Thread: SAFER Questions

Forum Member

Default SAFER Questions

For the well informed:

Is there a matching requirement for a recruitment and retention program?

Does anyone have a sample of some successful SAFER recruitment narratives? I was searching past winners and I see that some are awarded in the $40,000 range (I would assume some sort of incentives/retention) and some are awarded over $250,000. What types of programs would that money be for?

I am already prepared to apply for what we need, I'm just curious with the variances of award amounts.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

John,

No matching for R&R each of the 4 years but the 5th has to be entirely funded by the VFD. This is not a 4 and out like the Texans the performance period is 5 years.

Programs awarded included marketing campaigns, junior/explorer programs, scholarships, insurance, and a whole host of other programs. I think I found at least one from each of the eligible categories in SAFER, so the awards were very diverse. But don't forget that any program you design has to be supported with reasoning why it would work in YOUR area, not how it works somewhere else, same as with any other grant application. Saying that NVFC found that yearly physicals were a good recruiting tool helps, but if everyone in the department already has health insurance that includes annual or bi-annual physicals, the grant award won't have much of an effect. But if lack of workman's comp is seen as a reason that people leave because their families won't be taken care of, that's a different story. Whatever is done should have a basis in the membership. Exit interviews of people leaving are valuable tools used in business all of the time. Asking applicants that don't join what their reasons are will also shed some light on what may need to be done differently that could help script an R&R project.

- Brian

MembersZone Subscriber

The period of performance for our R&R grant is listed as 4 years.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Yes, that's the period of performance for the grant assistance itself. The idea is to go into it that the department will fully fund it beyond Year 4. If you do not have a plan to continue that included in the narrative it might not do so well. That's part of the complete solution package that is being looked for. One of those nuances that never gets mentioned. Most awards in R&R had the long range planning included.

Which makes sense because what good will it do you to either recruit for 4 years and retain those people for 4 years, only to have the assistance end after 4 years, drop the programs you created with the grant, and have everyone take off because the perks are gone and call volume went up 10% a year.

Some awards didn't mention long range continuance of the project, just like some other awards in AFG were not exactly what was being looked for and were still awarded. Lucky is nice, but good will take home more dough in the long run.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info Brian. I'll shoot you an e-mail.

Forum Member

Default Narratives

Does anyone have any sample narratives that they can e-mail me. I am looking at hireing 3 Firefighter. If you can help please send to kmoulton@zonetonfire.com Thanks.

Kevin Moulton
    Assistant Chief
    Zonetonfire District

Thread Information