MembersZone Subscriber

Default Help with shift schedule

Our chief has mentioned that when one of the current fire investigators on our department retires next year, he might not be replaced. He mentioned a schedule that was not clear to me. We currently work 24 hour shifts. 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 4 off. All the days are covered with the three of us. What he proposed was: 1 Invest would work 24 Monday, 24 Wed. and 12 Fri., while the other investigator would work 24 Tues, and 24 Thurs. and someone would be on call Fri. night , Sat. and Sun.
    Anyone ever hear of this schedule, How does it work out, Is it good or bad. Any comments appreciated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ussmertzdd691
    Our chief has mentioned that when one of the current fire investigators on our department retires next year, he might not be replaced. He mentioned a schedule that was not clear to me. We currently work 24 hour shifts. 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 4 off. All the days are covered with the three of us. What he proposed was: 1 Invest would work 24 Monday, 24 Wed. and 12 Fri., while the other investigator would work 24 Tues, and 24 Thurs. and someone would be on call Fri. night , Sat. and Sun.
    Anyone ever hear of this schedule, How does it work out, Is it good or bad. Any comments appreciated.
    I am confused. Currently how many people work as shift investigators now? If there are three and it is being reduced to two then I would suggest that you both work days and have a rotation call schedule for after hours. Another way to justify keeping the current staff level is by providing the numbers of actual investigations and the amount of work completed by the division. It may be that the Chief is not fully aware of the amount of work done by you and your fellow investigators. In your current situation who handles the follow-up investigations and the filing of the cases?

Back to your original question. I have only heard of this schedule. Person A would work Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Person B would work Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. On alternating Sundays you would be required to work an extra shift (each would have to work a 48 every other weekend). Persons that I know that have worked this schedule do not like it. You really have no time to decompress before that you are back at work again.

Hope this helps.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

First off, you have to understand, we dont want this. It's just something comming down the rumor mill and I was trying to figure how it would work. As for now our rotation is 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 96 off. We work our own cases and follow up on them. If it means work on off day then we get 2 for 1 added to comp bank. Befor I became the 3rd investigator the guys worked days with a rotation of being on call nights and weekends.(1 week at a time.) We are busy enough that we need the 3rd investigator when our senior guy takes the drop, but the only thing our chief and mayor wants is to cut the budget. Honestly the overtime would pay for the new guy, by the way already has the Academy arson class. Go figure, POLITICS. Also, the schedule that I heard would not involve weekend work or a 48 hour shift. They would pay hell to get me to put in 48 in one stretch.

Forum Member

I understand (not really) the budget thing. Maybe it is time to get the IAFF involved, if you have a local. They are good at getting results when the budget axe is about to fall. I do agree with you on the 48 hour shift. Good luck, it sounds like you are going to need it. We have the same problems when it comes to replacing personnel. Some think that is cheaper to hire overtime than to hire new personnel. Only problem is the overtime does not come out of the same budget as normal salaries. It seems that the O/T budget goes away real quick when you continually pay to cover the shifts.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Thread Information