. I would definitely notify your rep ASAP and see if you can get replacement parts.

Forum Member

Kayakking, thanks for your reply, we have tried new batteries, and have sent one unit to our service center, and they say parts are not available to repair, so the pass device must be replaced and upgraded to the Pak-Alert SE. Two of the affected units are spares and water infiltration should not be an issue. Also, the warranty on pass devices is one year. Our main concern is the pattern developing with three units having the same problem in a short period of time.

Forum Member

Kayakking, thanks for your reply, we have tried new batteries, and have sent one unit to our service center, and they say parts are not available to repair, so the pass device must be replaced and upgraded to the Pak-Alert SE. Two of the affected units are spares and water infiltration should not be an issue. Also, the warranty on pass devices is one year. Our main concern is the pattern developing with three units having the same problem in a short period of time.
    If you guys find out what the problem was, post back on here. So an 8 year bumper to bumper warranty doesn't include the PASS? Go figure...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kayakking
    If you guys find out what the problem was, post back on here. So an 8 year bumper to bumper warranty doesn't include the PASS? Go figure...
    Bumper to bumper does not include electronics. Only coverage for this part of the pack is one year.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BFDLT32
    What other information do you have on these reported "failures"? Which Denver incident are you referring to? Was it the first one of this week or the firefighter who was seperated from his crew and became trapped and had his facepiece dislodged?
    i'm sure they were referring to billy green - the denver ff who has had a full recovery. last i heard they are not even 100% certain there was a mask failure - he could have gone in without the regulator attached, got hit by a flashover and that was that. word is his tank wasn't turned on.

i'm not saying the scotts fail, i'm just saying that all aspects of what happened are being examined.

Default scba failures

we've had a couple of unexplained failures with the Scott 2.2. One of the SCBAs has been sent to NIOSH for testing but we haven't received a full report yet. In one case, the mask was working fine and suddenly failed (could not draw air) during an interior fire attack. The firefighter was lucky to escape with second egree burns to the face and neck. A second failure occurred initially after donning the mask. The mask would not deliver air unless the firefighter used the purge valve. We haven't investigated that one yet (just happened last night). I'd be interecsted to know if anyone else has experienced similar problems.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have scott 4.5's that we have had for 4.5 yrs now. I am in charge of our SCBA program, and we have only recently had 1 problem. The regulator did fail, but it failed to the open postion. The user had a constant supply of air, but the bottle ran out quickly. It is currently being serviced so when I get the final report I will publish it for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

The command I work for in the Navy is responsible for the maintenance of all the Scott SCBA's in the Navy Mid-Atlantic Region. Some of the only problems we have found through routine maintenance, is a complete lack there of causing problems.

1. Regulators not stowed in the waist port. This has lead to sealing problems of the regulator and face piece.

2. Somehow, the bypass valve is out of specs. When hooked to the posi-check, the bypass should only allow "x" amount of air/psi through to the face piece. We have to keep popping the pins out and adjusting the flow through the valve.

3. The Navy insists on mixing units and bottles. I have seen 2216psi bottles on the newwe 4.5 frame. This may or may not affect the unit. Our posi-check can not tell us the causes of failures.

The last ship we just tested, of the 16 harnesses tested, 4 failed. Three were repaired and returned to the ship. One needs to be returned to Scott for repairs
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

RFD,How often are your units "benched"? In forty years of Scott use we've had one regulator(main)failure and it was due to corrosion.Ours are benched annually.The most common problem we see is like Doc said:Purge valve out of adjustment.I'd be interested in knowing what's causing your failures. T.C.

Thread Information