Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Share your stories...

The vast majority of times during drills, I usually end up hearing some of the older guys start telling some great stories from the past. It dosen't seem like we have a dedicated thread for war stories, so jakes and probies alike, post em here.

MembersZone Subscriber Shoreman22's Avatar

Well, the dinosaurs came first. They got too fat. They died and became fossil fuel. Then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. Then Prince Charles started wearing Lady Di's clothes....

One summer, at band camp...

Ohh Finch!! Ohh Stifler's Mom!!
    Proud member of the IACOJ.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you....

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

Hey! I went to band camp.

(and there are quite a few stories)
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42

******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42

Me too... and me too!

Drums here... now I play bagpipes though.

As for FD stories? Rescued a deer stuck in a wrought iron fence once... gave it oxygen and then watched the SO put a bullet in it's head.

This one time.....I blew up a $hitter once........

Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Back in the late 60s (that's the 1960s NOT the 1860s) we had a fire in a women's clothing store at around 1:00 am. The fire quickly flashed over, blowing out the front windows and strewing about a dozen mannequins out into the street.
    The chief arrived about a minute before the first engine and, seeing what he thought were bodies, started to freak out.
    Well, during the course of the fire our captain scooped up one of the mannequins and threw it up onto the hose bed of our engine. Back at the firehouse we cleaned her up and , after dressing her in clothes which one of the guys got from his wife, we properly named her "Zelda Flabodnick". (Now that's what you call salvage and overhaul)

Zelda lived in our officers closet for several years, coming out for parties, company dinners and parades. Every firefighter in a two county area knew Zelda and we had some great times with the old girl.
    Last edited by Driver76; 05-28-2006 at 12:50 PM.

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

I've got some great stories from my old man!!! Back when dirt was being formed(1970's), his first house fire he got off the rig and ran into through the front door got a few feet in steppe don a nail and went to the hospital!!! lmao Oh the stories of him and leaving compartment doors open and taking out the garage door tracking and of course the door in the rig was done for as well!!! Oh yeah back when they still used blue lights in town, everyone on the FD lived pretty much within block of each other. When going to a call they would have a challenge on who could get the most air off the railroad crossing!!! Oh the times of when the old chief(who BTW was the first full-time chief) would always fall asleep under one fo the rigs!!! Oh the air horn through the bunkroom walls... I could go on forever. I will post more later on!!!

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

Another one...In the old station they shared the building with the coppers and second floor was the FD and the bottom was the PD. It was built into a hill. Well there was a jelousie window in the rear and at PD shift change they'd throw black cats and such down at the coppers!!! Oh and the stories of taking poops int he crappers of homes that were bruned up!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1
    As for FD stories? Rescued a deer stuck in a wrought iron fence once... gave it oxygen and then watched the SO put a bullet in it's head.
    Similar Story only the deer was stuck in a hot tub in the winter, and the cop didnt warn us that he was gonna shot the deer. Nice deer though, wish it was a buck.

If you wanna have some fun with the new guy. We took a smoke machine and put it just inside the bunk room door on both sides of the bunkroom at around 330am one fine morning. It was this new guys first night at the firehouse, so of course how can we not mess with him (right?) So we fill the whole bunkroom with the fake smoke and don full PPE, (air packs masks breathing air, everything, including a water can and tools), so after getting a good laugh at what we are about to do, we storm into the bunk room shouting and yelling for him to get up and get out of the room because the firehouse is on fire and completly drench him with the water can. He jumped out of bed and hit the floor running, knocking one guy over in the process. He was a pretty good sprt about it, which is always a good thing.
    "Let no man's ghost come back to say my training let me down."

Forum Member

Default War Stories and other things

Like most of us I have listened to [and participated in] some great pranks and seen some weird things in my 25 years on the job.
    This one actually just happened last week and is destined to become part of the legends.

We got a call to a "Rescue" at 3.00 am the other night. Because it specified a "ring removal" at a Hospital not too far away I let my heavy Rescue take the call and gratefully returned to my rack.

