MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cops writing BS tickets

Hey guys I just wanted to drop a little story for ya (name and dept. to follow after my court case), thought you might be amused...and hey maybe you guys will have the pleasure of running across this clown, maybe one day he'll need my/our help.

My girlfriend recently moved home from college and to a remote location out in the sticks. I was coming back to my house on late night with her, and I recieved a total BS ticket. I was stopped at a stop sign in on a country road for about 30 seconds while we were talking about something. I looked up in my mirror and saw a car coming, so I said "uh oh a car I better go". I turned right and took off from the stop sign. About 10 seconds after turning right a scout car flys up behind me with his lights on. I pull over, wondering what the hell is going on. He stops behind me and promptly greets me at my window like the fine gentleman he is. "Good evening and welcome to *@#$! Township, you obviously know why I pulled you over", he says. "No I don't I had just turned here and you immediatley stopped me, so I'm not sure", I said. He goes on to let me know I "ran" the stop sign and to give him my lic, reg, and insurance info. Before approaching my window he paused and shined his light on my IAFF sticker, I also showed him my badge as well upon getting my lic. out of my wallet. He looks at my FD credentials and said "that's nice, I don't need that". Long story shortened: He writes me a ticket for running a stop sign I was stopped at for about 30 seconds. My soon to be father in-law who's a retired LEO calls him and notifies him I was helping him move, and was truly innocent; this is just a mistake. This kid (not much older than me) informs him that he's been on the job for 1.5 years and "he's the officer and has his last word). He also noted that the main reason he decided to write me was because I am a FF/medic...

I hope this guy never needs my help, or any of my friends help. Let me know if you'd like his name after my court case, I'm sure he'd like to be treated with the same professional courtesy that he treated me with.

Forum Member

So let me get this straight...you catch one tiny bad break and now you want to come on a firefighting Internet board to cry about it? Worse yet, you're willing to publicly and recklessly disclose a LEO's name and dept because he wrote you an insignificant little summons?

As far as you flashing him your badge and having your girlfriend's father actually call him to plead your case, I don't blame him for sticking to his guns. Take it like a man.

Here is some free advice for you: Grow up, and develop some callouses on that paper thin skin of yours.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, as a matter of fact...I am. The AUDACITY of that guy to pull a BS move like that on top of the BS ticket to someone else in public safety, is in my eyes pathetic. Telling a retired officer of 29 yrs that you wrote his soon to be son in-law a ticket, JUST BECAUSE he is a firefighter (not to mention being a disrespectful punk and letting him know "I'm the officer here"). Writing tickets based upon personal motives, or just because he doesn't get along with the guys in his FD maybe? I don't know about everyone else but I show respect to my superiors at work, and those superior to me that I don't even work with; but not to this clown. Am I maybe a bit immature, yep...am I a total hot head, maybe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

It is apparrent that the young man thinks his badge is a free pass. All the badge gets is an awesome job and free coffee. Grow up, meet the officer in court, plead your case to the judge and have a nice day.

Really, dude you had your girlfriends dad call...

Al

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bradwyatt
    I was stopped at a stop sign in on a country road for about 30 seconds while we were talking about something. I looked up in my mirror and saw a car coming, so I said "uh oh a car I better go". I turned right and took off from the stop sign.

I hope this guy never needs my help, or any of my friends help. Let me know if you'd like his name after my court case, I'm sure he'd like to be treated with the same professional courtesy that he treated me with.
    Did you use your turn signal? Did you speed when you took off? And what were you doing that caused you to take off?

Sounds to me like a COC charge or Contempt of Cop Charge. You opened your mouth got on the Officers nerves. And he wrote you a ticket. Grow up. Stop Crying about it. And saying you hope he never needs your help? You're a fire fighter you help people it don't matter who they are. Just because he might have been unprofessional doesn't mean that you have to be.

And what is the point of offering to give out his name?
    FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

UMMMM.....What would you like for us to do for you? Get you a tissue??? Get over it, and like some others said meet the office in court. And yes he was the officer so it was his call, not for your soon to be Father-inlaws. If the Judge finds in your favor, good for you, if not pay the fine and move on with your life.

Forum Member

Where I come from, Cops dont write up firemen (unless they did something really bad.....) PERIOD. It is considered VERBOTEN. That being said,

1. Did you act calmly when he approached your car, placing your hands on the wheel in plain sight, with your windows rolled down, and remained still? Or did you move around, grab your wallet before he got to you, open the glove box, move your hands constantly, etc??? Were you talking to your girl?

2. Did you just SHOW him your badge, or did you ask permission, as in "Officer, if it helps this situation, MAY I show you my badge and I.D.?"

3. Did you act polite at all times, not back-talking him at all or questioning his judgement or reasoning?

4. Gotta agree with everyone else. Having her dad call was one of the dumbass moves of all time- I may even go so far as to think you may deserve the ticket after that stunt.

