Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Donning Tricks?

MembersZone Subscriber Rescue21D's Avatar

Default Carabiner

I like that carabiner on the mask idea. I'll have to try it when I get to work this weekend. Just goes to show, learn something useful every day.
    Captain/EMT-P

MembersZone Subscriber cdemarse's Avatar

After forgetting my mask and having to sit a fire out I knew I had to figure out a way that it wouldn't happen again. The reason I clip the ring on the mask and not the mask bag is if the mask is wet, I can still hang the mask on my coat without the bag covering it until it dries.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

Question

Im confused as to why (your mask) is not on your SCBA or are you a volunteer who graps his gear from the locker and then gets on the truck. If you are assigned to a ENG or Truck while on duty wouldnt it be better preconnected to your SCBA regulator? Just asking
    Last edited by JAFA62; 05-26-2006 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAFA62
    Im confused as to why (your mask) is not on your SCBA or are you a volunteer who graps his gear from the locker and then gets on the truck. If you are assigned to a ENG or Truck while on duty wouldnt it be better preconnected to your SCBA regulator? Just asking

call backs, POC, volunteer it would work for all. If I am working a shift then yes it connected to my regulator.
    Always Remember *343*

MembersZone Subscriber

Good question.
    Where I was, we had riding assignments, and as an officer, my spot was pretty much the same on each piece, usually the engine though.
    The person who stated earlier (different thread) that you made your time getting out the door rather than on the street is correct, and so is the person who stated that no matter what you do, if you have it down as a routine, you'll do okay. You just have to experiment with what works best for you.

When I started out, I learned the habit of getting dressed while responding. Granted, it's not the correct way now, it was faster then the guy who had to run to his rack, or the guy who had to grab his gear off the backstep.

Doing your checks when you come in to your station to ride make you fast. Check your SCBA and tool location, making sure everything is in place and ready to go. I have a trick of loosening only one strap from my facepiece after I check my mask. I also adjust my waist and shoulder straps, so when I have to don my SCBA I only had to pull one facepiece strap and connect the waist strap. I usually carried a small O-tool which I kept in the small space against the door on the floor, so it wouldn't slide across the dash. My handlight, on a seatbelt strap, was draped on the mapbook light. If we had additional crews and I had the wagon, I placed my running pants up front in the cab. I draped my coat across the SCBA, with the sleeves out, so I could slide it on without raising it up. If I wasn't wearing my portable radio, then I draped it over the inside of my coat, so that when my left arm went into the sleeve, I was already wearing the radio. I kept my helmet on the floor, this way, when I stepped out and onto the ground, my lid, and tool were at the same spot.

If we only had one crew, I kept my gear the same way, on the engine, except I placed my running pants on the bay floor. Then I could slip into them, reach up, grab my coat, radio and lid, and make my way to the truck or squad.

My hood was snapped into my running coat, just below the collar, so to don that all I had to do was reach to my shoulder and pull it over. Gloves were kept in the right coat pocket, tools in the left.

I also usually kept my ear flaps down, that way my lid would fit snug with the facepiece on, or my hearing would be somewhat protected from resetting bells.

Again, whatever becomes routine and comfortable for you will work best. Just never be in such a hurry that you can't think straight.

William Carey
    Last edited by bcarey; 05-27-2006 at 10:45 PM.
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB
    What is taught at our Probie school now is:

Chin Stap on the helmet (a milwakee zip type I think it is) is always out....and face mask netting is already set up so that you only have to pull the bottom right strap to complete the fitting. Also the face piece is already hooked up to the regulator....

1: HOld breathe, Place Face piece to face with Left hand....There will be a bend in the arm.....

2: With right hand....pull helmet over left hand and let it hang by the stap in your left arm.

3: keeping Left and and face piece pressed to your face....pull netting over your head and hood up.

4: pull helmet back over left hand and face piece

5: take left hand away from face piece, breathe and pull chin strap tight

When done right and practiced...it takes about 10-15 seconds to do
    I read this if FH magazine...it's the way I do it now. 8 seconds is my record. I drilled on it for three hours one night, till I had it perfected.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

I got my socks sitting inside the tops of my boots, Same as RFRD I keep the suspenders tucked in the tops of the boots..My hood is strapped in with the neck strap I got on my gear. And lastly left glove in left pocket..and well you can figure out the rest I'm sure...