About 1 hour later my Office phone rang and the Comms guy at the other end told me that my Rescue was going to be "tied up for a while". I asked him what was the story,it was flagged as a "Ring Removal", this was normally 10 -20 minutes at most.

Apparently a male 45 y/o had presented at Accident and Emergency in severe pain with [count em] 16 spring steel flat washers on his penis!

My Rescue crew were attempting to remove said items with a Dremel tool but due to the medical complications they had to scrub up and carry out the procedure in an Operating Theatre.
    The Doctor in charge of the A&E had told my guys that unless they hurried up then an amputation was going to take place. No pressure at all!

The procedure [successful] took about an hour and a half and the guys returned to the Firehouse about 6 am. Naturally the usual jokes were going round in the mess room,and of course spread through the area, very quickly!

No body ever found why the patient had this bright idea that his member would look and feel better with 16 washers on it. People are funny cattle!

Years ago I was at a house fire at a SFD. the husband [a big burly guy] and wife were huddled outside as the crews worked inside.
    My crew were pulling ceilings on the second floor to check for extension. As one of my guys pulled a hallway ceiling a [large] quantity of female clothing fell to the floor.
    And let me tell you this was not your usual ladies clothes! This looked like the complete inventory of Fredericks of Hollywood,or Victoria's Secret! All lace and ribbons and stuff like that.......and interestingly enough all in "Large" sizes!

We bundled it all up and took it outside to the couple.Thinking that they would be glad to have at least some of their belongings saved.

Jeez if I had my time over I don't think I would do that again

The wife,who was relatively petite, looked through the garments and remarked that they didn't fit her. We told her where they were found and watched as she digested this information.
    The guy looked like sh*t.......apparently he was a little "in the closet".....and we'd just let his particular kink out of the bag!

The temperature became positively glacial,we retreated quickly and left them to work this one out for themselves!

But ...... did we laugh all the way home!!!!

Forum Member

My captain told us a story of a medical call he ran years ago. When entering the home they discovered that the patient had inserted his nose hair clippers where the sun don't shine. To top it off, he had it on. Captain said that the hum of the clippers could be heard. Upon entering, the patient is reported to have stated "I'm the king!" followed shortly by "can you get it out?" Being that he had succeeded in getting it all the way in, the paramedic said he wasn't qualified to perform the procedure required to retrieve it. I understand that surgery was required to remove it. I doubt anybody will challenge him for the crown.

"It was a million to one shot doc, a million to one..."

Oh what the hell, I'm for resurection of an old thread.

Where do I start?

One the best stories to learn about watching what you say on a call happened to my crew some years ago. We just got a new heart monitor/defib (the old ones with the cassette tape in them) that was the size of a suitcase. It had huge batteries in it too. We were still new to the operation of it and aparently some of the maintenance on it too.

We were called to a possible pulseless non-breathing male that was still in bed, one of those "Saturday morning wake up dead" calls. His wife woke up, tried to wake her husband, found he was cool to the touch, and was not breathing. She got up and called 911 from the only phone they had in the kitchen. While she was talking to the 911 dispatcher she said "I think he's dead." Meanwhile, her husband had woke up and came into the kitchen. He was standing behind her, heard her talking on the phone, said "I'm not dead!" and scared the bejesus out of her to make her pass out.

So anyway, we arrive to find the husband awake standing over his wife who was on the floor. Confused us but ok then, so we hook up the monitor to her and checked for vitals. One of my guys said "ah, this suckers dead" meaning the battery in the monitor. The husband heard this and took it that his wife was dead and suddenly started having chest pains!!!

She started to wake up and saw her husband alive and started to calm down, he saw her wake up and started to calm down and we all started laughing about it. Turns out we ended up transporting both because of chest pains. They were both treated and released from the ER and sent home together.

