Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question FWD , Duplex , or Spartan ?

Can anyone tell what chassis cab this Aerialscope fire apparatus is built on, this unit is for sale and we need to know the make ! Thanks, NJFFII
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 03-03-2007 at 07:21 PM.

Fwd All The Way Baby!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Based on the exact twin to that truck on http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html...rialscopes.htm (see the two Viligant Fire Co. trucks, not quite 1/2 way down) that truck looks to be a FWD. Its listed on the website as a FWD/Baker/Salusbury

The trucks that i'm refering to are:
    Great Neck, New York Ladder 8322
    Great Neck, New York Ladder 22

Edit: FWDbuff... you beat me by about 30 seconds... lol
    Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by HFRH28
    Based on the exact twin to that truck on http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html...rialscopes.htm (see the two Viligant Fire Co. trucks, not quite 1/2 way down) that truck looks to be a FWD. Its listed on the website as a FWD/Baker/Salusbury

The trucks that i'm refering to are:
    Great Neck, New York Ladder 8322
    Great Neck, New York Ladder 22

Edit: FWDbuff... you beat me by about 30 seconds... lol
    That is the exact truck with all the lettering & decals on it, this Aerialscope is selling for $ 315,000 and has only ( 8,900 ) miles on her , what do you guys think!.... Good deal or not. A 2006 is selling for over $ 900,000. Thanks, Guys

Forum Member

what about hours on the ladder itself?
    Seems like a great deal....a steal in fact

What year is it?

Not that I want to take it from you, but where is it listed for sale? I saw it on ebay about 2 weeks ago, exact same truck.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AFD2181
    what about hours on the ladder itself?
    Seems like a great deal....a steal in fact

What year is it?
    The truck is a 1993 FWD/Baker/ Sausbury 95 ft Aerialscope , Don't know how many hours are on the ladder but it was not used by a large city fire deptment like the F.D.N.Y. !... We paid $ 225,000 for our 1985 Ex- FDNY rebuilt 75ft scope 20 years ago.

Forum Member

I am trying to put together information & pictures of this Aerialscope so we can present it to the board of commisoners at there next months meeting to see if the rig can be approved or denied for purchase . We can only give it a try !....
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 05-22-2006 at 06:41 PM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If it has the current aerial and pump certs, is not rusting out anywhere, and mechanically sound that's a heck of a deal. 8900 miles and most of the drivetrain is still getting warmed up.

Include in your presentation the cost of a similarly equipped new truck from more than one manufacturer, as well as the potential decrease in ISO score (more benefits to the taxpayers, i.e. the real bosses). Be sure to start off with the reason y'all need an aerial in the first place. I gone over a couple of presentations for people that didn't do well in their quest because they never stated the reasons they needed _____ in the first place despite a good presentation otherwise. After getting done, when you're stunned by the question of "what basis is there for our need for _____ other than your opinion?", that doesn't boost the confidence of anyone that the FD is asking for a need rather than just asking for a new truck to spend money. If you can't fully explain why it's needed, the audience won't buy into it.

The days of "we're the FD, we need this" are long gone.

Good luck in your quest.

- Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

NewJerseyFFII, It just so happens that iI saved the pictures from when I saw it on ebay a few weeks ago. (I guess being a FWD/Aerialscope fan pays off) If you want them, give me a yell with an email address and i'll send them your way. In the pictures that were on ebay, it still had the Viligant Fire Co. logos all over it.

Forum Member

Thanks for the offer to send me some photos , but I printed two pictures from the web site of the Great Neck Viligant Fire Co. with all the lettering & decals on the truck. Thanks, NJFFII

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    If it has the current aerial and pump certs, is not rusting out anywhere, and mechanically sound that's a heck of a deal. 8900 miles and most of the drivetrain is still getting warmed up.

Include in your presentation the cost of a similarly equipped new truck from more than one manufacturer, as well as the potential decrease in ISO score (more benefits to the taxpayers, i.e. the real bosses). Be sure to start off with the reason y'all need an aerial in the first place. I gone over a couple of presentations for people that didn't do well in their quest because they never stated the reasons they needed _____ in the first place despite a good presentation otherwise. After getting done, when you're stunned by the question of "what basis is there for our need for _____ other than your opinion?", that doesn't boost the confidence of anyone that the FD is asking for a need rather than just asking for a new truck to spend money. If you can't fully explain why it's needed, the audience won't buy into it.

The days of "we're the FD, we need this" are long gone.

Good luck in your quest.

- Brian
    Our board of fire commisoners is made up from active & retired firefighters , and tax payers living in town a total of five people .We have a 1972/1985 Mack CF open cab Baker/Aerialscope 75ft model in service at this time . A few guys on the department are just looking to upgrade to a newer truck with a four door cab , Automatic trans , heat , cooling, etc !....

Knowing the rest of the FWD/Aerialscope buffs on here, i'll post them anyways.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

a few more.....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII
    Our board of fire commisoners is made up from active & retired firefighters , and tax payers living in town a total of five people .We have a 1972/1985 Mack CF open cab Baker/Aerialscope 75ft model in service at this time . A few guys on the department are just looking to upgrade to a newer truck with a four door cab , Automatic trans , heat , cooling, etc !....
    That's certainly better than a pile of people with no familiarity with the fire service, but if they are like most Boards their job is to protect the interests of the taxpayer first. Which means don't buy things without solid cost-benefit. One sticky wicket on the board with a friend in the media will pile the residents against you in a heartbeat. Seen it many times. It's the same as the grants game: you need to present your case like you're only talking to your most staunch opponent. (My favorite term is C-E-nO.) That way nothing is left on the table and no one can take issue with the purchase.

I can't see how they would with the price being 1/3 of a new truck, but I know the price of trucks and the importance of a solid ladder company on the fireground. To the average bear, it's just a different truck that does the same thing as the old one, and $300K is a lot of dough. The cost-benefit comparison is missing in their minds.

Believe me, I hope you don't have any problems, I'm just being the voice of insanity because I've seen too many good deals lost because of the presenter taking the situation for granted that it was a done deal.

Good luck and keep us posted.

- Brian

Forum Member

The only problem that may happen is there is no money left in the capital budget , we purchased a new pumper last year and that cleaned out most of the funds. Also a new $ 125,000 trunked radio system must be installed sometime this year in all of the fire districts in our township, we used capital moneys from our future truck fund to cover the mandated radio system cost. To purchase a new or used fire apparatus the department would have to take out a tax exzempt loan or lease purchase from a lending company on a 10 year lease !...

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by HFRH28
    Knowing the rest of the FWD/Aerialscope buffs on here, i'll post them anyways.
    Do you have any idea what type,model , make, Aerial fire apparatus the Great Neck FD purchased to replace the 1993 FWD/Baker Aerialscope ? Is it a Midmount " Pierce, E-One , Sutphen ,Seagrave, Kme, ALf " !...

Forum Member

Thread Information