Thread: Wetting Agent?

Forum Member

Default Wetting Agent?

Anyone using Cold Fire? Your thoughts/experiences?
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

MembersZone Subscriber

We use Fire Aid at a short track (stock cars) i volunteer at. Pretty impressive stuff on fuel, fluid and tire fires. Makes a little water go a long way.
    earl

MembersZone Subscriber

fire aid, can you email where you get that stuff and how much it costs, the race track i work at is looking into getting cold fire or pyro cap136, or something that we can batch mix

Forum Member

Anyone use it in a 'water can'?
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Forum Member

We use FireAide and F-500 both work well. We also use both in a water can. We mix 1 quart to 1 3/4 gallon of water. Works great!

MembersZone Subscriber

beau--I'll try to find out Friday night when i'm there.

BigRig--I've only used it in water cans. The first time i saw it was a demo where diesel was used to ignite a tire--full burn. Fire was out in seconds.

earl

Forum Member

We use F500 in water cans and in batch mix in all engines and brush rigs. A little water goes a long way!!

Forum Member

Default Firestopper

Dang!!!!!!!!!

Double post.
    Last edited by cityfire7; 05-24-2006 at 11:19 AM.
    Stupid People.......Providing Job Security to Public Safety Professionals for ........forever

Forum Member

Default Firestopper

You may be interested in taking a look at these guys. They make the concentrate AND the delivery systems for them. http://www.extremetechnologiescorp.com/ (videos on the left)

(more videos) http://www.extremetechnologiescorp.com/preview/

I personnally use FireStopper in a 2-1/2Gal PWC. I have one with an air aspirating nozzle and one without. This stuff works great in a mix of .25% to 100%. AND it requires no special labeling or chronic health hazard warning statements and is in compliance with FHSA regulations, 16 CFR 1500 and California Proposition 65.

Greenacres, you mentioned a demo of a tire burning with some diesel? Take a look at the video of their tire fire demo. (117 Semi truck tires).

I have personally put out a pile of 12 tires started with two gallons of diesel (after a good three minute pre-burn) with a can. We tried this with other concentrates (side-by-side) and none could come close.
    Stupid People.......Providing Job Security to Public Safety Professionals for ........forever

Forum Member

Question

If you're using water cans, do you feel the need for air-aspirating nozzles? Do they indeed make a difference?

Does batch mixing alter the pumping process, i.e. foaming?
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigRig
    If you're using water cans, do you feel the need for air-aspirating nozzles? Do they indeed make a difference?

Does batch mixing alter the pumping process, i.e. foaming?
    Air aspirating nozzles work great for forming a nice foam blanket. Using a non-aspirating nozzle(straight tip) is good for distributing the agent on a wider area. (With the can) I put a finger tip over the hose tip to get almost a mist spray. This allows for pretreating (fire barrier) and for car fires (2-1/2gallon can = well involved passenger compartment- car fire). Using a standard fog nozzle doesn't produce much of a blanket but it get that "dishwater" look.

We have tried batch mixing with success. As you will see if you click the link on my previous post, the foam production is not necessary for the FireStopper. In most of the field tests and the UL test preparations a skid pump was used with 250 gallons batch mixed at 2-6%.

The only drawback that I have seen to batch mixing is that you shouldn't batch mix FireStopper in aluminum tanks. All other tank material is fine.

Forum Member

Arrow

Anyone using a self contained pressurized unit, say 30-50 gallons on a rescue squad for emergency knockdown use? Obviously this would be in addition to an engine co. response.
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Forum Member

Default aspy nozzles

if you already have the water can shell you should be able to get the (replacement nozzle)(aspy) from fireade source.com it wont cost as much as buying a water can with asp nozzle (just buy the nozzle from them.)not the [{shell}]

thanks for reading

Forum Member

Hey, ya' know what sucks? Spammers.

Forum Member

Default foam

you are a great help.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

massfire...

You couldn't possibly be less subtle about selling your product.

Beautiful. Stop spamming and buy an ad.

FyredUp

Forum Member

Default Foam

Not selling anything. We use it

Im done

Web Team notified through firecom

Forum Member

Smile Cold Fire

Yes, we use it in all three of our engines and the local land fill keeps 500 gallons of concentrate on site because they use shredded tires as part of the land fill. It works very well on Class A and B fires and on magnesium, titanium and aluminum (at a 10% solution).
    A battery manufacturer in my haz mat teams response area has experimented using Cold Fire on lithium fires. They went to a 30% solution and put the fire out, but in a well ventilated area because in the 10 gallon bucket experiment the build up of hydrogen gas was enough to cause a small explosion.
    I also use it at the International Race track that I volunteer at. We've been using it there since 1995, long before IRL made it their concentrate of choice.
    It works very well in a 2.5 gallon extinguisher. I personally have put out a working 4 door sedan car fire with two cans mixed to a 10% solution. Two of the three truck we use on the track have Cold Fire premixed to about 6% in the booster tanks, good enough to put out xylene, toulune or benzene and well past the 3% needed for most Class B fires. We routinely soak not only the car that is on fire, but the driver if there is a fire in the drivers compartment.
    Cold Fire, like any other concentrate, can only be effective if properly applied in enough GPM to put out the fire. Just remember the 3 P's of foam:
    Pressure
    Pre-plan
    Practice
    We have found that our water usage at a fire has dropped dramitically since we started using Cold Fire.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

Thread Information