As for donning..As most others have said...Get it the hell on and get outta dodge....You'll figure out whats best for you
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 05-30-2006 at 09:12 PM.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by pfd4life
    I read this if FH magazine...it's the way I do it now. 8 seconds is my record. I drilled on it for three hours one night, till I had it perfected.
    That's right...it was in one of the trade mags....but I couldn't remember which one.
    IACOJ Member

What do you mean the netting strap is already set up. I have a SCOTT AV3000 with to straps and 4 pull handles.Do you tie off the ends and leave the one lose? Would like to learn what you mean. And the helmet over the arm instead of off the back is AWESOME. Good stuff Vinnie its an awesome technique.

What do you mean the netting strap is already set up. I have a SCOTT AV3000 with to straps and 4 pull handles.Do you tie off the ends and leave the one lose? Would like to learn what you mean. And the helmet over the arm instead of off the back is AWESOME. Good stuff Vinnie its an awesome technique.

Ok you have four straps. So put your facepiece on and properly tighten it down. Now loosen the right side straps only. Next time you put your facepiece on all you need to do is tighten the right side, as the left is set.

I have a MSA facepiece and it has 5 straps, 2 each side and one on top. I preset the top and top left and right. So I just have to tighten the bottom two.
    Always Remember *343*

Thumbs up Good Stuff

Thanks I will deffently try that next shift. Great ideas on here all the time.

JAFA62
    LETS GO OILERS..

Forum Member

I just walk around in my bunker pants all day, like Denis Leary on Rescue Me.

ok, a serious contribution...

When you have all your gear sitting nice and pretty, ready for quick donning, keep your hood on top of your boots. It's the first thing I put on, unless the call is something less serious, in which case I just grab it and hook it to my coat en-route.

My $0.02.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kswartz79
    I just walk around in my bunker pants all day, like Denis Leary on Rescue Me.

ok, a serious contribution...

When you have all your gear sitting nice and pretty, ready for quick donning, keep your hood on top of your boots. It's the first thing I put on, unless the call is something less serious, in which case I just grab it and hook it to my coat en-route.

My $0.02.
    The hood on the boot is a good idea alot of guys do that method but I see them usally putting it in there pokets if not needed then forgetting about it. I keep mine in my helmet and it will never fall out.And I never do a job with out my bucket

The hood on the boot is a good idea alot of guys do that method but I see them usally putting it in there pokets if not needed then forgetting about it. I keep mine in my helmet and it will never fall out.And I never do a job with out my bucket
    never say never
    Always Remember *343*

Your right it may fall out of my helmet but as for doing a job with out my helmet the word never is truly what I meant. Medicals no helmet but any type of rescue to fire alarm ALWAYS

Forum Member

Thumbs up Thanks dmleblanc...!

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc
    Probably the most important thing you can do to get dressed out in a hurry is to make sure your gear is ready...that is, figure out what works best for you then set up your gear that way, every time. You do it the same way every time and practice it enough, it becomes automatic and you don't have to think about it.

I disagree with RFRDExplorer about putting the suspenders between the boots...that's OK if you're just toting your gear around, but if you're not paying attention you could step in your boots, pull up your pants and give yourself a suspender wedgie. And even if you ARE paying attention, you still have to take a couple of seconds to move the suspenders.

I prefer to have the suspenders draped on the outside of the boots, but make sure they're not under the boots so you're standing on them when you try to pull up, because that's almost as bad as the wedgie. I'll usually roll my waistband back up around the boot tops and let the velcro fly hold it there, and tuck the suspenders down in there so you don't trip on them while donning.

Also, make sure to put your nomex hood on before putting on the coat....saves a few seconds trying to tuck it into your collar if you put it on afterwards.

I prefer to keep my gloves in a clip or strap on the outside of the gear, not in a pocket, because after you don SCBA sometimes it's hard to get to the pockets for your gloves (thigh pockets on your pants aren't so bad for this, I'm thinking more of coat pockets here...)

Speaking of Nomex hoods, I like to keep mine laying right on top of the pants, between the boots, so it's the first thing I grab and put on as I'm stepping into my boots.
    dmleblanc.. Thanks for doing such a great job explain how I too don my gear!! All the way down to where the suspenders are draped and the fact that the hood goes on first.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Thread Information