Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Default Equipment for a rescue engine

My volly FD is getting a rescue engine and while we think we have a good assortment of both engine, truck and rescue tools to put on this engine we are always looking for ways to be better. So I guess what I am asking is: What tools or equipment do you carry on this kind of rig that you feel is out of the ordinary? Maybe it is something we haven't even thought of that could vastly improve our operations.

FyredUp

Forum Member

How about vehicle stabilization struts???

Believe it or not the second most used stabilization equipment other than our step chocks are our struts. (we use them on all overturned vehicles)

Here's a thread with suggestions for strut systems:http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=80009
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53
    How about vehicle stabilization struts???

Good idea ironsman.

If you can, get your hands on a copy of Vehicle Rescue by Harvey Grant. This is an old book from the 70's or so and it has a wealth of information on hand tools used for extrication. Many that are waaay out of the ordinary.

Also I would recommend a porta power. (not sure if you carry them, many places around her do not) Thats about all I can think of for now. If I think of anything I'll be back.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

knowledgable firefighters always helps

Anyway I would recommend the Petrogen torch kit or something similar. Elevator keys and tool if you have any in your first due area, not everyone has them. RIT/RIC pack and escape packs(SCBA). Good assortment of tech. rescue and haz-mat equipment.

Forum Member

The Department south of me bought a nicely put together rescue-pumper about 5 years ago. Most of the stuff is fairly standard, just done well.

One thing that stood out to me was they put receiver hitches on all four sides and keep a hitch mounted winch in a compartment -- making it much easier to spot the truck to use the winch on the rare occassions it's needed.

It's not a tool that's used very often (I can only think of 3 times in 20 years my department's used it for a rescue or stabilization effort)...but usually when you want that tool, you really, really want it. And each time we've used it, it required repositioning a truck to make the pull.

The last 2 times was the winch on our Service (mini-pumper) truck, so it wasn't that big of a deal, and the truck is fairly small & manueverable.

The first time was with our old '76 Rescue, which at the time was our only truck with a winch -- had to pack our Hurst tools back on board (reels), close up the compartments, and send the truck up the road to turn around so we could get the nose where we needed it to use the front mounted winch.

Forum Member

Okay struts...we don't have those but do have high lift jacks.

Portapower...nope but this engine and our next due will both have Maverick tools form Hurst.

The petrogen torch...I am not familiar with this...what are its uses? Elevator keys, we have one elevator and it is from the basement to the first floor in our nursing home. Keys on scene. We have 2 complete Scott RIT packs. As for tools, we have quite the variety of tools and equipment. many overhaul and truck tools not at all common in this area.

Damn it, the receiver hitches would have been a great idea...probably too late for that now though....maybe as an add on later.

Thanks guys, keep them coming!!

FyredUp

Forum Member

All of the prior mentioned ideas are great, now that I am home I can check an inventory for the heavy squads at my Dad's dept.

- Plasma Torch
    - Hydra Ram
    - Rotary Hammer
    - Impact Wrench
    - Air Chisel (high pressure)
    - Glas Master
    - Excalibur Knife
    - Air Bags (low pressure and high pressure)
    - Chainsaw
    - K-12 or other rotary saw
    - Dragon Tool
    - Come alongs w/ asst. chains
    - Little Giant Ladder
    - Stokes
    - Hot Stik
    - Gas meters
    - Line Gun

I realize that there is no way that all of these tools would fit in a truck along with the required engine tools but just some ideas.

And one advantage of a porta power is that in can be used in many dangerous situations. (i.e.- confined space, area where gas levels need to be maintained, etc) It may also be used at a large accident when there are multiple extrications that need to be performed at one time. Like many other things, it is just another tool to have.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Okay as an engine this rig will have standard NFPA equipment and the ISO equipment to make it qualify for those points. Some areas exceeded. 1475 0f 5 inch hose, 1000 feet of 3 inch hose. 1200 feet of 2 inch hose.

Equipment above normal engine equipment:

Hurst Maverick
    Hurst 30 Ram
    Hurst attachment kit
    Hurst chains
    cribbing
    Corded and cordless sawzalls
    9 piece DeWalt cordless tool kit
    Tool box
    2 Rit Packs
    Irons
    extra flathead axe
    2 pick head axes
    4 foot New york hook
    2 - 6 foot New York hooks
    4 and 6 foot Boston Rake
    8 and 12 foot pike poles
    6 foot rubbish hook
    Salavge covers...number to be determined

And I am sure more that I have forgotten right now...I am sure we will add more as it becomes available/

Keep the ideas coming.

FyredUp

Forum Member

P.S.- if you dont know what some of those are, feel free to ask.

That goes for anyone!

