MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Exclamation Why We Wear Ppe?

I got this from the latest issue of Canadian Forces Safety Digest:

“PPE” Has a Double Meaning

This US Naval Safety Center “Photo of the Week” isn’t a warning about the dangers of nail guns, although that would seem to be a likely topic. Rather, it is a testimonial to the importance of wearing safety goggles.

A firefighter was working with a chain saw on a roof when he hit a nail that had missed the rafter. The chainsaw shot the nail upward, hitting the firefighter’s eye protection, The nail deflected into nearest soft tissue, embedding itself a half-inch into his nose. Doctors treated a fractured bone and he was back at work the next day.

Although his injury was very painful, he is smiling in the photo and has every reason to be happy. He was one precaution away from wearing an eye patch and seeing things in one dimension for the rest of his life.

This firefighter obviously knows both meanings of “PPE” – “Personal Protective Equipment” and “Precautions Preserve Eyesight.”

Source: US Naval Safety Center
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

This was also on Firefighter Close calls a while back.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by REVANANT
    This was also on Firefighter Close calls a while back.

Yep..........
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

I wish it said what the eye protection was though I'm guessing it was either bourkes goggles or safety glasses. Had he been wearing a FACESHIELD, which I obiously advocate, he would have quite possibly faced no more than being started by the nail hitting the sheild.

But I'm glad he's alright none the less
    "You choose to go voluntarily into the fire. The blaze might well destroy you. But if you survive, every blow of the hammer will serve to shape your being. Every drop of water wrung from you will temper and strengthen your soul." Margaret Weis

Paul Richardson
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    OVFD unit# 343/SLVFD unit# 610

Dispatch Dweller
    On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

Definite eye-opener, if you'll excuse the pun there. Kind of an old incident captured in the USN Safety Center pic of the week...

http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/pho...ve/default.htm
    --jay.

Permanently Removed

And guess what, that Firefighter was wearing a Phenix fire helmet too. Help save his bacon.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Hmmm speaking of Phenix lids, we had a notice come through email from the County regarding the new Phenix helmets. Since they came "on the line" a few months back there have been reports of the suspension system becoming disconnected from the outter shell, and cases where the brim has cracked under fire conditions.

I don't have that msg here in the office, to clarify much better than that, but was just wondering if anyone Out There has had any problems. I haven't been issued one yet, so this is just academic at this point.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul343
    I wish it said what the eye protection was though I'm guessing it was either bourkes goggles or safety glasses. Had he been wearing a FACESHIELD, which I obiously advocate, he would have quite possibly faced no more than being started by the nail hitting the sheild.

But I'm glad he's alright none the less

And if he had been wearing the FACESHIELD, it just as easily could have passed beneath the shield taking his eye. (it really depends on the angle he was holding his head)

Glad to see he had only a minor injury.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Thread Information