Forum Member

Default High School senior looking for info.

I am about to graduate and want to join the military to serve my country but also want to come out with a good firefighting backround. I am looking into the airforce and was wondering how hard it is to get fire protection apprentice. I got a 80 on my asvab and was a varsity football player and wreslter(used to phyically demanding jobs). Just need some advice on if I am looking into the right branch or not and what to ask the recruiter. thanks for all of your help.

Forum Member

I am not sure about the airforce, But the army is doing away with "Firefighters" there giving that position to mainly civilian people.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

The Airforce has some great FireFighters but I honestly do not know how hard the gig is to get. As BD mentioned, the future of FireFighting in the service may not be all that great. Except the Navy, they can't do away with FireFighting.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Forum Member

None of the services are "getting rid" of FFs. The Marines actually gained some more a couple of years ago due to their employment in the Chemical Biological Incident Response Force's Rescue Platoon. The Army is reorganizing their firefighting units, and the DoD as a whole is contracting for fire protection overseas due to the shortage of military firefighters. All military FFs go to the same school at Goodfellow AFB in TX and get the same certifications.

As far as getting firefighting jobs in the military, I have some bad news. An ASVAB score of 80 is too low for the USMC (I believe a 95 is required), and may be too low for the Air Force. The Navy has very few dedicated firefighters, the job is mostly seen as part of the damage controlman (DC) specialty. Army firefighters are generally very dissatisfied with the way they are employed-mostly because they are seen as generic manpower to be used for details most of the time. The Federal and Military Forum has a lot of info on the services, how to guarantee the job with the recruiter, and the fire school.

http://forums.firehouse.com/forumdis...prune=20&f=300

Forum Member

what to ask the recruiter.

Ask your recruitor everything...
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

thank guys for all the info i will let you know how it goes.

MembersZone Subscriber

I tried to join the AF...it's a good path to take, I just couldn't do to back problems. Make sure you ask the recruiter EVERYTHING, my brother got taken to the cleaners by his...just ask all the Q's you can. If possible get everything in writing you can.

MembersZone Subscriber

Whatever a recruiter promises you GET IT IN WRITING it can make a big difference. Good luck whatever you choose.
    Last edited by 5pts384; 06-03-2006 at 11:05 PM.
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by backdraft663
    I am not sure about the airforce, But the army is doing away with "Firefighters" there giving that position to mainly civilian people.
    Thats how its worked up here in Canada....Only Airforce bases have Military FF's where the Army bases and Dockyards have Civilians doing the job
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

I was in AF firefighting from '98 to '03.

1. Be prepared for a waiting list. You may be in the DEP program for six months, maybe even up to a year.

2. Get it guaranteed in writing. When the recruiter tells you to go in "open general," or "open mechanical," and that "you can choose firefighting when you get to basic," do not beleive him. This is a ploy to fill all the unwanted jobs in the AF. If you go in "open" anything, you will not become a firefighter. Most likely a cook or Security Forces.

3. You can re-take the ASVAB again at MEPS. Do it. They will accept the higher of the two scores.

4. You will deploy sometime in your career, even if you're only in for four years. I was deployed 3 times. BUT - the fire dawgs usually have it very well in the desert.

5. Have fun. If you make it, you'll have the time of your life. Good luck.

Thread Information