Forum Member

Default Mack Chassis w/ Custom Cab

Hey guys i remember seeing a long time ago some company took a new Mack commercial chassis and engine and put a custom fabricated cab on top of it. Anyone remember seeing this?

Forum Member

Default Oops

Sutphen built a one off a couple of years back with a Mack E-7. I believe right after the CF was discontinued Pemfab offered the Mack engine installed in their chassis with a grill modified to resemble a CF. Not many were sold. Providence had a special hazards rig built on that chassis.

*Edit-Pemfab is the co that offered the Mack Engine not Simon Duplex. Saw a pic of Providence Special Hazards 1 on Firepics and realized my error.
    Last edited by DonRobbie; 05-28-2006 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Mistake

Forum Member

Default McSutphen

That would have been Sutphen. I believe that they actually built two or more of them as demos, but I'm not certain of it. I know that they did at least one, because we had it in our station for about three days to try out. I say there may have been more than one because a year or two earlier they had one on display at Pa. Fire Expo. I recall that there were some details that were different.

Ted Sutphen had taken a Mack CH single axle chassis, removed the cab, made whatever modifications necessary (such as relocating the steering box), then put a Sutphen fire truck cab on it. The truck had a 427 Mack engine and an Eaton/Fuller Roadranger 10-speed overdrive AutoShift transmission ( a version with a clutch pedal that you had to use when starting or stopping). It had a Waterous CSU pump and a stainless steel body. The workmanship on it was good, and it drove and pumped well.

We got them to bring it in to us because we were considering buying it. Turned out it had some problems that made it unsuitable. For one, the engine was under the cab,but the cab didn't tilt. I opened the service access flaps and visualized myself doing basic stuff like changing fuel filters. It looked impossible.

I had a question on operation of the transmission in pump mode, so I called the Roadranger help line. One thing led to another and I wound up speaking with a senior engineer. Turns out someone (presumably at Sutphen) had figured out how to modify the AutoShift software to get it to go into direct or overdrive for pumping. Eaton/Fuller hadn't done it with that version of the transmission (they had done it with other versions), and wouldn't support it.

One of our drivers couldn't deal with a clutch.

We passed on it. It was on their web site for a very long time. I understand that they wound up putting an Allison transmission in it before they were able to finally sell it. I don't know where it wound up. I liked the idea of having a Mack chassis, I owned two F models during my twelve year trucking career, great trucks. Too bad they didn't pay more attention to the details. The price was right, we'd have even had enough money left over to take out the CSU center section and replace it with a CMU.

There have been many cases of people taking existing CF Macks and replacing the cabs with something else. I know Horsham, Pa. had Pierce put a Pierce cab on a CF Mack 85' Snorkel that they had. And I remember seeing an engine (I think) in Maple Shade, N.J. that had a replacement cab on it. Don't know for sure, but I think it was a Spartan cab and I think Interstate Mack/Interstate Truck Sales in Hagerstown, Md. did the change.

I have always wondered why Mack (or someone) didn't take the MR chassis and put a fire truck cab on it. Turns out there's limits to how much engine you can put in that one, based on cooling system capacity. That one could be overcome. Must be other problems, too.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

Forum Member

Default McDuplex

You're quite right. I have a picture of one my workroom wall. Harvey Eckart has a picture of one (it) in one of his many great Mack books. I don't know how many were ever built, Harvey might. The one I'm thinking of did show up at Pa. Fire Expo. New Lexington did the body. I'm not sure, but I think they used a Darley pump on it. I'm pretty sure it's somewhere in Penna. Maybe someone who knows more about it will chime in and let us know how it has worked out. I remember seeing some Duplex propaganda advertising a full Mack drivetrain (except trans, that was Allison).

Forum Member

Thanks for the info guys, I recalled seeing a photo of the Mack/Sutphen on a obscure website long time ago. Knew bacn then that it wasnt a real Mack and something about Sutphen got me intrigued about that truck. So does anyone know the whereabouts of the rig?

Forum Member

Default McSutphen

I'm reasonably sure that it's in the northeast someplace. New York State comes to mind for some reason. Maybe Jill at Sutphen East could tell you. She had it there for a long time, probably until it sold.

Forum Member

The Mack/Sutphen demo pumper sold for $ 190,000 , I don't know what department purchased the rig from Sutphen East . It was a very nice looking stainless steel pumper!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default hope this helps

did a search and found this.
    http://www.centerfiresales.com/truck...assis%20Pumper

Hope this helps

Forum Member

Default Looks like it.

That photo looks like it right after Sutphen got done building it. When we had it, the Mack name on the grille had been taken off and replaced with something with no name on it. It appears that Mack had taken exception to the whole thing. I had been told that the Fuller trans had been replaced with an Allison. Or is it possible that there were more than one of the trucks built?

Forum Member

Heidlersburg, PA (Adams County) Engine 25-2

Thread Information