Forum Member

Default PD gets TIC grant for fire rescues

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea?

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpa...480.xml&coll=1

Grant buys gear to find people trapped in fires
    Friday, May 19, 2006
    St. Tammany bureau
    The Mandeville Police Department has been awarded a $13,922 grant to buy a piece of equipment that can locate people trapped in smoke-filled buildings, U.S. Rep. Bobby Jindal, R-Kenner, has announced.

"I am pleased to announce this grant for a thermal imager to the Mandeville Police Department," Jindal, a member of the House Committee on Homeland Security, said in a news release. "Every day these law enforcement officers put their lives on the line, and this updated technology is important not only to them, but also to the citizens they serve."

A thermal imager uses heat sensors to find people trapped in burning buildings.

The Department of Homeland Security grant is made available under the Commercial Equipment Direct Assistance Program, which provides equipment to smaller law enforcement and emergency responder agencies.

Forum Member

Explination of what I meant by being a bad idea- I thought it was a bad idea for police to enter smoke filled, buring buildings to search for victims.
    Comments?
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

Forum Member

I'm a little leery...

That the PD & Congressman announced they where getting a TIC, and the news reported googled "TIC" and added in all the fire stuff themself.

There's plenty of good reasons for a PD to have a TIC w/o using rescuing people from fire as the excuse.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190
    There's plenty of good reasons for a PD to have a TIC w/o using rescuing people from fire as the excuse.
    I agree. I only had a problem with the reasons stated in the article. When I was on the FD we lent our TIC to the PD to use in searching warehouses and wooded areas for suspects. No problem there. It's the going into buring buildings part I'm concerned about.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

Forum Member

Default Bad idea

Lets see you get called to a biulding fire with people inside. Pd arrives first runs in with tic into idlh zone. Pd gets overcome with smoke and toxins passes out on floor. Now we have to rescue them and the others. This is trouble waiting to happend.
    Stay Safe and live long

MembersZone Subscriber

Rumor has it that PD's can drive by homes with a TIC and scan the house and see if there are those high intensity lamps used for growing Marijuana inside.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by osfd100
    Rumor has it that PD's can drive by homes with a TIC and scan the house and see if there are those high intensity lamps used for growing Marijuana inside.
    That is true, but the US Supreme Court ruled it was a 4th Amendment violation several years ago. They need a warrant now. And we all know that they would never ever try something like that now that the USSC has ruled on the topic

MembersZone Subscriber

What he said. The case is Kyllo v. United States

Forum Member

I think it's important to note that, according to the article, it was Rep. Jindel (who I respect very much) who made the statement about using the TIC to locate people in smoke filled buildings, not the police department. You have to remember that as a civilian, he (or his staff, which more than likely actually prepared the announcement) may only be familiar with that use of a TIC. As was pointed out by others, TICs can be used when searching for suspects or missing persons, in water rescues, as well as many other "cop" functions, which is more than likely how it will be used.

This could be a valuable tool in combined post-hurricane search and rescues ops as well, which I am sure will envolve the police department.

Forum Member

I think it's important to note that, according to the article, it was Rep. Jindel (who I respect very much) who made the statement about using the TIC to locate people in smoke filled buildings

NO!

Read the news article's english carefully -- they never quote --or-- attribute that statement directly to him.

I did go to his website, but interestingly this wasn't among the rest of his press releases to know for sure.

It really sounds like some minion in his PR department sent out the release, and someone at the paper "filled in the blanks" as to what a TIC does.

I really think we're reading too much into a piece of fluff that went from one poverty wage college graduate with a useless degree working as a very lowly PR person at Congressman's Jindals office...that got misinterpretted by another poverty wage college graduate with a useless degree working at the Times Picayune in a lowly news desk position who had to find something to fill 1.5" inches of space so the display advertising would line correctly on the page.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cellblock
    Explination of what I meant by being a bad idea- I thought it was a bad idea for police to enter smoke filled, buring buildings to search for victims.
    Comments?

Nowhere in this article did it say that the Mandeville PD was going to use the TIC to enter a smoke filled burning building, it merely stated what the most notable use for this particular piece of equipment is used for.

Would this article have been an issue if it had stated that the TIC will be used for possibly finding criminals hiding in large dark warehouses or , finding a perp that ran from an officer and hides in a wooded area..... NO!!

I cannot believe that it would be the intention of this Police Department to purchace this to go into a burning building.

I fail to see any issue with this other than congratulation on the grant for a piece of equipment may make thier job safer!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hopefully they are a true public safety department. Otherwise, I say we try to get a grant for a SWAT tank!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

There are legitimate law enforcement uses for a TIC. Among them are tactical building searches and search and rescue operations. I was involved in the investigation of a shooting and police pursuit where a recently fired revolver was tossedinto a wooded area out of the window of the suspect vehicle at night. We called the FD to the scene with the TIC and found the wepon in five minutes.

That said, it sounds as though there is a commuications problem in this town that allowed this purchase to go through and be so poorly reported on in the press. I am certain that the law enforcement agency has more pressing equipment needs than a TIC. But it doesn't mean that the PD is anti-FD, is going to take over the FD, or any of the other whacko things that some people are thinking.

Thread Information