Talk about a messed up call.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post

We were called to a possible pulseless non-breathing male that was still in bed, one of those "Saturday morning wake up dead" calls. His wife woke up, tried to wake her husband, found he was cool to the touch, and was not breathing. She got up and called 911 from the only phone they had in the kitchen. While she was talking to the 911 dispatcher she said "I think he's dead." Meanwhile, her husband had woke up and came into the kitchen. He was standing behind her, heard her talking on the phone, said "I'm not dead!" and scared the bejesus out of her to make her pass out.
    LOL... thats a good one

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post

Where do I start?

One the best stories to learn about watching what you say on a call happened to my crew some years ago. We just got a new heart monitor/defib (the old ones with the cassette tape in them) that was the size of a suitcase. It had huge batteries in it too. We were still new to the operation of it and aparently some of the maintenance on it too.

So anyway, we arrive to find the husband awake standing over his wife who was on the floor. Confused us but ok then, so we hook up the monitor to her and checked for vitals. One of my guys said "ah, this suckers dead" meaning the battery in the monitor. The husband heard this and took it that his wife was dead and suddenly started having chest pains!!!

She started to wake up and saw her husband alive and started to calm down, he saw her wake up and started to calm down and we all started laughing about it. Turns out we ended up transporting both because of chest pains. They were both treated and released from the ER and sent home together.

Talk about a messed up call.

Poor people. Got a huge laugh from that and some others above.
    ~But with God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26~

~The very worst fire plan is no plan. The next worse is two plans. ~

~Stay Safe! Everyone Goes Home!~

They both are doing and going strong in their late 70's now still living at home. They actually go for walks in the evening holding hands.
    I think that's pretty cool.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Well there was this guy , and he thought it best to get intamate with a bottle of bbq sauce. a rare moment when the wackiness of the in house dispatch actually depicted the scenario quite well. the victim was advised to locate himself on the stretcher as gingerly and slowly as possible.. bottle was succefully removed in the er , but the gentleman had to undergo surgery to remove the label ..

we cant make this stuff up .. i dont look at bbq sauce quite the same anymore... but i would never let the circumstances of a call interfere with good eatin ....

Quote Originally Posted by bfd190 View Post
    Well there was this guy , and he thought it best to get intamate with a bottle of bbq sauce. a rare moment when the wackiness of the in house dispatch actually depicted the scenario quite well. the victim was advised to locate himself on the stretcher as gingerly and slowly as possible.. bottle was succefully removed in the er , but the gentleman had to undergo surgery to remove the label ..

we cant make this stuff up .. i dont look at bbq sauce quite the same anymore... but i would never let the circumstances of a call interfere with good eatin ....
    I hear ya! You just can't make this up. We had a guy who "fell" on a plunger and had it jammed halfway up his Jihad!! Riiiiight. Great aim there tough guy!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Classic^^^^

Talking

One sunny Sunday afternoon about 20 years ago, we decided to have cook-out at one of our stations.

The crew that day was myself, another firefighter Ill call "T", the CO and Ts brother and volunteer who we will call "D".

We told D to pull the grill outside and light it. Now keep in mind, the bays at this station have metal walls. So anyway, D is outside next to the bay wall. I take up position just in front of the bay door were I can see both the inside and outside of the wall.

Now this old grill you had to light with a lighter, and it never fired the first time. D turns on the gas, bends down, and starts to put the lighter into the hole in the bottom.

At this point, T walks up to the inside of the wall (directly behind were the grill is). He has a shovel.

Just as D bends down for his second attempt, I give T the signal and BOOM!!, shovel meets metal bay wall.

D screams like a girl, jumps about 4 feet in the air, and pees his pants.

At this point, Im finding it hard to breath Im laughing so hard. T comes out, laughing like crazy, with shovel still in hand.

D takes one look at his brother, and the shovel, and the chase is on.

D catches T, picks him up, and throws him in the retention pond thats in front of the station.

I dont recall much after that, I must have passed out from lack of oxygen.

Man...the good old days. :
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thread Information