Thread: south florida

MembersZone Subscriber

Default south florida

hello....i am a firefighter emt in south florida and have been having a hard time getting hired due to the fact that i am not currently a paramedic.....i am curious to know how long the fire inspector classes are and if anyone knows of any depts that may hire with only ff and emt certs........i figured maybe if i get my cert for fire inspector maybe once im on with a dept i can then get my paramedic cert.....its been kind of hard to work full time and try to go to medic school at the same time.........any input would be greatly appreciated....thanks in advance.......

Forum Member

You will have that problem almost anywhere. I live in and work for a west central florida department. Pasco County Fire Rescue, Hernando County Fire Rescue, Citrus County Fire Rescue, Orange County Fire Rescue, Tampa Fire and Hillsborough County Fire Rescue all hire FF/EMT's but some require Paramedic within a specified number of years. Perhaps there are some in South Florida that do the same. Unfortunately, you will always get bumped from a slot by a FF/Paramedic.
    The problem I see with getting your fire inspector cert and then going after your paramedic is that as a fire inspector you will most likely work a forty hour work week. Most paramedic programs are set up to run during the day like normal college classes or are shift friendly for fire fighters on duty. This puts you back in the same predicament that you are in now. Also, inspector positions don't open up too often.
    Perhaps you could go to work for a private ambulance service to begin with. They may even help pay for your paramedic as well as give you a schedule that will work around your classes. This would also give you valuable experience that fire department employers look for. Other than that you may be able to get a job as a fire rescue dispatcher. The last department I worked for was so desperate for dispatchers that they would hire people in your situation knowing it was only temporary.
    The only other advice I can give you is to put applications in everywhere you can. I see a good number of firefighter applicants put in one application at a time only to be turned down then start the process all over again somewhere else. It can take 3 to 6 months per application. You may not end up where you want to be, but at least you can call yourself employed. You can then get your paramedic cert and apply for the department you want having gained the cert and experience.
    You are not alone in this problem and I am afraid there is no easy answer. You have to look at your personal situation to find the solution that best fits you.
    Good luck!

Forum Member

I should have also mentioned that most hospitals will hire EMT's as ER Techs. Hospitals will often assist with Paramedic certification both in tuition assistance and flexible schedules. This may not be the job you want, but it is a path to get there. It also provides a great second job once you are hired to bring in more income. You will get experience at a hospital that you can't get anywhere else. It is my opinion that a certain amount of hospital time should be required for all paramedics to bolster their skills. In the field we see patients for a short amount of time, whereas in the hospital we see them for extended periods of time. Just one more option.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks so much for your responce.....it is pretty frustrating that i went through so much to get my ff and emt and i was just praying to land a job and then go forward with my medic cert..........i think i will just do as you suggested and try a ambulance co. or a hospital to try to help the situation somewhat.....thanks again for responding i appreciate it.........

Forum Member

There is a company called Life Safety Training that has been successful in helping ff/emt get prepared for their oral interview. In the past they have traveled to teach the class if the class has a minimum of around 10 students. the cost was around $75.00 a head. The information you recieve is priceless. Their company also gives one on one instruction. I say this because if you get hired as an ff/emt, usually the dept will send you to paramedic school and pay for your inspector classes. www.lifesafetytrainingLLC.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jclarke View Post
    hello....i am a firefighter emt in south florida and have been having a hard time getting hired due to the fact that i am not currently a paramedic.....i am curious to know how long the fire inspector classes are and if anyone knows of any depts that may hire with only ff and emt certs........i figured maybe if i get my cert for fire inspector maybe once im on with a dept i can then get my paramedic cert.....its been kind of hard to work full time and try to go to medic school at the same time.........any input would be greatly appreciated....thanks in advance.......
    That sucks. I'm going into the field. i'm actually in emt class and this kind of scares me. Its funny because all of our instructors say we should be out in the field before starting medic class.

Forum Member

What part of south florida?

From what I hear Miami/Dade etcc is pretty tough but I know for a fact that the west coast, Fort Myers area, is easier. Its possible to get a job as an EMT/FF their making sure to let them know in your interview that you are interested in paramedic school. If you are a medic you pretty much write your own ticket. Check out www.floridafirejobs.org, and I know the department I'm working for is hiring 30-40 within the next year, we have two new stations to staff at 7 per shift per station.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by medic563 View Post
    What part of south florida?

From what I hear Miami/Dade etcc is pretty tough but I know for a fact that the west coast, Fort Myers area, is easier. Its possible to get a job as an EMT/FF their making sure to let them know in your interview that you are interested in paramedic school. If you are a medic you pretty much write your own ticket. Check out www.floridafirejobs.org, and I know the department I'm working for is hiring 30-40 within the next year, we have two new stations to staff at 7 per shift per station.
    I was amazed the amount of applications MDFR received in late '05 - '06. The figure is staggering, more than 6000 applications. I am from south florida too, and someday I want to work for MDFR, but I will begin my career up here in Central Florida were I graduated from fire school.

Forum Member

I just moved down from CT so I'm use to massive numbers for only a couple of jobs. I moved to the west coast and jobs are a plenty. Sue I wouldnt mind running a crap load more fires like you must get in miami, but the medium size department i'm at keeps me busy enough to stay interested but not so busy as to get burnt out. Alot of the guys I went through fire school with, I had already been picked up beforehand, that only had ff/emt at the end got jobs. At least the ones with some sense and physical agility about them.

Up in CT you would have an easy couple hundred applicants for an opening or two.

Florida Boy!

Missouri and Colorado but from the East Coast!

Honestly,
    The Fire Medic is a truly sought after position for potetial Depts, FF/EMTs are a dime a dozen you will see a few hundred show up for a position or two...where you might only see 10-30 FM's show up for 5-10 spots....in South Florida with 95+ % of the call being medical and most FD running transport Depts want Fire Medics for there busses to get there senior Medics back on Engines..due to extreme burnout and high turnover!!!! be quick because the big population boom is over, now people are starting to leave Florida due to outragous tax bills and home owners insurance, huricanes, crime, poor education system and expensive housing.....we were paying over 12,000/year for taxes and insurance on our middle class home...like 1000/month without adding in Principle and intrest..

good luck!

Forum Member

I have a few questions for some of you. i would like to know what the difference in paramedic and emt. i apoligize for the noob question. i am training for the fire academy now and reading through the forums learning as to what to expect. thanks in advance

Florida Boy!

Missouri and Colorado but from the East Coast!

The diffrence?? 12 months and 12,000 dollars, married to a bus, always doing paperwork, being called an ambulance driver not sleeping, and maybe 10% more $$$.....

suposed to be funny!!
    There is Life outside the Firehouse!

Forum Member

lol thanks

Thread Information