Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default CFD test impressions

That was by far the easiest test I've ever taken, no math questions at all. I'd say it was 9th grade english at most. I honestly can't see anyone getting below a 70% to fail it but I'm sure there will be at least a few. What I can't wait to see is how they randomly draw from the 10,000 or so applicants that passed (if it is truely a pass/fail lottery system like I've been hearing). I smell another law suit.

MembersZone Subscriber pedalinmedic's Avatar

Default All in all it aint so bad

I have to say that i was dissapointed in the CFD test. I would say that it was based upon a 4th grade level. of the 25000 taking the test i would imagine that 20000 will pass...making the odds much worse.
    I pride myself on the time i have spent studying, preparing for the cfd test only to realize that any 4th grader would pass the test.
    I basically feel as though i spent 20 dollars on a lottery ticket....and you know what i am cool with that.
    400 ffs a year over 3 years... thats 1200 ff to be hired. that works out to about a 10-15 percent chance of having your "number" come up (assuming they hire 1200 out of 20000 its actually 16 percent, but i want to be more realisitic). I can live with those odds.

I wonder if the friday test went off any better than the thurs test. seriously not starting the test till 1030 really ****ed me off. (small price to pay though if i get a job).

I am testing with 14 departments this year, hopefully something will come of my efforts.

Good luck to all that tested!

FTM-PTB
    "Let no mans ghost return to say that his training let him down"

MembersZone Subscriber

I completely agree with you, the test was incredibly easy. To be honest, the study guide was even bit more of a challenge. haha
    I'm sure they just did it to weed out the ones that only came because they had a free afternoon.
    "if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you" -Friedrich Nietzsche

Forum Member

Remember there's still going to be a physical test... but I'm sure that's not going to be any more difficult than the burbs tests

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NickIF
    Remember there's still going to be a physical test... but I'm sure that's not going to be any more difficult than the burbs tests
    Protein Powder and local high school Running tracks here I come!

MembersZone Subscriber

I also think the first part of the test was easy but remember the second part, it might seem easy but a lot of people fail those personality tests. Or not really fail but dont have what they are looking for.

The test was insulting. I know that I missed 2 of the spelling questions because I went back through and changed my answers cuz I second guessed myself. I think I made around a 95. But.... why would there be spelling for a fire department test?

Why not more reading comprehension, deduction, or.... maybe math. Whoever said the study guide was more of a challenge was right.

Forum Member

Not to insult you but probably because they want you to be educated. Every test I've taken has had at least a few spelling questions. But I agree there was no math, mechanics, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

I also think I missed a few spelling questions, but then again I am a bad speeler Ha Ha I mean speller. I also think the test was easy, but it was a test and I am still worried about it for some reason.

This was the first test that I've taken that had spelling on it. And, i see your point about needing to be educated.

But, wouldnt it be smarter to test a person's deduction capabilities than his spelling. Who would the city want more? A person who can spell penetration correctly out of 5 choices, or a person that can figure out the importance and theme of a selected reading?

Plus, this is firefighting. One has to deal with lengths of hose, pumping pressure, lose of pressure due to floors, and more. Why not have math so that it shows the canidate can actually perfrom the calculations.

But, all of this doesnt matter know. I know I passed and apparently thats all that matters. Thats a whole nother topic to rant on about though

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985
    This was the first test that I've taken that had spelling on it. And, i see your point about needing to be educated.

But, wouldnt it be smarter to test a person's deduction capabilities than his spelling. Who would the city want more? A person who can spell penetration correctly out of 5 choices, or a person that can figure out the importance and theme of a selected reading?

Plus, this is firefighting. One has to deal with lengths of hose, pumping pressure, lose of pressure due to floors, and more. Why not have math so that it shows the canidate can actually perfrom the calculations.

But, all of this doesnt matter know. I know I passed and apparently thats all that matters. Thats a whole nother topic to rant on about though
    you're preaching to the choir. As for the spelling questions... half of the words were in previous questions if you flipped back a couple of pages. lol...

MembersZone Subscriber

well at least you got a chance to take the test. Im in Iraq and couldnt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Now they will randomly select appliants based on their family's political contributions.

half of the words were in previous questions if you flipped back a couple of pages. lol...
    I know. The worst part was, before I left I was bored and flipping through the PPV movies and they had some movie called Double Penetration. So, I come across that word..... and all I can think of would be the movie poster or whatever you call it

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NickIF
    you're preaching to the choir. As for the spelling questions... half of the words were in previous questions if you flipped back a couple of pages. lol...

hahaha! I know and half the people I was sitting with were wearing Firefighter T-shirts that had the words written on them.
    Thank god for that or I wouldn't have been able to spell fire hydrant... HA!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by k3twpfire
    Now they will randomly select appliants based on their family's political contributions.
    Now k3twpfire that wouldn't happen in cook county any sooner than it would in st. claire!!!

Thread Information