Forum Member

Default atmospheric monitor research

Our department uses Aim 600 series 3 sensor units (O2,LEL,CO) on all engines and rescues have Aim 600 4 gas (the extra being H2S). Haz Mat has Multi RAE plus PID's. Due to recent concerns and high repair costs we have removed the Aims from service and are looking for replacements that have O2,CO,LEL and either a broad range sensor or H2S. The ones were looking at are:
    Industrial Scientifc M40 or iTX
    MSA Solaris Fire
    BW Tech
    Emitt
    Scott Scout
    Every salesperson guarantees their unit is better than the last so does anyone have field experience with these detectors to help us pick the 'best'?

Forum Member

Why not stick with the multi rae's. Then you have uniform equipment across the board. The cost may be higher, however you might get cheaper rates on cal.s and parts that wear out such as sensors. Just an idea. I use them on a team I work with and like them.
    At work we are using zellweger, I think the spelling is off but it is close. Anyway they are a decent product, no real problems to speak of, although I think costumer service could be better.

MembersZone Subscriber

The RAE units are reliable, but pretty expensive for every rig.
    We use our meters daily and Industrial Scientific units are bullet proof. The iTX has a ton of bells and whistles you won't ever use, the M40 is plastic. The MG140 is one they don't advertise too much, it is yellow painted stainless steel, 4 gas, no bells or whistles. I think they were about $800 -$1000 per? We have had excellent luck with them, I believe we operate around 6 of those and 8 of the 312's. We have 1 iTX and it is no better or worse, but alot more expensive

MembersZone Subscriber

Multi Rae best monitor on the market. We have them on all 8 hazmat companies. They cover most of your needs except rad and ph.

Forum Member

ANCHOR170 - Aim makes a fine new product, the Aim Pilot which can be configured from one to 4 sensors (O2, LEL, H2S, CO). We will take your old 600's in on trade-in and get you some Pilots for around $595 each. They are maintenance free for 20 months and in 20 months, for $295, you replace all four sensors (unique sensor pack design). So for < $900, you have 40 months of warrantied and dependable gas detection. If you would like a quote or more info, send me an email @ rrhodehamel@totalsafety.com

Forum Member

Default Aim Gas Detection

Quote Originally Posted by Anchor170
    Our department uses Aim 600 series 3 sensor units (O2,LEL,CO) on all engines and rescues have Aim 600 4 gas (the extra being H2S). Haz Mat has Multi RAE plus PID's. Due to recent concerns and high repair costs we have removed the Aims from service and are looking for replacements that have O2,CO,LEL and either a broad range sensor or H2S. The ones were looking at are:
    Industrial Scientifc M40 or iTX
    MSA Solaris Fire
    BW Tech
    Emitt
    Scott Scout
    Every salesperson guarantees their unit is better than the last so does anyone have field experience with these detectors to help us pick the 'best'?
    ANCHOR170 - Aim makes a fine new product, the Aim Pilot which can be configured from one to 4 sensors (O2, LEL, H2S, CO). We will take your old 600's in on trade-in and get you some Pilots for around $595 each. They are maintenance free for 20 months and in 20 months, for $295, you replace all four sensors (unique sensor pack design). So for < $900, you have 40 months of warrantied and dependable gas detection. If you would like a quote or more info, send me an email @ rrhodehamel@totalsafety.com

There is also the Aim Commander which is like a multi rae with plug and play sensors, including PID (4gas+PID)

Forum Member

Most rescue and hazmat appliances here use Zellweger Analytics Impact Pro. It is a good unit with a cartridge sensor unit of the usual four gases. We have found the cost of the cartridge (4 gases) is equivalent to the cost of a single gas sensor for other models of gas monitors. Its a reasonable display, a basic data logging facility and fireman fingers work it.

One of the most critical bits is not the equipment but the support. Lots of promises from equipment suppliers. We get good support from Zellweger agent here with competent technicians, whereas Drager etc can provide cheaper units but a simple question on cross sensitization of the H2S sensor sent the question back to Germany never to be returned. Check the equipment with the supplier there. MSA promised there sirius gas detector with PID would identify the likely 10 VOC's! If you know anything about PID's they show "something" is there not "what" is there. A quick test confirmed the claim to be unsupported.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would have to agree that staying with the Multi Rae would be the best solution. Much easier when your on the street at 3am to remember how everything works when you use the same equipment across the board.

Forum Member

We are upgrading to the RKI GX2001 right now. We were using RKI eagle and Bio systems PHD lite but the GX 2001 is about $675 /pc and are a little bigger than 3 decks of cards stacked together. We have used a couple for our maintenance crews and they like them.
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

Thread Information