Hope this helps

Forum Member

I forgot to mention the mini-CO and the Orion multi-gas meter

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Petrogen Torch kit, a replacement for the normal oxy-acetyln(sp?) torch. The torch runs on Regular Unleaded Gasoline and Oxygen, highly field friendly. You can refill the gas canister o/s and it comes with and adapter to fit the head of a regualer super d oxygen cylinder. Something every fire truck and ambulance carry. It cuts through 1/4" steel like butter and with the different heads it will cut just about any size steel. Very easy to use and train with. A plasma cutter would be nice but you need a constant flow of compressed air and a 220V outlet so you are pretty much limited to however long your trucks reels are and you have to have a 220V generator.

My company just demoed the Petrogen Kit and will hopefully be purchasing one in the near future, conservativly priced aswell around $1700.

for more information visit thier website www.Petrogen.com

Forum Member

Hmmm...

Couple plastic cat food containers, filled with sand/salt mix. For winter traction if you have black ice at an accident, or if you're helping move a cot over icy steps at a house.

I'd also like to see a couple..."logging" chains (6' long, slip hook on one end, grab hook on the other), a couple flat nylon tow straps, and a couple come-a-longs. I recently bought a nylon-strap come-a-long for my own use; might want to look at those.

Those Chains & come-a-longs don't take that much space/weight can be used for some odd-ball situations if you're having to improvise stabilization -- stabilize a car on it's side by tensioning it against the tree or other car it's laying against; also seen them to keep a door open on a car that's on it's side that it wasn't worth the time it would take to remove, just needed it out of the way.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And.................

A Few More Items, from the guy who really carries all this stuff....
    1. Wooden Cribbing - 2x4, 4x4, 6x6, at least a dozen pieces of each (our length is 22 inches)
    2. Wooden Wedges - about 2 dozen, assorted sizes
    3. Plywood Pads - about 10, 2ft x 2ft, 1/2 to 3/4 thick
    4. 4 eight foot long 4x4s
    5. 4 4ft x 4ft plywood sheets, 1/2 in thick
    6. toolbox containing at least 5 pounds of assorted Nails, 2 hatchest, 2 claw hammers, HEAVY DUTY Staple Gun w/staples
    7. Roll of 4 mil clear plastic
    8. 4 eight ft 2x4s
    9. 2 Hand Saws
    10. 1 Skilsaw
    11. 1 Shopvac, or other wet vac
    12. 18 in. Chain Saw
    13. Vent saw
    14. K12 Saw w/metal blade
    13. K12 Saw w/wood blade
    14. 2 Sawzalls
    15. 1/2 in. Drill W/bits
    16. 16in Elec Fan
    17. Gas Ram Fan
    18. Air Bag Set - 8 bags, 12 to 74 tons. 2 regulators, enough hose to set up 4 bags at once. 1/4 turn valve for every bag.
    19. Air Impact Wrench set
    20. Air Chisel set
    21. Wizzer saw
    22. 8 SCBA W/Spare Cylinder
    23. Aid Bag
    24. O2 bag
    25. A.E.D.
    26. SKED Stretcher
    27. Stokes Basket
    28. RIT Bag
    29. Thermal Imaging Camera
    29. 40 Carabieners
    30. 20 Prussic cords
    31. 20 Pcs. 1in Webbing 15 ft long
    32. 10 Figure 8 decenders
    33. 2 Brake Bar Racks
    34. 2 Edge Rollers
    35. 4 ascenders
    36. 2 300ft sections of 1/2in Static Kernmantle Lifeline
    37. 5 150ft sections of 1/2in Static Kernmantle Lifeline
    38. 2 150ft sections of 1/2in nylon utility rope
    39. 4 Water Rescue Rope Throwbags
    40. 6 Type III PFDs
    41. 4 "Gumby" Suits
    42. 22 Cal. Line Gun
    43. 2 150ft sections Floating Lifeline (1/2in)
    44. 4 type III Rappelling Harnesses
    45. 25Kw Generator, 2 1,000w Tripod lights, 6 750w lights, 2 250ft cord reels, 4 125ft portable elec reels
    46. 2 HURST pumps, set of rams, Transformer tool, cutters, combo tool, 2 reels, Accessory set
    47. Assorted Irons, Axes, bars, hooks, etc.
    48. 8 Hand lights
    49. 4 Spine Boards, Assorted C Collars, assorted Splints
    50. 2 Bear Claw Stabilization kits

I'm sure I missed a few more items, but you get an idea. The rig is at www.gdvfd18.com Go to the Apparatus Page, E 183. Watch our site early next week for a major announcement concerning this piece of apparatus.
    Last edited by hwoods; 05-19-2006 at 01:35 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information