Do one of two things- either suck up and pay it and move on, or request a court case and:
    A. If you face possible points on your license, see if he will let you plead to something lesser, without points -OR-
    B. If he refuses to plead down, go for broke- File a motion for a continuance, then file a motion for a discovery to find out when his last medical exam was- questioning his eyesight. File a motion for discovery of his work schedule- find out how long he was on shift that day, that week, etc. Was he tired? Did he not see you stopped there? You dont need to be an attorney to file these motions.

Sounds to me like you were flaunting the fact that you are a firefighter, as in "I'm a firefighter, you cant write me up!"

Oh, and one more thing, revealing his name in a public forum like this could very well lead you into a bag of snakes that you dont want to be in.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I didn't see where he posted the officer's name.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

You are new here, so let me start off by stating that I am a recently retired LEO. There are two things you MUST do.

1. Go immediately to the PD and file a complaint with IA. This officer should not be on the street. Oh yeah. Bring all the evidence and proof that you have that this guy targeted you for being a FF.

2. If you did not run that stop sign, plead not guilty. Go to court. You are, as of right now, innocent. The state must prove that you are guilty. Make the officer present all the evidence he has and force him to prove you were guilt yof running the stop sign. I have faith in the justice system. If you are not guilty, that is what the judge will fnd you.

BTW, for you folks that think I have lost my mind, stay tuned. He will not do either one of the above things. The whole story wreaks of self-serving lies.

Forum Member

In my opinion if you flashed your badge you were asking to get a ticket. Him stopping to look at your sticker is one thing. But never flash the badge. And I second the comment that LEO around here usually do not mess with firefighters unless they really do something stupid like flashing there badge. LOL.

Forum Member

And also I believe in some States it is a misdemenor to use influence i.e. money, family, friends, or positions to get out of a ticket. Yeah it happens all the time but it is still a crime.
    FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RES81CUE
    In my opinion if you flashed your badge you were asking to get a ticket. Him stopping to look at your sticker is one thing. But never flash the badge. And I second the comment that LEO around here usually do not mess with firefighters unless they really do something stupid like flashing there badge. LOL.

All in favor say "I".

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Default The perfect storm .....PD vs. FD

Sounds like two young men that dont have a clue. Hell throw Dad in there too.... He should have known better.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Disillusioned Subscriber

In almost 34 years as a firefighter, I've never, ever shown my badge in a traffic stop. While I certainly wouldn't turn down an officer's decision to issue me a warning, I certainly don't expect a pass because of my badge. An expectation of special treatmentr because of your position as a firefighter is simply unethical.

I've got a couple of thoughts about this statement:
    I hope this guy never needs my help, or any of my friends help.
    I could give a **** less if a cop gives me a ticket. If he ever needs me, he gets my best effort. Your insinuation that you would do otherwise would make me seriously question your reasons for doing this job, not to mention your professionalism.

Let me know if you'd like his name after my court case, I'm sure he'd like to be treated with the same professional courtesy that he treated me with.
    That's just simply irresponsible.

Unethical, unprofessional, and irresponsible seem to pretty well describe the whole situation....and I don't mean the cop.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

And I second the comment that LEO around here usually do not mess with firefighters unless they really do something stupid like flashing there badge. LOL.

All you need is some respect. "Flashing the badge" is downright tacky.

I did get asked to show a FD ID once on a traffic stop in Mass since I had a blue light (which is law enforcement in MA).

Funny thing is, I've been pulled over 4 times in MA over the last 14 years or so and never got a bit of flack from the Police officer over my blue lights (except for the one who asked if I had credentials, which I did). 3 warnings, and 1 ticket I did manage to beat (the only citation I've ever challenged -- ironically for running a stop sign...kept my mouth shut during the stop, took photos of his obstructed view the next day).

A little respect -- including lack of arrogance -- will get you a long way. Used to hear the "war stories" of other FFs getting tickets, etc for their blue lights. Funny thing is, most of the guys I knew firsthand who got tickets over their blue lights where the badge flashing kind of people.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Uh Huh..............

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    You are new here, so let me start off by stating that I am a recently retired LEO. There are two things you MUST do.

1. Go immediately to the PD and file a complaint with IA. This officer should not be on the street. Oh yeah. Bring all the evidence and proof that you have that this guy targeted you for being a FF.

2. If you did not run that stop sign, plead not guilty. Go to court. You are, as of right now, innocent. The state must prove that you are guilty. Make the officer present all the evidence he has and force him to prove you were guilt yof running the stop sign. I have faith in the justice system. If you are not guilty, that is what the judge will fnd you.

