Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default PM Recordkeeping

I am responsible for fleet maintenance for 10 fire apparatus in a combination department. I am wondering how other departments keep records of the service done on the rigs. Do you use a particular computer program, spreadsheet or still all paper?

If you use something like excel, I would appreciate copies of the chart you use to gather ideas for my own document.

I'm looking for an easy way (via computer) to track when the rigs are due for service for each of the components (engine, pump trans etc).

Any ideas?
    Last edited by MG3610; 05-18-2006 at 06:57 PM.

You keep records? LOL

I had tried to develope an excel based system a few years ago, but we ended up not implimenting it, we do it with a white board and pen and paper (when we do it at all).

It would be nice to have a system that reminds you of PM, maybe Outlook might be able to do something with a plug-in?
    ______________________________ __________________
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    ______________________________ __________________
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

I'm currently using two programs, not too impressed with either. Firehouse software may be able to help you out with a smaller number of apparatus. The only thing you may have to do is change some of the variables to get exactly the info your looking for in your reports. The codes used by Firehouse software seem a little too generic when it comes to classifying maintenance problems. - electrical problem - may be a little to vague with modern apparatus and your trying to figure out which circuit board keeps frying and why.

The other software we use is Fleet Maint. This is more designed for mechanics, both of our shops are using it. It's not that firefighter friendly if you want to use it for daily/weekly record keeping. What it does well though is if you need to find out how many times part # 1234 had to be replaced on engine 12. VERY pricey software, but does what it does extremely well.

GOOD LUCK!
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Default records

Since we are a large entity we are tied to what the City provides us which is to tie us to a system called Hanson(en) which is just a little complicated but workable. I would rather have a stand alone fleet type program but that will never happen here. In your case I would be just as happy having a self made workorder that could be filed and a dry earse board with the vehicles listed and what is due. The done part would be the workorders on file. Record keeping, no matter how rudimentary, is vital in case of liability.

Forum Member

Our dept. has 14 apparatus and we still use old THICK paper record log books to keep track of service/repairs done on all apparatus... Now for when trucks and engines are due for service each station gets a copy from Admin. for the entire year and it lists which apparatus are due for service for that month...All apparatus are serviced every three months...

Jason

MembersZone Subscriber

MG3610

I was in a similar situation for about thirteen years, and I sypathise with you. I used software called Sunpro, and now called Bio-Key. It worked well for me, and it allowed me to build the system that I wanted.

Excell records are easy to make, and track. You might want to look into Mirosoft Access. It's more of a date base system that can help you track what you want to track. The problem is unless you know how to build it, it's hard to build the system. I suggest you contact someone that works with Access, and see if they would be willing to build you a data base.

I also suggest you keep hard copies of repair forms, write ups, and build a record system that tracks all equipment on a particular piece of apparatus.

Hope this helps....

Forum Member

Default Rta

I use RTA software that can be found at RTAFLEET.COM , I've found it to do all I've asked of it and more.

We have 6 trucks and 1 truck has it's day to get checked out minus sunday.Any way we have binders (with all the stuff that needs checked on the trucks) we do a drivers weekly,officers weekly ,and the first week of the month we do a monthly where we lubricate all the valves and stuff like that it's a little more detailed than the weekly stuff,we also have a 6 month check, and a yearley that we do.The yearley all the fluids are changed including all the fluids in the saws,fans,etc.. We usually do the saws and fans but the city mechanic does the wrenching for us though.Than once were done doing our checkout we log it into our fd computer, we have the Fire Programs Software and it seems to work out ok for us.You can put notes in there also or whatever you need to do.Good luck.BESAFE
    Last edited by dday05; 06-04-2006 at 08:38 PM.

Thread Information