Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Value of used SCBA

Greetings to all!!

Hope everyone is well and safe. My department was fortunate enought to receive an AFG grant last year and we replaced our SCBA's. We are a small department and funds are tight, as they are for everyone. We have a med. rescue/utlility vehicle to replace and we'd like to recoup what we can for the used SCBA's.

They're MSA mmr's with the integrated PASS device (we have 8). They're approx. 8 yrs. old, with aluminum 2216 psi bottles (we'd sell them with or without the cylinders). They've been professionally maintained by an MSA dealer yearly. Some have never seen fire.

I'm not looking to sell these over the forums. I was looking through our options to advertise them. To my surprise the firehouse classifieds are empty. I wanted to get an idea, about what these were worth, to advertise them properly.

I was looking for some input from around the rest of the country. If anyone could pass along what they've seen advertised I'd appreciate it. I didn't want to spend the money for the classified until I had an idea of their value.

Thanx!!
    Stay Safe!

Scott
    Bellona Vol. Fire Co.

"There are three kinds of people, those that learn by reading; the few that learn by observation and the ones that have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - anon.

We are replacing ours as well and did a little investigating of this option. Personally, I think your SOL. No one was willing to purchase the "older" equipment as it was nowhere near current NFPA standards. We looked at smaller departments that may not worry about such things, but they did not have enough money to buy anything. Best deal we found was when buying the new, we made sure the vendor would take the old ones and offer a trade in value for each. Good luck with your endeavor.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

We replaced all of ours about 6 months ago with MSA; we donated all of our old SCBA equipment to a neighboring dept since reselling them would be virtually impossible. We considered the trade-in option but we felt that since we were getting our new stuff for %20 of the cost, we should share with our Brothers in the area.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanx for the reply, I am inclined to agree with you but I had to gather all the info I could before I made the suggestion of donating them. I'm the messenger, not the one making the decisions.
    Stay Safe!

Scott
    Bellona Vol. Fire Co.

"There are three kinds of people, those that learn by reading; the few that learn by observation and the ones that have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - anon.

If you're desperate for $, try ebay. There are SCBA on there all the time, sold as collectibles, not for fireground use. Some whacker will buy them. Maybe $50-100 each. There is also the possibility of donating to Helping Our Own, or to the guy looking for gear for Honduras.

http://www.helpingourown.org/

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=81725

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv
    If you're desperate for $, try ebay. There are SCBA on there all the time, sold as collectibles, not for fireground use. Some whacker will buy them. Maybe $50-100 each. There is also the possibility of donating to Helping Our Own, or to the guy looking for gear for Honduras.

http://www.helpingourown.org/

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=81725
    We also replaced our fleet last year and I contacted helping our own at that time. They expressed interest and told me they'd be in touch when they had a truck in the area... no word. I call them every 6 mos or so and they claim to be interested... so they're tucked away until they get a truck here I guess.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1
    We also replaced our fleet last year and I contacted helping our own at that time. They expressed interest and told me they'd be in touch when they had a truck in the area... no word. I call them every 6 mos or so and they claim to be interested... so they're tucked away until they get a truck here I guess.
    We passed on to Helping Our Own some OLD Scott 2.2. Took at least a year and multiple emails before they finally got here to pickup.

We purchased new NXG2 with fire grant last year. Dealer was willing to give us $100 trade in on our 8x MSA that were about the same as those above (no integral PASS). We just kept them at that price. Not sure what we are going to do with them. One is going to the sewer dept for emergency gear at the sewer lift station (confined space/sewer gas/etc).

MembersZone Subscriber

We gave our old scbas to another small VFD, they only had two and now have enough to go inside leagely.
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Thread Information