BTW, for you folks that think I have lost my mind, stay tuned. He will not do either one of the above things. The whole story wreaks of self-serving lies.
    No George, you haven't lost it, you're right on target.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by allkesl
    All the badge gets is an awesome job and free coffee.
    Aaawww Man, I got jipped on both counts. The job sucked and I never got free coffee.
    Too late now.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

Forum Member

Well i guess i get to see both sides of this story, I'm a FF, and a LEO.

If your a cop and you flash your badge in a disrespectful way you probably will get a ticket from a cop,so it doesnt matter if you a FF or LEO. Theirs correct ways to do things. I have got stopped numerous times as a LEO and a FF and NEVER showed my badge to the cop until he asked for it, since i told him they was a loaded weapon in the vehicle and he began to question why. I've written FF tickets before for being disrespectful and just not taking a flat out waring on Careless Driving to a fire call almost causing accidents and injury, and having some devices on vehicles forbibben by law in louisiana.

As being a LEO, i dont think the cop wrote you a ticket because you were a FF but maybe because you made to known that you were a FF a little to much. If you saw him stop and look at that sticker what else does he need to know hes not stupid he'll know what the sticker is. Go to court, pled your case if you have a good one the system will go in your favor. As you your Pops calling him i would have done the same thing telling you pops i'm the officer who issued the citation and i felt it was nessessary in the case, and if he needed any further information to contact my supervior. I dont think this is a war that needs to be started, i dont know where you live but here cops help FFs just as much as FFs help cops we are brothers and sometimes a cops job may make them look "hot headed and a *******" but its their job just like its your job to save his *** if he needs it based on no bias.

Cant we all just get along?

MembersZone Subscriber

Another thing to consider...

More and more patrol cars are being equipped with dash mounted video camera. If you make a Broadway production out of flashing that badge and it is captured on video, you remove the discretion the officer has. You make it appear as if he is showing favoritism-something he doesn't want on video. Bank on getting a ticket.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I know this wont help any, but back in November, coming home from a visit to my sister in Tennessee, I got "hit" with a $200.00 fine for speeding down the 81 near Roanoak. The very nice (and I do mean that sincerely) trooper got both my US State Department licence and my US State department ID (which we locally refer to as our "Get Out of Jail Free" card).

The entire conversation was very cordial, as it should have been, however he became a bit startled when my dog kinda poked his nose over my left shoulder That was a "Kodak Moment" LOL.

Short story is: My State Dept ID and licence did not help - nor did I expect it to. Just as I knew that my Canadian Forces ID or FD ID would not have helped. Still got the ticket and fine, AND got to see the Troopers face when Niki stuck his head out the window (ehehheheeee ) that was my "revenge" for getting caught speeding down a Safety Corridor!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Take your lumps....its only a piece of paper with some writting on it.....its not the end of the world
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

MembersZone Subscriber

Another thing to consider...

More and more patrol cars are being equipped with dash mounted video camera. If you make a Broadway production out of flashing that badge and it is captured on video, you remove the discretion the officer has. You make it appear as if he is showing favoritism-something he doesn't want on video. Bank on getting a ticket.
    Cameras, particularly those with body mics, are wonderful. For every bad cop they expose, they catch hundreds more citizens lying. Almost without fail, when someone calls me to complain about one of our officers they drop it completely, don't follow up, or add detail they initially 'forgot' when I tell them our units are equipped with cameras and our officers wear a microphone. They also get mad 'cause they know they've been caught in a little ole fib.

George is right, this doesn't quite pass the smell test but on the slight chance it is an accurate rendition then don't moan about it on a forum - simply go to court and fight the ticket.

Forum Member

If I were a cop and a FF showed me his badge, first question out of my mouth would be "Shouldn't YOU know better as a proffessional?" Second question would be "License, insurance, registration please."
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    Where I come from, Cops dont write up firemen (unless they did something really bad.....) PERIOD. It is considered VERBOTEN.
    Ditto, cops around here have told me to make sure they can see my credentials, but don't "flash" them. Leave the badge on your knee so they can see it when they look in, but they don't want that crap showing up on their camara. If they know you are a fellow LEO or Firefighter, you have to be a real dick to get written up. My frustration has been obvious to a few, but i was not a jerk, and got off with a verbal warning multiple times. Got pulled over by a Trooped coming back from the beach last year, pulled the ID out so it could be seen on the center console when he got up to the car, but the wife thinks I am trying to just get out out of the way of my licance and tried putting it away herself. When I gave her the "What the Hell do you think you are doing look" I think the trooper thought he might have a domestic distrubance on his hands too. He figured it out, ran my info for warrents, came back to the car, gave me my papers back and wished us a safe trip home and said I could tail him all the way to the state line. Don't be a dick, and you will get professional courtesy.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

George, we all thought you lost your mind, but not because of this dimwit...
    Last edited by nyckftbl; 05-26-2006 at 10:18 AM.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Thread Information